Builds 1985 BJ75 Build - Argentina (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys!
I am looking for some advice on the following matter.
I currently own a 1996 HZJ75 that has been transplanted with a 1FZF engine. Overall condition is regular. Missing rear seat, and needs bodywork. Also rear axles and brakes been converted to disc, not a nice job as far as im concerned. Engine runs well
So, today, a friend told me about a 1985 BJ75, one owner and by the pics it seems in better overall condition. It has jumps seats, no sub tank, rear wiper, rear heater and a 3B engine I believe. No more specs from the pictures. Will go and check it out next week.
My questions are the following:
1. Do you guys think its in good condition by the pictures?
2. How hard would it be to swap engines between the two 75 mentioned? What else should I consider in an engine transplant? Harness? Transmission and transfer? Fuel tank? since one is diesel and the other one petrol?
Any input is highly appreciated.
Cheers and have a nice weekend!!
4d526600-3ab5-403d-a3dd-d080df7ae9f8.JPG
5bbfebe7-0d5d-4738-9b73-f8f9992f1c37.JPG
6a57c75c-1f26-47f3-a7c8-9952fc1fb99f.JPG
cc319d3b-d701-4fa9-b006-b800bab6d575.JPG

Fuel tank? since one is diesel and the other one petrol?
All the 7* series tanks are the same part number.
The filler spout may have different size holes for the appropriate fuel bowser.
Diesels are more desirable with the diesel engine.

Hello,

This 75 Series looks good overall. Troopies live hard lives.

The rear wiper is not OEM. I wonder what else is spliced/modified/hacked.

70 Series, Troopies among them, suffer from gutter corrosion. The pictures do no show the gutters enough to see if there is any.

Rust repairs should come first for this truck.

It is the details that complicate engine swaps. Not everyone deals properly with the details.

I would focus on fixing rust and then on checking modifications made by the PO. At the same time, I would set aside resources for an engine swap.

I would swap in another diesel, namely a 1HZ or 1HD-T in this truck.

And I would either sell or leave alone the 1FZ-powered truck.

Juan

I would be upgrading to a larger B engine or another diesel.
Well, I said, I currently own a HZJ75. but unluckily, PO shaped engines from 1HZ to 1FZ
So, My 75 has a regular body with a good motor.
And this 75 I am about to chek, looks to have a good body, and a good engine, not as crispy as the petrol in my 75.
So If I finally buy it, I could swap engines between both trucks!

Hello,

70 Series, Troopies among them, suffer from gutter corrosion. The pictures do no show the gutters enough to see if there is any.

It is the details that complicate engine swaps. Not everyone deals properly with the details.

I would focus on fixing rust and then on checking modifications made by the PO. At the same time, I would set aside resources for an engine swap.

Juan
Will definitely check the gutters.
The one with the 1FZ, could end up in a farm of mine, doing some work, mainly moving people from one spot to the other. Thats another reason why I thought of the engine swap. I'd rather give the guys a diesel...
Unlickily, Troopys are not common in Argentina, neither 80 series. There are lots of 100 series, but finding a 1HD engine alone, it is really hard.
Maybe, If I decide to buy de BJ, I will just leave as it is, fix the rust, and enjoy an original Troopy form that era.
Thanks for the advice!
Cheers

Hello,

Juan
Is this the kind of rust you are talking about on the gutters?
9ea0e7e6-b52b-4e8a-843d-8d0112c7bf5a.JPG

Is this the kind of rust you are talking about on the gutters?

Hello,

That does not look good.

The gutters I mentioned are the ones that go around the roof.

There might be corrosion where the gutters join the roof. A very common issue in 70 Series trucks.

Juan

Hi fellow mudders.
So I checked the truck today. Its a 4 speed trans. Engine has been rebuild a few years ago. Its pretty OEM , some bits and pieces missing but is in a good condition overall. Frame and body seem to never have been involved in an accident.
So on to the rust issues. Overall its OK. But spots with rust are pretty damn ugly. Here are some pics. Do you guys think this is "easy" to repair?
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 23.29.00.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 23.28.53.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 23.28.42.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 23.28.32.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 23.28.22.png

Here is the VIN plate. Whats the difference between this kind of plate and the ones that actually have a VIN number?
From this plate, what can you guys tell about this model, apart from it being a 3B Troopy?
Cheers
Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 08.13.28.png

What about the 2 gauges missing? Oil pressure and Fuel. Is there a way of replacing them or should replace the whole assy?
The gauges are there, they are disconnected, I don't know why. It has some aftermarket water and oil gauges.
The Rev counter is not workin, I don't know if it has to do with the engine rebuilt and something not being connected again.
Also the fuel gauge is not working/connected.
Is it hard to fix these gauges if indeed they are not working? Fuel, Water, Oil and Rev counter.
Cheers, thanks

Any rust you see is 75%-500% worse than you might think.
So you say it is a NO GO? The truck looks real good besides those spots. Considering it is 37 years old and more than 600 K. And there aren't that much troop carriers in Argentina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom