Builds 1979 FJ40 Old School Overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got my Dexstar wheels in. They look great and for the price they look even more beautiful!

IMG-6908.jpg
IMG-6909.jpg

So here is my take so far.

The Dexstar rims are worth the effort! I bought 5 for $70 a piece.
Went to the machine shop they charged me $20 a piece to turn them.
I got $90 bucks in each wheel.

Note: I have not put on hub cap clips. I believe they will cost maybe $24 dollars per wheel to do and I will do all the installation.
So I figuring $114 per wheel total cost.

The wheels fit nicely... no interference, no grinding of brake calipers or anything...bolt right up!

Note: I have 4 wheel disc brakes.

My initial test drive was very impressive! Truck handled like a dream. Tire noise on The Yokohama MT was minimal compared to those Goodyear Wrangler MT.
Truck handled totally different and better than before! Handles bumps very nicely and steers like butter!!

Edit:
I was remiss in giving credit where credit was due. I got my information from @wngrog. He has numerous post about steelies.
And @G-Cat finding and posting in that thread.
I hope that link works.

Last edited:
Can you share specs on wheels you chose from Dexstar? Rim size, backspacing, etc? I have a very similar 40.

Can you share specs on wheels you chose from Dexstar? Rim size, backspacing, etc? I have a very similar 40.
Look at post #834, I have all the specs listed for both the tire and wheel.

The wheel is Dexstar Conventional Steel wheel 16 x 6, 6 on 5.5. The back spacing is 3in or zero... because it is centered in a 6 in wide wheel. The hub diameter is to small and will need to be turned out to 4.375 in. at least that was my measurement on my white wagon spokes. I noticed @wngrog measured 4 in.

Well needless to say after a relentless search I found my baby. An unmolested well slightly molested 1979 FJ40 with premium up grades:..... Safari Snorkel,
OldSchool.
Quick question.. On your Safari Snorkel.. Can you tell me the diameter of the flex air hose that goes from Carb? to Exterior Air Intake Pipe?? I have asked several eBay sellers (English is NOT their third or fourth language!!) and none know or they just don't reply!! I'm running a Caddy V-8 with a Four Barrel Carb.. I can get a four inch diameter "dome" that will fit (and seal) over the intake of the carb, but need (want) the flex pipe and Exterior Intake to be 4", as well. My plan is to make ALL the air intake connections water resistant as well as water-proofing the entire engine, etc. Charles '74 FJ40 purchased new Dec '73.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom