Builds eatSleepWoof's '14 LX (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dealership called. Turns out they quoted incorrectly for AHC fluid exchange. Their tech says the only way to get to the fluid reservoir is to remove the rear bumper, and they want an extra 2.5 hours of labour for that. They are also worried about potentially breaking some mounting clips and having the bumper not go together as well as it did before. What do you guys think about this? I need to give them a yes/no answer first thing Monday morning.

They also quoted these prices for the other items I inquired about:
- thermostat: $113 CAD / $80 USD
- idler pulley: $171 CAD / $121 USD
- tensioner: 178 CAD / $126 USD

Tech stated he sees no reason to change these items. Given that I'm only at 64k km / 40k miles, I'm tempted to leave them as they are and save some money. Thoughts?

I don't know about the LX, but I can take the LC bumper off in about 20 minutes.

At 40k miles you're probably fine with not replacing that stuff.

I don't know about the LX, but I can take the LC bumper off in about 20 minutes.

At 40k miles you're probably fine with not replacing that stuff.

Definitely sounds excessive. I just did some digging on Mud while on call w/ the service rep and found useful info in this thread. Specifically the note about the tech manual not referencing a bleeder screw on the accumulator; this would explain why the dealership's tech thinks he needs to pull the bumper to get access to drain the fluid. Passed on the info, they'll call back on Monday.

There is a dedicated access door behind the right side rear tire. No bumper removal is required. Nor will it help. There are four bleed valves two on each sides. Do those and you’ll get most all the fluid if not all.
I suggest you have them stop and you buy four liter of fluid instead It is an easy job to bleed and if they screw it up you’ll have to do it anyhow.

I agree with @grinchy, just do it yourself. I wouldn't let the dealer touch my car if they told me that, they obviously don't know what they are doing.

My dealer charged just a 1/2 hour labor, had it done last year when it was in for the seatbelt recall.

AHC_Fluid_ScrnSht_001.png

Last edited:
My dealer charged just a 1/2 hour labor, had it done last year when it was in for the for the seatbelt recall.

View attachment 2284643

I doubt this was a full flush. It takes 4 liters at $20/liter. Access is indeed in the rear passenger tire well; absolutely no need to remove the bumper.

The FSM pages are here along with some good pictures a few posts after:

A good modification from the FSM is to remove the strainer from the reservoir and pump out as much of the old fluid and then top off with new fluid prior to bleeding.

Last edited:
Just to pile on, my Indy mechanic did not have to remove the rear bumper when replacing my AHC shocks. They bled most fluid out and siphoned the rest by removing the inline filter on the reservoir filler neck.

Got it back from the dealer. They ended up doing the AHC flush with the information you guys provided, so thanks again for all that!

Car drove great on the way home; very smooth. I did notice right away that it felt/seemed to be sitting higher than normal, despite being in N height. After about 40 mins of highway I got back to my city and started playing with AHC. Lowered fine, then started bringing it up to high, and light changed to green so I drove off and the vehicle settled in neutral height. Seconds later I got this:

IDonseb.jpg

Error comes back on after shutting the car off and starting it up again.

Already called the dealer and gave them a heads up that I may need to bring it back. Will check AHC fluid level and do an error code scan in a few minutes. Beyond that I've no idea where to start with this. Any other ideas?

Got it back from the dealer. They ended up doing the AHC flush with the information you guys provided, so thanks again for all that!

Car drove great on the way home; very smooth. I did notice right away that it felt/seemed to be sitting higher than normal, despite being in N height. After about 40 mins of highway I got back to my city and started playing with AHC. Lowered fine, then started bringing it up to high, and light changed to green so I drove off and the vehicle settled in neutral height. Seconds later I got this:

IDonseb.jpg

Error comes back on after shutting the car off and starting it up again.

Already called the dealer and gave them a heads up that I may need to bring it back. Will check AHC fluid level and do an error code scan in a few minutes. Beyond that I've no idea where to start with this. Any other ideas?

My money is on the fluid level...

Run it up and down a few times. Also consider unplugging the battery for 10 min. Probably something simple like fluid level, air bubbles etc

My money is on the fluid level...

I can't for the life of me get a good photo of the fluid level, or even really make it out. I did see the min/max marks, but can't tell whether the fluid is above the max or not.

Do these (best I can do) photos show you anything?

1KnFVhA.jpg

uok9Xa4.jpg

Run it up and down a few times. Also consider unplugging the battery for 10 min. Probably something simple like fluid level, air bubbles etc

Run the AHC up/down? No can do. It seems to have gotten stuck in the low position (same situation that a few others have encountered with this error message).

I did just disconnect the battery and will give it 20-30 mins before I reconnect it.

Does this look right to you guys?

17kHnOZ.png

$45 CAD seems like an awfully low amount of $$ for the AHC fluid.

In my photos it also looks like the fluid is dark/black, whereas I believe new fluid should be pink/red (as per this post).

Had the battery disconnected for some ~25 minutes. Reconnected - no change. Still stuck in low, AHC error message still shows.

Does this look right to you guys?

17kHnOZ.png

$45 CAD seems like an awfully low amount of $$ for the AHC fluid.

In my photos it also looks like the fluid is dark/black, whereas I believe new fluid should be pink/red (as per this post).

Stick a flashlight behind the reservoir from under the bumper or behind the tire.
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but yes, it looks dark.

You need a good 4 liters to fully flush it @ $20 usd per liter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom