Builds 1978 FJ40 Mustard Yellow - almost perfect thread. (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you use the knuckle centering tool thing this time?

Hell no. I put the shims back in like I took them out. That is a ridiculous process to save .00002 on a seal that only has an axle turning in 4WD

It’s been a heck of a two week period here working on this Yellow 40. For those that keep up with this stuff, I’ve got 68 hours into it to this point.

Next up I’ll finish out the knuckles, brakes and steering and, other than cleaning the frame full of Oregon Mud and running fuel lines, I’ll be calling the bottom of this truck done.

Some more awesome parts arrived today as well. Looking forward to the process now that the stupid knuckle job is done.

I never left my shop today and got 12,000+ steps.

Whipoed. This job will be so much better on the new lift.

1C578218-0BC0-458A-AB9D-4F050D9348D8.jpeg

Good evening Nolen ,

today's job scopes progress looks sharp , !

Yea........ the whole knuckle's job simply su#ks from start to finish , i cheat a bit and take the Land Cruiser , to my Local self serve car wash bay , and a few cans of standard GUNK brand engine de-geaser , & a roll of Quarters , w/ at least 2 Cold ones stashed under the seat too ........:beer::beer:

i Hit it hard and fast w/ one can till empty , both sides , and then i Hit one :beer:
hard and fast , then wait at least 10 minutes , before loading the outdoor coin
box timer thing up , i then Blast all the fosilized oil / sand crap off till bare metal
or
the best possible thing close ...

final step is to repeat all steps above in order including cold one break , :D

this 2nd application is really more important then the first one , that the
end product result is a Doctors Office sanitary clean metal and felt seals surfaces , you then can dissemble with ZERO
Exxon Valdez issues , until
u get to the spindles off part ...

the system works and so does a cleaner shop floor and you when finished ...

now on to bigger better things :,

- your complete online parts store order was scanned at local post office earlier today , on it's way to Ya ..........:)

- i also included a small array of Professional Samples & my latest
VintageTeqParts Needed Solutions NLA / Disc. Reproduction Concept Vision kits.
Part # 90980-07003-R CABLE, BOND, NO. 1

- However this one is Unique in the fact the kit contents include also
a Host of Very Special NOS Unicorn parts as well , in the form of a 5pc
OEM Body and Chassis Ground strap kit . a voltage regulator condenser , and a fender mounted igniter condenser also , all of witch should be period correct for your year span range trucks you have going on .....................

- also , some of wide array of Period correct Body decals i offer too , and some
sample kits of the in-stock Bulk rate Yellow Zinc mounting Hardware i keep too ..

- note : where i do offer a indeed always am adding to my diverse line up of
Reproduction Land Cruiser vehical Decals , All the ones i sent samples of are
all NON or NON-USA ones i have sourced abroad etc.....

- also have included my Reproduction Fuel tank sending unit gauge access cover hole body plug , and the updated superseded version of the Drain Plug
hole grommet too , i also included the phased out reproduction one because you paid for that one ..................fyi

- any questions , hit me up via our PM , or as always feel free to use my shop hot-line .........

and , Thanks again for you support !

Kindly
matt ....

oh , BTW ....

i also tossed in some spare NOS semi-sealed beam KOITO kit OEM Bulbs
they have seen NO electricity and are new Take offs , per my :
KOITO KUSTOM LED bulbs equipped headlight kits i offer , glad to know
they will have a solid new home ! :D

DSCN2320.JPG
DSCN2321.JPG
DSCN2322.JPG
DSCN2323.JPG

DSCN2332.JPG

Last edited:

starter cable bond #3 - Copy.png

DSCN2328.JPG
DSCN2329.JPG
DSCN2331.JPG

Last edited:
Hotsy, put that on your list.

I will not do enough knuckle jobs to need that

I will not do enough jobs to need that

I will not do knuckle jobs

I will not need that

I will need that

Come on now.

@wngrog sent me the #Mustard78’s alternator for a trip through the Alternator Spa (<<< shameless plug). He says it was working, but needed a mani-pedi to match the level of work going on under the hood.

I use a local rebuilder to rebuild the guts and then intervene at the very last minute to keep them from painting the exterior in hideous colors typical of remanufacturers (lime green, red, black, 80’s fake gold, etc)

349E5244-CC89-4622-8267-FD264579D44F.jpeg

This was was reported to be working, but when tested, showed a “bad pattern”. When they took it apart, the diodes were falling out of the rectifier.

AEB346E1-CD83-4941-AC8E-0686B2A6E09F.jpeg

This is usually the death sentence for the older units, but they found a NOS rectifier that was a close enough fit to gunsmith into place (new metal plates behind the case)...

165039E2-104E-4AF8-A70F-AFDC1C53F610.jpeg

The standard spa treatment for working alternators includes new brushes & bearings. We don't use Chinese bearings either, in this case we used Canadians, eh.

0E818E89-A728-4200-B96F-057153EADBDB.jpeg

5D664F95-1114-459A-BA9D-F913B3B49224.jpeg

Last edited:
Once they are done with their work, I bring it back to the MM World Headquarters for the application of our proprietary blend of alternator nail polishes that we feel looks classy and period correct.

The end result is similar to the vehicles they will go in - mechanically rebuilt and refreshed, but retain the character not found in something new. The aluminum case will still wear any old battle scars and may have have faint signs of any deep stains or corrosion. As they say, “the art of perfection is imperfection”.

Here is the finished product:

46792B6A-1DDD-4659-A7B5-A2D2EFE74C5D.jpeg

We masked off the original data plate since it was more intact than not:

B95080E3-5802-4CCE-83C7-425952F5A086.jpeg

This should last @jmlockwood a few more decades. Enjoy!

:beer:

Last edited:
Once they are done with their work, I bring it back to the MM World Headquarters for the application of our proprietary blend of alternator nail polishes that we feel looks classy and period correct.

The end result is similar to the vehicles they will go in - mechanically rebuilt and refreshed, but retain the character not found in something new. The aluminum case will still wear any old battle scars and may have have faint signs of any deep stains or corrosion. As they say, “the art of perfection is imperfection”.

Here is the finished product:

View attachment 2185444

We masked off the original data plate since it was more intact than not:

View attachment 2185445

This should last @jmlockwood a few more decades. Enjoy!

:beer:
@FJ60Cam that is gorgeous! Thank you!

This is awesome, truly a community build

That’s the beauty of being an old guy in this community, I know who to call and they know I’ll pay them :)

Just when you think, ewwww, that took you 11-12 hours to just get to the spindles yesterday.......

Then you have more.

In this case it was removing the old Warren Hubs with their gas station replaced hub studs and redoing. 90* stainless lines with backing plate eliminators from @orangefj45
631CEAC9-ED34-4B62-A453-C21131E42C1E.jpeg

I robbed my 60 knuckles I have set aside for The Goat for the cone washers, washers and nuts. Beno is sending me all the parts I had to borrow.
23DF1764-404F-43AB-BAFB-57B1ECDA59E3.jpeg

Gold face Asin hubs from City Racer worked fine on the 78 birfs. I was a bit worried they would be the goofy long birfs like I have in my 77 FJ55

1D50C559-D432-4758-88DD-3B58C8916929.jpeg

Then the tie rod and drag links get built. Luckily these were straight and we just had to get rod ends from @cruiseroutfit

I had told the owner of Weenie 3 I was going to seal up the TCase on it today but the guys building my shop roof called and said they were coming today
8341F4C5-846E-4B1B-BF4D-09CB9D4619B1.jpeg

85C54F2F-ED99-467E-9AD1-D47EAEACBAB6.jpeg

Damn it feels great to finish a major project like this. Everything looks good. Everything that came off is in the trash. It was a hot mess in that axle. So glad to have this truck safe and sound and good for many years.
3731261D-C283-4CC7-8437-E2834BA29409.jpeg

OME stabilizer on. TREs adjusted. All is well with #mustard78
1B6D6062-A49E-4E65-A061-678935A7E69A.jpeg

The guys finished up the pole barn. @USMC22 is headed up tomorrow to lend a hand getting Weenie3 finished off.
46AE50E2-DF3A-4F49-BCAF-CCE3A2D8A6B2.jpeg

The parts table is getting less crowded but there is PLENTY left to do.

D70827CE-DE21-4E81-9FE5-3CBCFE2FCA3C.jpeg

Everything is really looking nice.

Last edited:
Everything is really looking nice.
I'm so glad it went to someone who had the desire, and the means to put Dijon (sorry... my daughters nickname ) where it needed to be without messing with that sweet patina.

When this is all done, I will let Wes know the fate of his beloved 40 and all the effort that has gone into it, while leaving his memories intact on the skin of the 40. He once told me...

"That's where my dad sat and rode with the 30/30. Bagged himself over 20 bucks over the years. He always hogged that top spot" (ass on the front edge of the roof, feet planted on the hood) . I'm certain he will be absolutely over the moon!

Oh and btw, all that grease / Oregon mud build up really helped preserve it... :hillbilly: I should be thanked for my great wisdom... :rofl:

The local Valvoline quick lube guys next to Wes’ house never read the 40 FAQ on Mud I would suspect.

Back on project Mustard 78 today.
I started off wanting something easy so I dropped the old 90wt out of the front axle and added Hex Plugs.
Moved to the rear axle and the Valvoline guys in Oregon got me again. The rear fill plug was completely round.
Good excuse to bust out the new welder.

Easier said than done. Forgot to set the regulator so I buggered it up first try then made a practice bolt. I had to put the ground on the vice grips I was holding the bolt with so I was all over the place but got it.

5 minute to 50 minute job. Thanks Quick Lube guy.
6125C78B-76AF-46FD-B975-A01104D8CDB0.jpeg

B7103F80-5309-4B77-89E9-32BE8494CAFB.jpeg

ACF8F517-573D-4053-BDC5-0662BCAB3FDC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom