Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@middlecalf Did you see this:

.20 pistons

Do you not bale your hay? Do you have any issues with pink eye from the grass being that tall?

And a couple seat pics for reference.

4E6AFF30-91D4-4620-91A9-D50518A358CD.jpeg

A7E5F8F2-1192-4117-B411-D28C4ECAE935.jpeg

Last edited:
@Unimogguy thanks for the pics! Your seat looks a bit more vertical than mine as is, about the same with the plugs in mine. So that helps explain fitting in the cramped 45SWB FT.

We raise grass and alfalfa hay down in the “valley” but up here in the dry “high” ground we farm our hay with cows 😂! There is some haying done up here by others, we just let the cows work it for us. Occasionally we get pink eye, but not much. Lots of flies, so I’m about to start shooting the cows with a paintball gun that has fly repellent in the balls. Fun times, the cows hate me but it works amazingly well.

I saw your notice on that motor, I’m not sure what I’m going to do with my motor wrt rebuild if anything. I guess you have to tear down the motor to know if you need to go oversize on pistons, or maybe just plan on it. But then you have to find comparable rings, right? Do O/S pistons need O/S rings? I have a set of std rings coming, don’t know if I can use them with the pistons I have or not. I don’t see any O/S markings on them from the stealth cam, so I’m guessing they’re standard size. I’m not terribly concerned with their beat up tops, I guess if I go full Monty while in there I should put new pistons in. I wonder if I can find some NOS std pistons?

Last edited:
Here are some other pistons.

The owner pm’d me that they are for a ‘69-‘73 F.

But, with your compression numbers, why a teardown and rebuild? I’d run it and put a little oil in occasionally. Oil’s cheap and easy relative to a rebuild and being without your truck!

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yeah, that’s the way I’ve been leaning, running it and adding oil as needed (a lot 😂!). Then I see something about a rebuild and get all twitterpated about rebuilding it. And then I discover I know virtually nothing about rebuilding motors.

@Unimogguy

We raise grass and alfalfa hay down in the “valley” but up here in the dry “high” ground we farm our hay with cows 😂! There is some haying done up here by others, we just let the cows work it for us. Occasionally we get pink eye, but not much. Lots of flies, so I’m about to start shooting the cows with a paintball gun that has fly repellent in the balls. Fun times, the cows hate me but it works amazingly well.
Hay 4 sale .... need fuel !!!!
5fredf45#.jpg

Lawn mowers have been busy
IMG_3943.JPG

Two things:
1) oil consumption is very high. I’m trying to tolerate it. Except for that this thing is the cats (cows) meow (moo) for hauling crap (fence schmatta, salt, feed) into the backcountry.
2) the skid plate both protects the underside from sage, grass, weeds and rocks but also retains a lot of sage, grass, weeds and rocks (pebbles). Not good next to the exhaust pipe. I have to blow it out after every excursion.

Running F engines are fairly easily found. Have you considered buying a running F, swapping and then rebuilding yours if you wish to retain originality? I’ve seen several running Fs for less than $500 and know of one in Indiana that a guy just wants it gone. I’ve shipped large items via yrc and it’s reasonable.

Or pull a trailer behind your 40. I've got an old 'off-road' trailer that I'm not using. It's parked at a friend's place south of town. It will go anywhere your 40 will go. 3500 pound axle on 33's.

Dan

I’ve used one of our trailers a few times with the 40. But there are areas that a trailer would be a challenge.

Last edited:
Desert jungle bunglin’
217E0627-EEC2-4534-85D7-4BA59E2624E8.jpeg

This rig should probably have Denso horns and relay but now it’s all Maruko.

relay
IMG_3980.JPG

Super Giga 😂
IMG_3968.JPG

Last edited:
Feeling patriotic today
B941CD93-028D-48CA-BB31-A23A80AD5476.jpeg

There’s solid reason I have these stickers on a prominent cabinet in my shop. And there would be others if I had stickers for them. All the same solid reasons. FWIW (a ton to me).
IMG_3986.JPG

Peekaboo. Still smokin’ along.

IMG_4029.JPG

Off-season training 😂
IMG_4028.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom