Builds 1997 HZJ77HV-PEU Build (Grey Poupon) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pulled the cluster to replace bulbs

I was not able to find the godzilla green ones and I did try to take the old green stuff off the bulbs but it was pretty toasted, oh well I'm ok with losing the godzilla green bulbs. I grabbed 8 extra small lights and pulled them out of the bases to replace the rest of the dash bulbs in the climate area so now I think I got them all. will also put in new plastic cover because the old one was pretty scratched up, will stay clean for maybe 30 seconds but that will be a glorious 30 seconds.

IMG_3495.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

also ordered a couple of new visors because the old ones were eeewwww still waiting on the passenger side.

IMG_3501.JPG

wondering about the foam stuff, some of it is still fine but other places it's turning to dust, does anybody know a part number for it? I can just use garden variety from homedepo if it's no longer made
IMG_3497.JPG

also wondering about this one? must be the air intake and that foam just disapears if you touch it... not sure how hard it is to get that thing out of there? ontop of the blower motor assembly. I could use some other filter media I have laying around and trace it out and cut one, just looks like a nightmare to get out.

IMG_3498.JPG

Here is a good thread on the HVAC stuff, including foam and how to replace it with off the shelf stuff. I used the same on my ducts and its working well. I bought the foam for the flap, but haven't got around to that yet. Mine is like yours and flakes off when touched.

license plate plugs 8mm square.

There is a couple of square holes in the back door, guessing for license plate mounting. I'm also sure toyota makes a little square plug grommets to accept a self tapper. But since I'm not going to be using them I decided to 3d print some square plugs out of TPU. if you don't know TPU is kind of like a rubber, it's pretty flexy and it has a very good UV resistance rating. I made them mushroomed a bit so they should stay put. turned out great. I will include the STL file if anybody else might enjoy this relaxing and engaging form of OCD behavior. :)

STL

plug 1.jpg

plug 2.jpg

IMG_3502.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

Those plugs would also be good for whoever deletes the rear side cladding that is part of the OEM bumper. The square hole seems to be the same size.

My hood bumpers were bumped out for sure so I ordered some new ones along with some other hood stuff.

IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

Truck archaeology never disappoints and these little hood bumpers were a real treat to get off. I ended up having to soak them down in magic juice and even cut the rubber donut off because they were very rusted a bit on the ends that stick thru the captive nut in the rad support. but I did not break anything and eventually got them off.

IMG_3515.JPG

got the new ones installed and adjusted, ah yes no more clunky clunky. I also sprayed the truck with fluid film so it's a goopy mess, trade off between rust and no rust.

IMG_3516.JPG

You can say a lot of good things about Toyota but... there windshield wiper squirt nozzles suck big time IMO. until you have experienced these from Honda you still living in black and white TV land.

IMG_3517.JPG

Your also going to need to remove those freaking hood insulating thing to get at the squirty nozzles
IMG_3518.JPG

I was able to get mine out by very carefully drilling the center out a bit and then using a plastic clip destroyer tool. I had several different designs holding the hood insulation in so... yea somebody has been in here before.

IMG_3519.JPG

but safely removed it without destroying it, as much as possible given it's 25+ years old now.

IMG_3520.JPG

and there we go... blasphemy I know but like I said before it's something I do to all my trucks now. They rock.

IMG_3522.JPG

I feel like you're stalking me. I just replaced all my hood bumpers yesterday (all 6), and I have an order of washer nozzles on order next week. Spooky.

Those Honda nozzles kick ass, though. Wow.

I feel like you're stalking me. I just replaced all my hood bumpers yesterday (all 6), and I have an order of washer nozzles on order next week. Spooky.

Those Honda nozzles kick ass, though. Wow.
Next up is rear door hinges then headlights. Just need to find the time. I think I found a brand new steering column lights and wipers assembly and also I have a steering wheel coming from the Middle East. I talked to ridies seat as well. I will need to sacrifice a seat cover so they can pattern it then leather is also in the works.

Need to figure out seat foams? Wonder if newer 70 series are a suitable option?

Next up is rear door hinges then headlights. Just need to find the time. I think I found a brand new steering column lights and wipers assembly and also I have a steering wheel coming from the Middle East. I talked to ridies seat as well. I will need to sacrifice a seat cover so they can pattern it then leather is also in the works.

Need to figure out seat foams? Wonder if newer 70 series are a suitable option?
@coldtaco just posted about building a seat, not sure if the foam pads he used are the same as in your 77 though. Builds - AK HJ-75 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ak-hj-75.930702/post-14732079

@coldtaco just posted about building a seat, not sure if the foam pads he used are the same as in your 77 though. Builds - AK HJ-75 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ak-hj-75.930702/post-14732079
Yes I saw that post and I will have to order one and compare to see I guess.

I also contacted Ridies and they said they would do a set of fronts + head rests for about $600 if I send them a cover. I have ridies in my 4runner and they are really great quality. We did the fancy nappa. it's really nice thick good quality stuff. Lord Grey commander of mouse squad liked them as well.
jmowgph.jpg

the dome lamp and lic plate lamp assy. on the 77 are out of procuction. I'm sure you could find them someplace but I decide hey lets try some off other 70's?

I used the frame code spec
TOYOTALAND CRUISERHZJ76L-RKMNSVFZJ7#,GRJ7#,HZJ7#,VDJ7#01.2007 - 12.2016

Toyota has not changed things for ever on these trucks. All in 12 V so I just swaped over the bulbs and everything seemed fine. nothing caught on fire so... hey nice! I'm guessing a lot of the generic parts can be swapped around on the 70's. Wondering about interior door handles. Most of the stuff on this truck is still in good condition but of course 25 years old is still 25 years old and I knew getting into this love fest would empty my wallet.

the new 12V lamp assy bolts right up prefect fitment and the wires and plug exactly the same as the out of production part.
IMG_3523.JPG

the 12V dome lamp also is exactly the same so same drill just swap bulbs and nice and fresh.
IMG_3524.JPG

Last up for the day was the rear top hinge. Guessing this is a common wear point because that spare tire hanging off that pupper is going to grind things pretty good, and yes it does. once I removed the plastic cover not much left holding that guy on! also tiny bit of surface rust so I cleaned the surface really well and lubed that area with Fluid Film to slow it down.

IMG_3525.JPG

I now have a mismatched hinge but it's nice and tight now, no more rattle.

I also cleaned the old foam pad off the inside and replaced with new one.

6886190K00PAD, BACK DOOR HINGE

Those little black covers... I nabbed a couple of each type and I forgot to check what is what so I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. nailed it. sometimes bliss is a good thing?

6885190K00 COVER, BACK DOOR HINGE
6885290K00 COVER, BACK DOOR HINGE

IMG_3526.JPG

Nice. I had those 76 series dome lights on a megazip order but the order was held up due to some other parts on the same order being delayed. I ended up canceling the whole order today. Gonna get those dome lights from partsouq I guess.

Make sure you order 63388-60010-B6 and 81260-60010-B6 to replace the yellowed out bezel map light assy up front. 12V spec but it is just a matter of changing out the bulb like you did for the dome lights.

I tried to paint the original bezel and map light assy but the grey was a bit too dark for my taste so I just ordered new using the two part numbers shown above.

My attempt to paint the original....too dark as you can see.

map1.jpg

New grey parts from Toyota.

map3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I had those 76 series dome lights on a megazip order but the order was held up due to some other parts on the same order being delayed. I ended up canceling the whole order today. Gonna get those dome lights from partsouq I guess.

Make sure you order 63388-60010-B6 and 81260-60010-B6 to replace the yellowed out bezel map light assy up front. 12V spec but it is just a matter of changing out the bulb like you did for the dome lights.

Excellent! I was really bothered by the yellowed out bezel, don't look up, just don't look up. partsouq does not have those... and man those are spendy little pieces of plastic. well it's only money I guess

Last up for the day was the rear top hinge. Guessing this is a common wear point because that spare tire hanging off that pupper is going to grind things pretty good, and yes it does. once I removed the plastic cover not much left holding that guy on! also tiny bit of surface rust so I cleaned the surface really well and lubed that area with Fluid Film to slow it down.

View attachment 3192314

I now have a mismatched hinge but it's nice and tight now, no more rattle.

I also cleaned the old foam pad off the inside and replaced with new one.

6886190K00PAD, BACK DOOR HINGE

Those little black covers... I nabbed a couple of each type and I forgot to check what is what so I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. nailed it. sometimes bliss is a good thing?

6885190K00 COVER, BACK DOOR HINGE
6885290K00 COVER, BACK DOOR HINGE
This is great. I just spent a couple hours the other day trying the get my LH door to close correctly. I adjusted the hinges, tweaked the latch, everything. Still wouldn't latch right. I bet it's the RH hinge sagging causing the misalignment.

Did you actually replace the hinge pin? Or the entire hinge.

Last edited:
Excellent! I was really bothered by the yellowed out bezel, don't look up, just don't look up. partsouq does not have those... and man those are spendy little pieces of plastic. well it's only money I guess

I don't know why the outside bezel is so pricey but it is a common 80 series part as well so you should be able to get it stateside. I actually had to get some help getting that specific part but it does show online available through the usual US toyota parts sites so it is worth a try.

I don't know why the outside bezel is so pricey but it is a common 80 series part as well so you should be able to get it stateside. I actually had to get some help getting that specific part but it does show online available through the usual US toyota parts sites so it is worth a try.

Toyota parts pricing kind of makes no sense sometimes? But whatever I ordered from toyota parts deal, give that a whirl and see if I get stuff. was ball park price with them for my 10 mins of shopping around.

Thanks for that part number I was wanting to hunt something down. saved me some detective work for sure.

This is great. I just spent a couple hours the other day trying the get my LH door to close correctly. I adjusted the hinges, tweaked the latch, everything. Still wouldn't latch right. I bet it's the RH hinge sagging causing the misalignment.

Did you actually replace the hinge pin? Or the entire hinge.

I did not see just the pin in the parts, I got the enitre hinge.

6880190K00 HINGE ASSY, BACK DOOR, RH

I think if you let it go too long your going to end up wearing the striker down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom