Builds 1977 FJ55 west TN build: family wagon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, after doing back brakes and ujoints. The boys and I jump in and hit the road. After about a quarter mile at 40 mph, bang, bang, Bang, BANG. Guess it’s the ujoints settling??? Nothing since then.

ThAts odd. Did you pull the rear axles out? Maybe drain some diff fluid to see if you have metal in there. I’m thinking maybe one of the shims from the spider gears fell out and got ground up?

I didn’t pull the axles. It’s weird that it was 4 consecutive bangs (with slight back and forth hesitations each time).

So, after doing back brakes and ujoints. The boys and I jump in and hit the road. After about a quarter mile at 40 mph, bang, bang, Bang, BANG. Guess it’s the ujoints settling??? Nothing since then.

Might want to check those drums again! Did you get them adjusted nicely?

Last edited:
Yes, the back brakes are adjusted well. I was hung up on it being a u-joint issue and didn't mention that the truck has an aussie locker in the rear. I guess it was the locker??? It makes a bunch of noise and binds a lot sometime, especially in parking lots.

Bob's rockers ready to go, cutting out rusty spots, and pulling up fiberglass to discover metal floor in excellent condition!

View attachment 2122480

Ah, that was you with the fiberglass floor in the cargo area!
I really liked the picture of the rear wheel lip - I had never seen that before - thanks!

Yes, the back brakes are adjusted well. I was hung up on it being a u-joint issue and didn't mention that the truck has an aussie locker in the rear. I guess it was the locker??? It makes a bunch of noise and binds a lot sometime, especially in parking lots.
Totally that silly Aussie locker 100%

Ha ha! This is too funny, I put an Aussie in the back of my 40. One time I was out on slick roads and hit the brakes quickly and got some loud bangs.
I think with an auto-locker you have to be pretty close on the rear drum adjustments. The locker will not let one wheel spin slower than the other when under power. Make sense?
On that note, when making tight turns in the parking lot, the best bet is to coast into the turn w/ the tranny in neutral. Then you just get that pleasant ratcheting sound, no binding.

Oh yeah. I've gotten very good at freewheeling it in parking lots. It's kinda fun to see if I can park without hitting the brakes!

It's really cool to see your kids involved in the process. Every time I'm in the garage I think of my dad for letting me wrench and teaching me the rules of the garage (safety, organization etc).

My boy is great, but he has 0 interest in wrenching. A few years back I rebuilt the engine in my little Civic. It would have been the perfect project for us to go through an engine together. I got things set up and went and got him to show him what I was thinking about doing. I thought I would give it the casual approach with him. He took a look, said "Cool!" and vanished!
Oh well...

My boy is great, but he has 0 interest in wrenching. A few years back I rebuilt the engine in my little Civic. It would have been the perfect project for us to go through an engine together. I got things set up and went and got him to show him what I was thinking about doing. I thought I would give it the casual approach with him. He took a look, said "Cool!" and vanished!
Oh well...
I can so relate to this...my daughter is showing a bit more interest so not without hope.

New floor pan (via @bobm) went in today on the driver's side. The rear driver's side floor board pan is next on the list. Also, the passenger's side front and back pans are in great shape and don't need replacing.

IMG_3864.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg

Also, my son and I took all the doors apart this weekend. All the window hardware is in excellent shape. The only issue is the felt runner that the windows slide along. A few are all twisted and make the windows difficult to roll up and down. I haven't started researching what others have done for replacing, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom