2013 LX570 roof rack/rail “inserts” (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also have a 13 LX, >10 years now. Those just don’t seem to stay in place. The first few years I would replace them. I’ve since removed them all, ~7 years now. I like not having them. The groove they fill works as a nice hand hold for putting things on and off the rack.
Just picked up a 14 LX this weekend, notices some random rubber moldings were missing. good to know they fly out, rather than a sign of someone messing with them. are there any water damage concerning with not running them? Any exposed holes or other leak paths now that you removed them?

Just picked up a 14 LX this weekend, notices some random rubber moldings were missing. good to know they fly out, rather than a sign of someone messing with them. are there any water damage concerning with not running them? Any exposed holes or other leak paths now that you removed them?
I’m in Alaska. Tons of snow and ice in the winter and lots of rain in the summer. Like I said ~7 years now with all of them gone and I haven’t had any leaks/damage. They look to be cosmetic to me.

IMG_1039.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpeg

That area is where the body side panels are welded to the roof, then a sealant is applied, smoothed, then painted over.

My (very) long-term concern with leaving them open would be UV degradation of this area then failure of the sealant. Leaves/pollen/dirt collecting in this area then decomposing can also be an issue, depending on where you live. All made worse if you don't garage your rig.

Plus, when they are installed correctly, and here's the important part.. no one goes ham on them with a pressure washer... they stay in place as toyota designed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom