1FZ-FE engine with H55f transmission? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I paid about $3k for a (supposedly) low mileage used h151 and transfer case to my door... Along with the matching 2uz ecu, bell housing, pedal bucket, clutch master, driveshafts, shifter and other assorted goodies. From a 105 in Australia.

I paid about $3k for a (supposedly) low mileage used h151 and transfer case to my door... Along with the matching 2uz ecu, bell housing, pedal bucket, clutch master, driveshafts, shifter and other assorted goodies. From a 105 in Australia.

Neat dude, but this thread is about H55f's.

Back on topic, it's usually not really complicated to mate an engine and transmission together that were never originally meant to. I'm actually amazed no one has documented this combination since running 1FZ's have become pretty cheap on the used market and H42's have become virtually throwaways (H55/42/41 doesn't matter obviously since you just need the front face).

EDIT: Looking through their photo's, it looks like they have a single bellhousing without any adapters bolting the two together. Hmmm.

That certainly looks like an H151f bellhousing to me.

EF6C9E61-0E3F-4457-B376-72F0AC4AD2EB.jpeg

What are the odds that this actually works? Looks like the upper bolts are a bit too high up on the H151f but it may just be the angle of the picture. @beno, are the ten bolts holding the bellhousing to the H151f M10 or M12? They look a bit small to be M12, plus there's ten of them...

H151F-p4.jpg

image-4062276507.jpg

H151: M10
H55: M12

It’s not a big deal to turn up some reducer sleeves... now assuming that bolt pattern works (any bellhousing blueprints available to verify?), the next question is what they did to index the transmission into that bellhousing, four bolts without something tight around the outside of the input retainer is not enough..

I just posted the picture from IG because it reminded me about this thread.

You’d have to talk with FJC about how they did this.

I love the puzzle aspect of figureing out of how to do things like this. Searching for measurements, staring at pictures, measuring.. I’m weird. Or a standard engineer. :lol:

I have to look at the shipping cost but low mileage manual transmissions are common here and pretty cheap. I posted a thread to ask if people could be interested sometimes ago :)
Complete kit can be provided too, as well as maintenance etc ...

Where is @Delancy who claims to have searched to the ends of the Earth for how to do this?

if you can match a 1HD-T to an H55F using 31111-60230 I don't see why you can't use the same to do the 1FZ-FE match with the H55F

So here is the answer fellas. I took it upon myself to look into the bellhousing and if you look closely, it has an FJ Co logo cast into it and also the casting is rougher than OEM toyota aluminum castings...which led me to think this might be sandcasted...and not OEM.

Sure enough, FJ Co confirmed they are developing/developed a bellhousing for 1FZ to H55 and will be going up for sale in November...along with other parts they manufacture.

Bellhousing in the range of $1000-$1500 roughly.

So here is the answer fellas. I took it upon myself to look into the bellhousing and if you look closely, it has an FJ Co logo cast into it and also the casting is rougher than OEM toyota aluminum castings...which led me to think this might be sandcasted...and not OEM.

Sure enough, FJ Co confirmed they are developing/developed a bellhousing for 1FZ to H55 and will be going up for sale in November...along with other parts they manufacture.

Bellhousing in the range of $1000-$1500 roughly.

Well I guess the cat is out of the hat.

:lol:

So it will basically cost twice what I paid for my rig to convert to manual :(

Damn. Didn’t see that coming at all. They must have a lot of trucks lined up because making a bellhousing like that is no small expenditure.

somewhere I read that they were raving about the 1fz/ 5spd (h151)combo, but sourcing of the m/t ecu wasn’t sustainable-so they were running Standalone. The same availability issue of the h151 likely caused them to jump to the h55 option which is readily available.

1fz with a desmog and slightly massaged standalone with 230hp/275tq and a 5spd will work well with any Cruiser platform they work on.

1fz with a desmog and slightly massaged standalone with 230hp/275tq and a 5spd will work well with any Cruiser platform they work on.

Now that is what I want it's just hard to justify the price. Any idea how much the rest of the setup would cost such as shifter, console, pedals, clutch cylinder ect?

By time to grab all the bits and get a standalone you are talking hdj80 money I would think.

yeah but you can get a rebuilt O-mile 1fz plus standalone and mild 10lb boost turbo for the cost of a used 1hdt

1hdt will make 185hp/275tq......that 1fz will make 350hp/ 400tq a lot more reliably than the aged 1hdt.

for a company like FJCo.....they would much rather warrantee a brand new setup than futz with mystery used 1hdt’s with little USA parts support for their customers.

Proffitts ran into this same issue on their swaps of “used” engines and moved to only installing crate or new engines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom