Builds 1997 HZJ77HV-PEU Build (Grey Poupon) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would you be willing to make me a set once you get this dialed in? Willing to pay you for materials and your time.

I have been wanting to replace my front seats for awhile now with more comfortable ones. Scheel-man isn't my first option but again there aren't many out there either. What had stopped me from doing this was mostly due to lack of brackets for scheel-mans to suspension bases. I just tried to refresh my headrests with newer 70 series headrests that I got from Dave Stedman but they are not going to work without a lot of modification that I am not sure I am willing to do the more I look at it (So much work for little gain). So new front seats is looking better and better to me now.
Yea no problem. It’s why I’m going thru the trouble of CAD design in the first place. I could totally hand make one set of brackets. I figured if somebody else wanted some it’s just a matter of giving them STL or DXF files. Once I do one full set another should be pretty easy.

I will do 2x sets of brackets this run. Will take me a couple of days. My primary goal is to make the brackets just bolt up so if I ever wanted to go back to the OEM seats I can. No cutting or welding.

I’m 100% sure I’m going to order another seat so I have a matched set.

Yea no problem. It’s why I’m going thru the trouble of CAD design in the first place. I could totally hand make one set of brackets. I figured if somebody else wanted some it’s just a matter of giving them STL or DXF files. Once I do one full set another should be pretty easy.

I will do 2x sets of brackets this run. Will take me a couple of days. My primary goal is to make the brackets just bolt up so if I ever wanted to go back to the OEM seats I can. No cutting or welding.

I’m 100% sure I’m going to order another seat so I have a matched set.

Thank you. It will be nice to have new front seats or at least a new driver seat where the foam isn't lopsided despite the OEM fabric being almost perfect.

@FJ73Texas Here is another option for replacement seats, these are out of a Volvo S60, I sourced these from a local junk yard for $300. They have many adjustments, and seat heaters. Also very comfortable compared to stock.

IMG_1984.jpg

@FJ73Texas Here is another option for replacement seats, these are out of a Volvo S60, I sourced these from a local junk yard for $300. They have many adjustments, and seat heaters. Also very comfortable compared to stock.
Those look great.

Which circuit did you wire everything into?

There is another user on here that allowed me to see his "HDJ77" that has (I think) Volvo seats also when I was on a business trip in his area a few years ago. I totally forgot about those Volvo seats but that is a great suggestion and thank you for the reminder. The difference between those Volvo seats and the OEM seats that I am used to was night and day.

success as far as I'm concerned

I did have to create a special little press break mini-bend die to get the bends. Everything in life has costs, seat brackets included. I also made sure I slotted the slider side connections. this way you can point the seat in a direction. seats do not point exactly straight forward. so this way you can tune it a bit.

IMG_3593.JPG

But side by side it's just mm of difference bewtween the seats height, the only part that is slightly different is the front the cushion height and I'm going to chalk that upto 25 smooshed foam. That foam pad as absobed 25 years of farts and that has got to take it's toll.

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3592.JPG

The only real area of trouble was the slider handle and I did a quick test fit on that... no trouble. you can get at all the bolts without too much trouble. ease of maintenance is something I like. Seats do need to come out from time to time, no reason to make it sucks anymore than it has to.

IMG_3591.JPG

I also made some progress getting the first try at door card core's for the rear doors. the clips are all old and break, the press board is flismy, the foam is turning into toxic dust... 25 year old door cards meh. I got the rear doors scanned and tool paths are ready for the plasma table.
I have the same problem on my Troopy and RJ77. I don't suppose you might consider making 2 more pairs....? :) The side panels on the troopy are even worse, but a start with new cards on the rear doors is a start...

I also find it fascinating that you have a 1HZ in your 77. I had it in my mind that it would not fit. Our 77 has the R22 2.8 gasser and the power is not really adequate on the highway. How do you find your 1HZ on the highway? From the dataplate it appears yours has an automatic. Our 77 is a manual.

I have the same problem on my Troopy and RJ77. I don't suppose you might consider making 2 more pairs....? :) The side panels on the troopy are even worse, but a start with new cards on the rear doors is a start...

Lets see how it all works out before I quit my day job and start making custom door cards :)

I don't have a problem cutting more stuff, just takes me forever I'm slow. As you can see by the build I jump in with both feet. Your in the UAE? My god man your in the promised land? troopy accessory should be falling from the sky where you live, I can't believe you can't get brand new OEM door cards for super cheap?

I also find it fascinating that you have a 1HZ in your 77. I had it in my mind that it would not fit. Our 77 has the R22 2.8 gasser and the power is not really adequate on the highway. How do you find your 1HZ on the highway? From the dataplate it appears yours has an automatic. Our 77 is a manual.

I have only owned this truck for a very short time, have done no towing with it and don't have a ton of seat time in it, but the 1HZ / auto seems fine. it zips right along @ 70-75 MPH no trouble. Your not going to win a drag race but it's fine for an old guy like me. :)

I specificlly wanted an auto trans.

I used to own only manual trans but in the past 10 years or so I have switched over, would never go back to manual. It's a personal preference IMO, I have no hate of manuals they are great but I don't think auto trans have the reliability issues they once suffered. Aisin makes good stuff.

I guess I should give more details about the door card plan, just so it's clear.

My plan is to cover my door cards with vinyl, I'm also trying to use the existing mounting solution from Toyota. I have a love/hate relationship with the plastic clips. I harvested the little raised brackets by drilling out the rivets. I then used some little M3 socket flat screws to re-attach them. A little messing around should produce a flat surface. The toyota rivits were proud of the surface just a tiny bit so foam lined vinyl should hide any minor bumps.

I would also like to do a small molle panel for a couple of places. nothing huge just enough to keep a fire extinguiser and first air kit. so light duty only. I think you would have to hard mount things ditching the plastic clips if you wanted to do more.

it's pretty spendy to do this as the AL is about 45$-$55 USD per sheet in this size. It's also very time intensive because getting everything perfect is not easy. I'm pretty new to 3D scanning and so far it's been pretty frustrating learning the in/outs of scanning. it's slow.

IMG_3595.JPG

IMG_3596.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_3598.JPG

I used to have these ABS door cards from Australia on a previous cruiser and didn't like them however seeing your last couple of posts made me want to throw out a suggestion. Perhaps the push in type retainers would serve you better for ease of taking the cards on and off in the future.

These push in type retainers came with a set of ABS door cards I got from Australia and those cards are long gone but you can have these retainers if you want to try them out. I see these sometimes in engine bays but never as interior trim retainers. Not sure how easy they are to find but again I have a bag of them if you want them.

I realize it will make you want to re-do the door cards so the larger hole isn't there but it would be a cleaner look.

retainer3.jpg
retainer1.png

I used to have these ABS door cards from Australia on a previous cruiser and didn't like them however seeing your last couple of posts made me want to throw out a suggestion. Perhaps the push in type retainers would serve you better for ease of taking the cards on and off in the future.

These push in type retainers came with a set of ABS door cards I got from Australia and those cards are long gone but you can have these retainers if you want to try them out. I see these sometimes in engine bays but never as interior trim retainers. Not sure how easy they are to find but again I have a bag of them if you want them.

I realize it will make you want to re-do the door cards so the larger hole isn't there but it would be a cleaner look.

I'm going to contact cement down foam lined vinyl over the metal so I was planning on doing it the same way as Toyota. I would rather not see any fasteners from the outside. make sense? I need to make the "core" of the door cards first, then I can glue the cover on. so yea I would rather not have fasteners visible.

If I was going to do visible fasteners I would just riv nut some M6 into the existing door mounting locations and get some fancy looking pan head Allen screws.

but I'm going to shoot for the factory look, you know like I have Grey Poupon on board.

I'm going to contact cement down foam lined vinyl over the metal so I was planning on doing it the same way as Toyota. I would rather not see any fasteners from the outside. make sense? I need to make the "core" of the door cards first, then I can glue the cover on. so yea I would rather not have fasteners visible.

If I was going to do visible fasteners I would just riv nut some M6 into the existing door mounting locations and get some fancy looking pan head Allen screws.

but I'm going to shoot for the factory look, you know like I have Grey Poupon on board.

Gotcha. I misunderstood what your desired outcome was going to be but that is my fault. If I ever see you at an intersection, I will ask you if you have any grey poupon. Please keep this thread going but I will do a better job of reading what your plan is before jumping in. My apologies.

grey.JPG

Rear 2x door have new aluminum core cards covered in general heavy duty dark grey vinyl. I still need to find the little handle for the right door... I know it's someplace.

I will post the STL/DXF for both these cards. I can cut them for people if they want, just keep in mind I don't do this for a living. my plasma cutter does an ok job cutting aluminum but the cut is not like myan space lasers or water jet.

very happy with the results, ideally you would run some very thin like 2mm low density foam between the vinyl and core but... these are back doors so I'm not going to worry about it. They are going to get banged up again, but at least it will be my bangs!

Right Rear Door Card 2023-01-01 final.stl
Right Rear Door Card 2023-01-01 final.dxf

Left Rear Door Card 2022-12-28 final.stl
Left Rear Door Card 2022-12-28 final.dxf

Test fit before glue time

IMG_3606.JPG

all glued up with cut your dam fingers red clips, little SOB clips.
IMG_3610.JPG

and I got glue on one tiny part :(
IMG_3611.JPG

installed and looking good enough for a going to town rig!

IMG_3612.JPG

Last edited:
I decided to give fleebay a try for a leather wrapped steering wheel from Oman I think? I'm not a huge fan of the rubber coated steering wheels on these trucks... they are super resilient for sure, think pretty much fire would be the only thing that might destroy them?

I was surprised and the leather is in great shape, not period correct for this cruiser but I like leather wrapped wheels so... for now let’s roll with it!

IMG_3608.JPG

I like that! I'm assuming the white part is reflection?

I imported an L200 pickup some years ago and the wheels cover was in bad shape. I bought one of those stitch on covers and it turned out pretty good. Was tempted to try it again on the hzj77, but your idea is way easier. Looks great!

Door cards turned out awesome. As are "Mayan lasers". 🤣

I like that! I'm assuming the white part is reflection?

I imported an L200 pickup some years ago and the wheels cover was in bad shape. I bought one of those stitch on covers and it turned out pretty good. Was tempted to try it again on the hzj77, but your idea is way easier. Looks great!

Door cards turned out awesome. As are "Mayan lasers". 🤣

oh yea that is just a reflection. pretty sure somebody recovered it, they did a great job and the color is a spot on match. I mispoke it came from Pakistan.

I have red-done 2x steering wheels with these guys in TX. They did a great job, as good as factory. So if the leather on this ebay wheel was bad I would have sent it off and had them re-stitch a new cover.

Craft Customs: Steering Wheel Restoration and Customization - http://www.craftcustoms.com/

this where the wheel came from off ebay

xmas came a little bit early. Now if it can just warm up bast 11 billion neg deg.

I will pull the drivers seat and base out and bring them into my heated shop and start looking at how to hook things up. My Plasma water table is frozen solid as rock however so it needs to warm up a bit so I can robot cut again.

I spoke to Toby at scheel-man and just pulled the trigger on one of these. Same color you got as well. Very spendy for me but I am really tired of the worn out drivers seat. It comes with pockets and heat but I am not sure if I will wire up the heat function based off where I live.

I spoke to Toby at scheel-man and just pulled the trigger on one of these. Same color you got as well. Very spendy for me but I am really tired of the worn out drivers seat. It comes with pockets and heat but I am not sure if I will wire up the heat function based off where I live.

are you prepared for the luxury of the scheel-mann complimentary towl?

IMG_3622.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom