2013 lx570 suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My understanding was/is that they burned it out, but it was a very long, drawn out, frustrating process with many people involved, and it's entirely possible that things were miscommunicated. If you want to read about it, the fun starts with this post: Builds - eatSleepWoof's '14 LX - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/eatsleepwoofs-14-lx.1112565/page-7#post-13044518
Wow, that's crazy. I remember reading some of that back then. If I followed correctly, though, the burned out pump was a comment from a subsequent tech that never actually saw the pump in question?

My money is still on a stubborn air pocket, AHC-fluid-gel (there were contaminated fluid batches around 2020-2021, acknowledged internally by Toyota in Nov 2021, supposedly) or un-primed pump. The final pump install probably just went more smoothly or a tech properly primed the pump. That wouldn't be the first time that dealers were completely perplexed by a failure to pressurize and/or a pump assembly replacement for a non-pump problem. If the pump got gelled by bad fluid that could gum up the first pump AND the subsequent replacement. The pumps are fixable - just have to disassemble the pumps and clear out the mesh screens - but I'm sure that's beyond their scope of work. Just throw another $5k assembly at the problem, haha. By the time they added the final pump, perhaps all the gel had been sucked into the previous two pumps and was out of the reservoir.

Side note, I'd love to see how Mercedes does with their far more advanced hydraulic systems. They're German - so you'd assume more complicated for a similar level of performance - and also way more involved than the Lexus//Toyota system. Toyota/Lexus AHC is ~750 psi. Mercedes is 3000+ psi with no mechanical spring to assist.

So after i got the truck back from the dealer and having them replace the lines all 3 of them, the ride improved very well. It gotten very smooth on the freeway and on bumps. I found a shop that will do all 4 shocks with new bushings, 2 cans of AHC (2.5L) fluid for around 1600, wish is a great deal from the dealership wanting 3500.

So after i got the truck back from the dealer and having them replace the lines all 3 of them, the ride improved very well. It gotten very smooth on the freeway and on bumps. I found a shop that will do all 4 shocks with new bushings, 2 cans of AHC (2.5L) fluid for around 1600, wish is a great deal from the dealership wanting 3500.
Well your dealer clearly knows AHC. I would try and negotiate with them to lower the cost. I would not trust 3rd party shop over a competent Lexus dealer, even if it costs more at dealer.

Well your dealer clearly knows AHC. I would try and negotiate with them to lower the cost. I would not trust 3rd party shop over a competent Lexus dealer, even if it costs more at dealer.
I tried to negotiate with them but they wouldn't drop a penny. The shop I found have experience with ahc system, they delt with lx470's changing globes and having fluid flush.

So my Lexus has been maintained at the dealer since new, it has 145k miles on it. I get a video inspection from the dealership claiming all my shocks are leaking and the ahc rear line also leaking. Note I spray fluid firm yearly, maybe they are seeing that and think the ahc is leaking. I have no issue with the suspension, it works perfectly. I'm thinking the dealership wants to make alot of money. Here's the video I got sent from the dealership

Check your suspension fluid often, if there's a leak you should be able to tell. Almost bet their seeing the fluid firm.

Wow, that's crazy. I remember reading some of that back then. If I followed correctly, though, the burned out pump was a comment from a subsequent tech that never actually saw the pump in question?

My money is still on a stubborn air pocket, AHC-fluid-gel (there were contaminated fluid batches around 2020-2021, acknowledged internally by Toyota in Nov 2021, supposedly) or un-primed pump. The final pump install probably just went more smoothly or a tech properly primed the pump. That wouldn't be the first time that dealers were completely perplexed by a failure to pressurize and/or a pump assembly replacement for a non-pump problem. If the pump got gelled by bad fluid that could gum up the first pump AND the subsequent replacement. The pumps are fixable - just have to disassemble the pumps and clear out the mesh screens - but I'm sure that's beyond their scope of work. Just throw another $5k assembly at the problem, haha. By the time they added the final pump, perhaps all the gel had been sucked into the previous two pumps and was out of the reservoir.

Side note, I'd love to see how Mercedes does with their far more advanced hydraulic systems. They're German - so you'd assume more complicated for a similar level of performance - and also way more involved than the Lexus//Toyota system. Toyota/Lexus AHC is ~750 psi. Mercedes is 3000+ psi with no mechanical spring to assist.
I had a hydraulic compression fitting fail on my SL55 suspension, it was lower front by radiator, it was a mess and every warning light came on including STOP car turn engine off, Do Not Drive, Danger... covered the AMG engine and everything else under the hood in oil, $1,800 repair

I had a hydraulic compression fitting fail on my SL55 suspension, it was lower front by radiator, it was a mess and every warning light came on including STOP car turn engine off, Do Not Drive, Danger... covered the AMG engine and everything else under the hood in oil, $1,800 repair
$1800 is cheap compared to what AHC repairs costs.....

Imma replace the suspension just Incase, I'm planning to keep the truck for a long time so if I get another 10 years I'm happy with it. I already bought all the parts including the upper and lower cushions for the front & rear, 2 cans of 2.5l ahc suspension fluid cost me $1,050 OEM parts. If I accepted the dealership repair they only replacing the shocks and struts only no new cushions, for about $3,600.

Last edited:
Might as well replace the springs while your in there.

So lucky me, I found a certified mechanic Lexus technician ( 20+ years of service) I bought all parts including the fluid. Front & rear shocks, cushions, and (2) 2.5l suspension fluid (Paid them by my American express points) He changed me $1400 for labor. I saved about $3k which is a good deal. Picked up the truck today and the ride difference is noticable. Next project is the globes. Plus thing to add, dealer wanted $700+ for transmission flush, he'll do it for $300. It takes about 12 quarts

I also have 2013 lx with 156000 miles with three struts that leaking or look wet.

Did you get strut mounts replaced? How about springs?

I ordered the globes. The prices have dropped due to strong dollar. They also have a eBay store front. I ordered directly from their website and it was cheaper.

Yes, including ACH line bolts. I didn't replace the springs. No need for them to replaced, in my situation.

Behind right rear tire. You'll see a cover unscrew it and you'll see the reservoir. Truck must be in N height control. You need a flash light to see the fluid.
I find it much easier to see the fluid level if you drop your spare tire and shine the light at the reservoir from behind, while viewing through the cover that is behind the right rear tire.

I find it much easier to see the fluid level if you drop your spare tire and shine the light at the reservoir from behind, while viewing through the cover that is behind the right rear tire.
This.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom