1997 FzJ80 Rock Slider Question - Size/length (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At some point I'll update the steps to actual sliders on my '97

From what I understand the length (without front mudflaps) is 69"

So, (maybe a dumb question, but you never know without asking) will ANY 69 inch sliders work, bolted or welded?

I'm asking because I found a set that came off of a non-Land Cruiser but are 69 inches in length, so I wanted to ask if ANY sliders, so long as they are the correct length, will work.

Thanks in advance.

At some point I'll update the steps to actual sliders on my '97

From what I understand the length (without front mudflaps) is 69"

So, (maybe a dumb question, but you never know without asking) will ANY 69 inch sliders work, bolted or welded?

I'm asking because I found a set that came off of a non-Land Cruiser but are 69 inches in length, so I wanted to ask if ANY sliders, so long as they are the correct length, will work.

Thanks in advance.
Depends on how you plan to attach them. Obviously the mounting points will be different.

Do you have the equipment to add/modify the outriggers to get the sliders back to the frame?

I am using the 67" slider from Trail Gear. They are designed for a 4 door Tacoma but if you're welding to the frame then these work great. I've beat the snot out of them and they are still straight and dent free. Only thing you need to know if you go this route is that the frame tapers toward the front on an 80 more than it does on the Tacoma so the front-most leg that comes with the sliders is too short and you'll have to come up with your own. Tough to beat the price if you can weld.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_4990 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Depends on how you plan to attach them. Obviously the mounting points will be different.
Probably best to weld. I have a buddy who can weld...he's been doing it since we were in high school (1995) and it's his career.

Probably best to weld. I have a buddy who can weld...he's been doing it since we were in high school (1995) and it's his career.
As long as you understand the consequences of welding to the frame.

As long as you understand the consequences of welding to the frame.
Ok, so...I don't know anything about sliders other than they protect. I just assumed that it was best to weld?

What would the consequences be?

Ok, so...I don't know anything about sliders other than they protect. I just assumed that it was best to weld?

Welding to the frame can cause brittleness and cracking if not done properly.

There are a lot of people that do it, but I won't because I understand it.

The issue is with the Heat Affected Zone and how it changes the molecular structure of the metal around the weld. There are procedures that need to be followed and how the cleaning and preparation is done.

Last edited:

There are hundreds of people on the forum that have welded to their frames. I've never seen or heard of a single case of cracks developing where sliders are welded. I think you'll be just fine, especially if your friend that helps you weld them is a professional welder.

Last edited:
I would not weld them on, and not because I am concerned with welding to the frame (though it does need to be done properly). I like to be able to remove mine to repaint when needed and to make maintenance and repairs to the truck easier when the sliders would be in the way. If you're modifying the legs to fit the cruiser anyway it's not hard to make a bolt on solution. Mine bolt on and I beat the crap out of them, no issues.

I would not weld them on, and not because I am concerned with welding to the frame (though it does need to be done properly). I like to be able to remove mine to repaint when needed and to make maintenance and repairs to the truck easier when the sliders would be in the way. If you're modifying the legs to fit the cruiser anyway it's not hard to make a bolt on solution. Mine bolt on and I beat the crap out of them, no issues.

That's a really good point, thanks!

Welding to the frame can cause brittleness and cracking if not done properly.

There are a lot of people that do it, but I won't because I understand it.

The issue is with the Heat Affected Zone and how it changes the molecular structure of the metal around the weld. There are procedures that need to be followed and how the cleaning and preparation is done.
Worse on newer frames than the old fzj80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom