Builds 1985 BJ75 Build - Argentina (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40 and 70 series prices there are insane. But so will the resale so it evens out.

New hilux prices seem like a steal at the dolar blue rate. I haven't been to an actual dealership when visiting so no idea if they even remotely honor a msrp.
Hilux Base model double cab 4x4, USD 24.000 (blue rate), if you pay in pesos at the official rate its about 44.000 USD
Hilux Top of the range double cab, auto 4x4, USD 37.000 (blue rate), Official rate, USD 67.580.
SW4/ Fortunertop model auto, USD 40.600 (blue rate), Official rate, USD 73.150.

Both are built in Argentina, but there is a delay time of about 6 months, some MSRP's aren't honored at all.

So I found out my troopy has an Oil Bath Air cleaner. Is it any good? Is it easy to convert to the paper filter type? Is it worth it?
I bought a Safari Snorkel, the model for the 3B engine, am I going to be able to install it with that Oil bath filter?

Cheers!

Oil bath filter? I thought they were for tractors:D It should function ok as far as filtering dust etc. As long as it seals ok with the snorkel plumbing, it should be ok. You can change it out for a paper filter easily enough, unless parts are scarce.
cheers.

Oil bath filter? I thought they were for tractors:D It should function ok as far as filtering dust etc. As long as it seals ok with the snorkel plumbing, it should be ok. You can change it out for a paper filter easily enough, unless parts are scarce.
cheers.
Will try and get a new Filter so I can use a paper element, Much easier to find paper element around here!
Cheers

So I finally picked up the troopy yesterday. Cloudy and cold day, so good for temps.
It was a 450 km drive home, I took us 6 hours, Top speed, 90 k/h. Filled up with diesel (tank gauge not working), aired up 4 tires, and of we went. It was all in all a nice experience. I got to realize how fast we drive in Argentina on single lane roads, a little bit scary indeed. No issue at all with the truck. Bad brakes (at those speeds it didn't matter at all), wobbly steering (pump has leaks because it is soaked in fluid in that area), toast suspension (OME on its way). No rev counter, no fuel counter, no water temp counter (it has an aftermarket gauge it seems to work), no oil pressure counter (it has an aftermarket gauge it seems to work).
Passing big trucks was a hell of a deal, they stayed in my rear view mirror for like 20 minutes or so! HAHAHAH.
We got home, with 0 issues, really happy with the outcome and the purchase. Spare parts are already stacking up, so sooner than later, I will begin a full refresh, and a body and rust repair and re spray.
Here I post some pics of the trip, hope you enjoy them!
Cheers!
View attachment 2798073View attachment 2798074View attachment 2798075View attachment 2798077View attachment 2798078

Hi, Congratulations.

I also have a BJ75, with the same specifications as yours.

Greetings from Chile

Hi, Congratulations.

I also have a BJ75, with the same specifications as yours.

Greetings from Chile
Thank you my Latin brother!
Whats parts availability in Chile, for those models?

Saludos desde el otro lado de la cordillera!

¡Gracias mi hermano latino!
¿Cuál es la disponibilidad de repuestos en Chile, para esos modelos?

Saludos desde el otro lado de la cordillera!

Enviadme un whatsapp y conversamos, tengo un par de contactos que te puedo compartir.

Oil bath filter? I thought they were for tractors:D
Nope. Very good for very dusty conditions. Oilbath filters still work when a paper element is clogged already.
But cleaning those when full is a real environmental mess, new oil to be carried, and leaking is an issue. Who is driving the Sahara on a daily bases?
Paper elements of course have improved significantly and are state of the art. I would also convert it to paper element.

Nope. Very good for very dusty conditions. Oilbath filters still work when a paper element is clogged already.
But cleaning those when full is a real environmental mess, new oil to be carried, and leaking is an issue. Who is driving the Sahara on a daily bases?
Paper elements of course have improved significantly and are state of the art. I would also convert it to paper element.
Do you think I Can I use the same airbox?

Probably not.
I don't know any details on the oilbath filter housing dimensions. You may give it a try and see whether the paper element fits.
But go for the regular size and make sure there is enough space between element and the housing to allow the air to enter from all sides. You will also need to invent something to seal the bottom and top of the element towards the housing.
I think, getting the appropriate housing may be easier.

Probably not.
I don't know any details on the oilbath filter housing dimensions. You may give it a try and see whether the paper element fits.
But go for the regular size and make sure there is enough space between element and the housing to allow the air to enter from all sides. You will also need to invent something to seal the bottom and top of the element towards the housing.
I think, getting the appropriate housing may be easier.
Thanks!
Totally agree with you. Will have to get a new airbox. Should I get a regular one or the cyclonic one? I will be running a safari snorkel/
Cheers

Hello,

There is a Toyota air box intended for use with a snorkel. It is not cheap but it is worth getting. No need to cut and weld to fit the snorkel piping.

Juan

Hello,

I just have the part number for an HZJ75, 17700-17070.

It is possible it will work with your BJ75.

Juan

Hi Guys!
Parts are stacking up pretty quickly.
Bodywise, I think the best way to go with some parts, is direct replacement. LH door and both back doors are pretty rusted. Part number for BJ75 are difficult to get, so the question is. Are panels from say, and HZJ78 or VDJ78 compatible with a BJ75? I am talking from the A pillar backwards.

Thanks sou much!

Hi guys, not much going on lately, just gathering parts and accessories so that when restoration begins, I won't have to stop (that much anyway) due to spare shortages.
Interior is almost stripped down, as I supposed, front floor pans are TOAST, already order floor pans from AUS (RestroSpares).
Also, I managed to get my Hands on a set of used rear doors, on much better condition than mine, for about USD 250 for both doors with accesories.

One question for you guys. My troopy is equipped with rear heater. Is it worth deleting it? In order to reduce number of connections in the water system? Has anyone done that delete? Thanks in advance
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 16.50.21.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 16.50.31.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 16.50.40.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 16.49.39.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 16.50.01.png
Here a few pics of the little progress.
Cheers

Hi guys,
So restoration hasn't begun yet. But I think I found a guy to do the whole body and paint. Stripping it to its bare bones, fixing all the rust and full respray (OEM color code 033) will set me back 4 K. Inside and out. Do you guys thing its a logical quote?
Of course I have to add stripping the chasis diffs etc to do a full clean respray.
Work will begin in September, so in the meantime, I am still taking photos of the BJ in its current condition.
Cheers

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 12.17.46.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 12.14.16.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 12.14.37.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom