Builds 1963 FJ45LP SWB Fixed Top "Sweet Simplicity" (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's another pic. '65 FJ40 is green. White is what was in my '62 FJ40. A PO did some welding on things. Not sure what is original.
20220223_100027.jpg

@HelloKitty65 that’s perfect! Thanks for the pics. I think there should be a seat sticky in the FAQ section - there’s an “aftermarket” one but that’s for folks to post seat alternatives, not OEM. I guess most folks move away from the original seats when they can for a better ride. But for us seeking originality, starting from nothing, it’s a bit of a challenge.

I‘m now trying to figure out how D’Animal and FJ40Jim (CHUOX17A) are able to have their seat bases positioned as they do (scooched back) compared to mine (all the way forward) and fit in their 45SWB fixed toppers. I used SOR‘s FJ25 seat kit for mine, and the seat base fit exactly my seat frame which is the same as your green one in the pic above but with the springs removed. So I‘m under the assumption that the seat bottoms are the same size through the years (?).

At your convenience @HelloKitty65 can you provide this measuremen? Thanks!
46B637FF-4FE0-40EE-93D7-E4403C1D37A4.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine’s right at that, so seat bottoms are the same size. To gain more bottom seat position I can use something like this where the back rail and bottom rail contact which will make the back a bit more vertical and get me about 3” more aft seat position while still clearing the rear cab wall:
Amazon product ASIN B07G8M3B5V. 🤷‍♂️

👍 @kunzma. That was another good data point. That’s a later ‘63, and it has the seats with bolted on hinges, versus welded, which is what I’ve adapted in my early ‘63. (seatbacks are also full height, not partial like the 25s)

Wrap up of this highly technical seat tech. Got the Chinamazon rubber bumpers, tight fit in the hole but brings the seatback up to allow the seat bottom to be aligned with the passenger seat. And there’s a smidge more room to gain before hitting the cab wall.:bounce2:
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3844.JPG
IMG_3845.JPG
IMG_3846.JPG

Over.

First salt run to bovine in this rig. Didn’t crash or die :bounce:. Averaged 3mph in 4Lo. Can‘t believe the grass this year, bumper deep.
2B1A1EC2-ADEB-4183-9A63-7BE81DC20C31.jpeg
B51CA725-6E21-46C5-8AB6-A43960940B4B.jpeg

Driving by feel 😂

Hey Paul, I’m late to the party as usual. Here are a few pics of my 63 I had. I have about 40 pictures if any may be of use down the road…

Regards
Mark
00915D8D-153C-44AF-9196-DE719B6FB01E.jpeg
EE93FCB5-46E4-47CA-B16B-37E91D70344F.jpeg
ADE29A9C-DB26-49C2-8967-B8BF0E94B51B.jpeg

Wow Mark! A later ‘63 with the removeable windshield (sort of) and the full back seats with bolted on hinges (vs, welded). And rear slider window intact! Love the whitewalls 😎! What happened to it, where’s it at now?

Beat the cr@p out of the rig today, moved some more cows, etc. Shuttling salt and fly dust bags got me stuck in the bottom of a creek (no pics), couldn’t power up the far bank without the rears spinning. Was able to back up and “gun” it up the bank, front went airborne along with the 50lb salt blocks. Nothing broke 😂. A lot of you would be appalled to see the state of my 60yr old springs, but they held up. Anyway, got across and cows are happy.
IMG_3856.JPG

Country patina? No, that’s not mud 😂
IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3854.JPG

Paul you need to put lockers on your 45. Them cowpies can get real slippery! ;)

@HelloKitty65 that’s perfect! Thanks for the pics. I think there should be a seat sticky in the FAQ section - there’s an “aftermarket” one but that’s for folks to post seat alternatives, not OEM. I guess most folks move away from the original seats when they can for a better ride. But for us seeking originality, starting from nothing, it’s a bit of a challenge.

I‘m now trying to figure out how D’Animal and FJ40Jim (CHUOX17A) are able to have their seat bases positioned as they do (scooched back) compared to mine (all the way forward) and fit in their 45SWB fixed toppers. I used SOR‘s FJ25 seat kit for mine, and the seat base fit exactly my seat frame which is the same as your green one in the pic above but with the springs removed. So I‘m under the assumption that the seat bottoms are the same size through the years (?).

At your convenience @HelloKitty65 can you provide this measuremen? Thanks!
View attachment 3033994
Sorry for the late response, between work, kids and life in general I have been out. Any spare time I have I used it to sleep, rest and recharge. 😂. I will be doing some garage cleaning this weekend. I can share some pictures. I got new seat covers for Christmas and they are still wrapped in a box. I need 36 hour day to be able to work on the cruiser

Caution: chat

More chat

Back to reading about pistons and rings in F-Engine Repair Manual 💤

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom