Builds 1979 FJ40 Old School Overhaul (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The first body part I tackled was the rear sill. I ordered a CCOT rear sill and I like the way it installed.
20160807_111242.jpg

I looked inside fender well to "guess" where I was going to make my cuts.
20160807_111255.jpg

And I zeroed in on the spot welds across the back and drilled them out.
20160807_101020.jpg

Then I remove the rear body bolts and bushings....after a day of soaking in Kroil oil. And it came off just like I had done this before....(which I have never done before!!)
20160807_113715.jpg

20160807_114533.jpg

Sorry I didn't get any pics of the installation, but it is straight forward.

At this point the rear body bolts and bushings are holding the sill in alignment. EDIT: I also tacked it to the bed pan.

Which will allow for removal of the quarters.

I did put a 1" angle iron across the back to keep things in alignment .
20160814_172948.jpg

Noooo, I have not cut the quarter yet.
I meticulously clamped the new quarter panel over the old. Once I had it fitting like a glove, I got an accurate measurement and marks. I used new fender as a guide for my cuts.

20160814_184944.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to say I used a couple of wooden blocks to "beat this fender" into submission. What Im trying to say is that I had to drive the fender from the rear, forward, so that there were no gaps in the curve on the corner. Making sure it was tight made for more accuracy. I also hammered the fender up as tight as possible from the bottom. It had good lines in the rear and at the rocker. :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse: Sounds like I beating a dead horse.... but well you know. :smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

Also had spot welds along the front of the quarters panel at the "B" pillar.
20160814_185012.jpg

Vanity shot of my borrowed welder ....thanks @Vae Victus
Also had to drill out spot welds on back brace that the spare tire carrier mounted to.
20160814_193207.jpg

20160814_184957.jpg

I began to notice the seam sealer the factory used and at this point I began to see how this thing was built/assembled
20160814_185022.jpg

:beer::beer:Nice work!! Excited to see how the fender turns out. The rear sill looks great. Your floor is a little better off than mine.

View attachment 1362333
The pile of cords and tools everywhere looks very familiar. What did you use to cut the fender out? That blue pneumatic reciprocating saw?

Thanks Motorv8r.

I bought some air tools but I don't have enough air compressor to run them.

So basically I'm using a cut off wheel on my electric Dewalt 4 inch grinder. And I'm using flapper disc on my other electric grinder. They both are working great!!

I try to draw a straight line and use a steady hand. I did use a piece of angle iron as my guide, but I think a steady hand is the key. And of course making sure you cut the line or leave the line.

I made my copper plate using 3/4 copper pipe. It definitely helps.
And where did you get that idea?

And yea, I think that you need to grind the weld area clean for that light wire....

Great job - nice to see you posting some of your progress!! It helps us all.

Thanks Motorv8r.

I bought some air tools but I don't have enough air compressor to run them.

So basically I'm using a cut off wheel on my electric Dewalt 4 inch grinder. And I'm using flapper disc on my other electric grinder. They both are working great!!

I try to draw a straight line and use a steady hand. I did use a piece of angle iron as my guide, but I think a steady hand is the key. And of course making sure you cut the line or leave the line.

I use a grinder with a cut off wheel as well. Was hoping there was a cleaner less noisy solution.

And where did you get that idea?

And yea, I think that you need to grind the weld area clean for that light wire....

Great job - nice to see you posting some of your progress!! It helps us all.

Hahaha, huh...you:hmm::hmm:??? You can have credit... but I m sure I didn't come up with it...
Fixed it for ya!

View attachment 1362614

Man, I might have missed a spot. :p

Nice!! That's not a :banana:
job:hillbilly:...it's nice to have some tech savvy friends!! You'll have to let me on your secrets on how to make those red circles and pointed lines:hillbilly::hillbilly::hillbilly:.

Here is the installation of the new fender. Once again, I BEAT it into submission to make a tight fit. Clamps and more Clamps.

I installed it for the second time after I cut out the old, made my marks took it out, trimmed the new quarter it to fit then reinstalled for the third time.
20160826_121928.jpg

I used this piece of wood to align the quarter at the back. Then I installed my little clamps the hold the quarter and then I work the quarter towards the front to get my marks to cut new quarter.

20160826_121938.jpg
20160826_121948.jpg

Notice how long my quarter is...I had to trim off this amount to make for good fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom