Builds 1979 FJ40 Old School Overhaul (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I made my copper plate using 3/4 copper pipe. It definitely helps.

I think I need to clean the paint off my weld surface. Im using weld through primer, but I believe it interfering with my weld. :hillbilly:. I think with the thin wire .023, it is even more important the have a spotless weld surface.

Im still practicing, Im still learning ....

20160102_104402.jpg

Also ground off half the top of the pins so they would clear the windshield frame
20160102_104422.jpg
20160102_113405.jpg

I also changed out the ones on the ambulance doors.

Which required drill out the pin. I was ok with that because I wanted to install a bolt as the pin anyway. My goal was to be able to remove the amby doors without having to take off the hinge bracket from the body. That way when I do take the amby doors off I don't have to realign the doors.

When I disassembled the hinges I stamped them so that I knew left from right and top from bottom..:hillbilly::hillbilly:

I have been waiting for this thread for a while now.

:popcorn::beer:

HAHAHA Thanks Heisenberg!! I have slowly been making progress... I was reluctant to post for a while, but I have gotten my nerve up!! Im opening up a :worms:!!

I also changed out the bushing in my spare tire carrier.

The hardest part of that was driving out the pins... I did not have a BIGGER BFH so I took my carrier to Gene, our mechanic, and he put the ole "air hammer" on it!! That did the trick!!:bounce2:

Note: The "Air Hammer" is the only way to go. ;)

Trying to drive out the pins with a BFH was only gaulding the ends of them, making the process even more difficult. :crybaby:

I also added a grease zerk to the upper hinge.. hopefully it will help keep them new bushing nice and greazzy..:idea:

Bronze Bearing ---- McMaster Carr Item # 5448T19 Multipurpose Flanged Sleeve Bearing 16mm shaft dia, 20mmOD

EDIT:
Link to the BRONZ BUSHINGS ----https://www.mcmaster.com/#5448T19

16mm ID x 20mm OD x 16mm length by 2mm thick.

The pins in my carrier are 16mm dia and the hinge is 20mm dia.

I cleaned everything up good and used my vice to press everything back together.

The bushings only go into the tube part of the hinge, they will not fit in the part that mounts to the truck.

Last edited:
So here is my order of steel.
REAL STEEL
2 - full quarters panels
2 - inner fenders top and side
4 - fender braces
2 - side pieces for the back, 79' and up

CCOT
1 - Rear Sill

MUD MEMBER
1 - Bed Pan
2 - Rockers Inner and outer
2 - Front Floor Pans

20160225_120752 (1).jpg

Partial order of OEM rubber from our friend @beno .

Everything for around the doors, everything for around the glass, and everything around the top...

IT does not sound like much when it is listed like this, but let me tell you... there is a TON of rubber in these 40!!

@beno sent a couple of nice hats too!!;);)
20160329_110349 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom