Builds 1997 HZJ77HV-PEU Build (Grey Poupon) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it was tool building day I guess today.... also made up a rear wheel bearing socket/pin thing. I know there is a legit Toyota one but now I have one that seems to work just fine. I will need to file down the treads on the business end because they get hung up a bit but otherwise perfect.

I just tapped the holes with an M8 1.25 tap and re-used some old studs. It’s only 3/16” thick so that might not be enough to last. If so, I’ll go find the Toyota one. But for now, one more hump smoothed out.

wheel bearing tool.png

IMG_3786.JPG

it was tool building day I guess today.... also made up a rear wheel bearing socket/pin thing. I know there is a legit Toyota one but now I have one that seems to work just fine. I will need to file down the treads on the business end because they get hung up a bit but otherwise perfect.

I just tapped the holes with an M8 1.25 tap and re-used some old studs. It’s only 3/16” thick so that might not be enough to last. If so, I’ll go find the Toyota one. But for now, one more hump smoothed out.

View attachment 3265295

View attachment 3265287
On the flange tool, you will see some other spacing across models, but that’s easy to just add some other holes!

As for the tool, I recently had to borrow one to work on my rear hubs, but one I saw that I want to make is milling out 3 of the corners on a 54mm socket. Then it works for front a rear in one tool.

E3D68AC4-796C-41C9-8BF7-8EDD06942C6A.png

On the flange tool, you will see some other spacing across models, but that’s easy to just add some other holes!

As for the tool, I recently had to borrow one to work on my rear hubs, but one I saw that I want to make is milling out 3 of the corners on a 54mm socket. Then it works for front a rear in one tool.

What a great all-in-one solution! SST 09509-25011 and 09607-60020 are both available still last time I checked but modifying an existing 54mm socket this way is great.

Totally, I'm all about dual purpose tools! Especially when its only 43lbs ft of torque.

Apologies if this is taking away from your build thread, and to the people that can make/modify the 54 mm hub socket... there is a dual purpose one available on ebay. Seems good value when you take into account buying the hub socket and then milling or modifying it to do the rear axle.

Apologies if this is taking away from your build thread, and to the people that can make/modify the 54 mm hub socket... there is a dual purpose one available on ebay. Seems good value when you take into account buying the hub socket and then milling or modifying it to do the rear axle.

it's fine. all good info is welcome. if I was super crazy OCD about the build being submitted to the library of congress I might care. That is not the case. just a bunch of nutters dumping nerd info. it's all good.

I wanted to check the 3rd before I shipped it off.... because that is a long and expensive process.
anyways... I decide to gin up a 9.5 service holder ring. I have done a couple of 3rds and the last one I did is still rolling fine @ about 30K miles.
needed to figure out the dimensions of the housing. door card practice made this pretty easy. only took 2x tries to get it nailed

IMG_3791.JPG

After I had the ring, I then made up a quickie flat pattern cut holder contraption that will mount to the front of a cheap hobo freight engine stand.
diff tool.jpg

NICE that works well and it's very solid. not sure I would want to bang out the races but everything else seems well. and I'm a bit rusty having not welding a thing in 3 months or more.

IMG_3792.JPG

Now that we can have our way with that big nasty 3rd. I put a new nut on the drive pinion and got the pre-load back in spec.

IMG_3798.JPG

Once that was good I checked the back lash and it's about .007 so that is at the top of the range but still not out of spec yet.

IMG_3793.JPG

the one thing about re-using old ring gear / pinion setups is the patters are usually not text book. this one is getting like a full bite off the entire ring on both forward and reverse. so... I guess it's not exactly surprising? I think I'm going to put it back in and run it. I should probably check the ring ring runout and flange runout now that I'm putting this down in words.

I think what happens is people run them with the fluid low and it starves the pinion bearings so they get worn more quickly. it also makes them pretty noisy IMO. I will have to price out getting a spare one of these on hand. not sure if the 80 series have the same LSD setup and it's just a matter of swapping out the case.

IMG_3796.JPG

IMG_3797.JPG

Last edited:
while I was under the truck today scraping off the old gasket on the axle assembly thinking to myself - I wonder what Shania Twain is doing today?
I noticed something interesting.... hmm that does not look factory?

IMG_3801.JPG

turns out the baffle was only just sitting there and not engaged on the tabs? interesting? I wonder if that has been the source of the noise and the excess metal sludge in the rear end? after taking it out and cleaning off the 25 years of sludge. hmmm yea that is not working as designed, I think? so, I was able to order one... Jesus I'm never going to get this thing back on the road.

IMG_3805.JPG

ATF cooler install madness

FACT NO ROOM up front NONE, I already rekt one cooler by trying to jam it into the space above the power steering lines. just not going to fit.

here is where I ended up.

I love the front porch on these trucks. When I first encounter them long ago I always wondered why? PTO? Winch? picknick spot? But I'm going to have to give way to common sense for the new non ATF cooler radiator. Everything has pro's n con's, losing the front porch is sad but necessary for the survival of the transmission.

I cut 3 mostly matching rectangles into the bumper, this will allow air flow. the ATF cooler is mounted on some little m6 Rubber Mounts Shock Absorber things. So it’s hard connected to the front bumper. It’s still going to lead a hard life for sure but hopefully the rubber mounts help. I put a new bumper on order since mine is tweeked anyways. I will have to re-do this part so this was good practice. I will also have to figure out some mesh to help keep zombie parts out of the bumper holes. maybe some chicken wire and duct tape?

IMG_3814.JPG

I fabricated a couple different versions of bumper mounts. I reused the nut strips that attach the front porch wings. So it’s really only mounted on 4x M10 now but… after snugging everything down it’s solid as a rock. I made the brackets out of 10 gauge. Also put a hole in the connecting portion so hopefully if the bumper bumps something that will be the folding point. I will have to wait a couple of weeks for sure before I can paint everything. I have no place to paint inside and it’s still single digits outside here in frozen tundra land.

IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

also going to post this info and I hope it was not a waste of money.

I ordered the

L/CRUISER 76 SERIES WAGON KIT

with charcoal plush pile and standard underfelt. The picture looks promising... I'm sure it's not a perfect fit but @ this point getting flooring is either a custom deal or take some concession for 77 owners.

Science experiment #2875 has been completed A442F cooler lines.

I searched all the FSM and trans service stuff but nothing really says here is the output and input. as far as I could see. I guess if you were taking them apart it would be obvious. But I’m not doing that, yet.

the parts diagram does spec
HOSE, OIL COOLER OUTLET, NO.1
HOSE, OIL COOLER INLET, NO.1

the parts diagram does match with what I see IRL.

I started the truck with the cooler tubes attached to clear tubes going into a container. Yes, the left tube is the output. Marked red hot out and blue cool back in. it's a critical difference and I wanted to make sure I was 100% correct with the thermostatic bypass. mystery solved.

IMG_3816.JPG

go team spring clip!

I need to remember this for next time, I always say "this is the only time I will do this..."

For reference whoever plays for team spring clip and needs 3/8" OD tubing onto something else spec’d for 3/8”. Here is a hose/clamp combo that works very well. it's just enough of a pain so it's not slide on with fingers but not so hard you’re poking your eyes out doing it.

IMG_3817.JPG

build tip of the day

if you want to replace the rubber pads around the power steering or ATF cooler lines these ones work. The originals are discontinued or superseded or something? but these ones I had left over from my T4R are exactly the same and work perfect for replacing those old rock hard 25 year old cushions.

IMG_3824.JPG

Stardate 100811.15

ATF cooler mount proto-type version 2023.03.19.549 I ended up ditching the welded version in favor of re-use existing bumper mounting holes. a little awkward because they are made for M12 fasteners. would hold a really heavy oil cooler assembly :/

this worked out pretty well... was a bit of pain to the get MacGyver brackets dialed in but they give it some vibration isolation.

I'm just going to run flex tube for now as it's not very far and I want to see how well this works before I get into crazy bending hard tube. I do like hard lines over soft if possible.

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3822.JPG

IMG_3823.JPG

Now I need to come up with a little understated yet amazingly incredible trim/screen protector assemblies to hide my precision cuts. and drill some holes to re-locate the plate. MN requires front plates.
IMG_3825.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom