Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You do know that if you took those to a company that does Waterjet can mastercam and make some. Only thing is what material do you believe they are. Threads will require another step.

Keeps getting better! Front cover is welded on! These guys loved their welder. Why use a seal when you can just weld it on??? Will have to cut it off. Judging by the gasket it looks like the cover is the same as a 40 series at least... but seeming less likely that finding a part here and there is going to be enough, I think I need to get a complete front and rear end. I have a couple leads, just have to get them here.

here’s our messed up pieces. I think the broken off pieces from those adjuster nuts are what caused all of this.

7B774B47-0CD1-4020-BE69-A9B715382379.jpeg

F95E95B6-347D-4865-B3C0-6376641A180C.jpeg

A3427161-631F-4D1D-8EB9-7FDD4BD5147D.jpeg

1F092ACF-6980-4DBA-A946-6BC7710E0CC2.jpeg

How did they get oil in it with fill plug also welded in? 🤔
I'm sure they didn't!

I picture the former owners just sleeping with their welder, snuggled up nice and close!

@whitey45 is my savior, he has a front and a rear end I'm going to get shipped down here. Thank God for mudders!

In the meantime I think we will shift gears to the transmission and engine. I haven't had any luck sourcing an early engine so I'm going to just go with the F135 that came with it, maybe find a way to restamp it (and be transparent about it of course) rather than wasting a bunch of time worrying about finding a year-correct block. I believe I've got enough transmission pieces to make a complete one now, bought the GKT-134 seal kit others had recommended. Of course I'll post progress on here as we get into those.

Last edited:
Looks like you found your answer for the diff, I knew there were several kicking around. That welded cover is a mystery, my guess is it's actually a later housing, otherwise they did a nice job making the holes disappear. Below is a pic of a '59 differential, the adjuster nut and carrier bearing is the same as the 40, would most likely work on yours. Unfortunately the pinion is the only thing that would completely put you out of business, and that's toast.
121605 (17).JPG

Looks like you found your answer for the diff, I knew there were several kicking around. That welded cover is a mystery, my guess is it's actually a later housing, otherwise they did a nice job making the holes disappear. Below is a pic of a '59 differential, the adjuster nut and carrier bearing is the same as the 40, would most likely work on yours. Unfortunately the pinion is the only thing that would completely put you out of business, and that's toast.
View attachment 2344364
might be right on the welded cover, that would make sense if its not original to the truck. My first reaction was "well thats a better weld than they typically did on this truck", which made me scratch my head a bit and consider that it could have been original. But from the photos of other 25's I've seen nothing but bolted-on covers so this one's gotta go.

Thanks for the picture, that adjuster nut is definitely a beefier version than what was on this truck and certainly a better design. I'm wondering if the south american trucks got a different part? 25 book says PN 41312, and the pieces that came off of Lara are 41315 which from what I've been able to find hasn't been a PN that existed on any other 25's and doesn't show up in any of the books. At any rate, hopefully the replacement front/rear ends prove to be clean inside, fingers crossed.

might be right on the welded cover, that would make sense if its not original to the truck. My first reaction was "well thats a better weld than they typically did on this truck", which made me scratch my head a bit and consider that it could have been original. But from the photos of other 25's I've seen nothing but bolted-on covers so this one's gotta go.

Thanks for the picture, that adjuster nut is definitely a beefier version than what was on this truck and certainly a better design. I'm wondering if the south american trucks got a different part? 25 book says PN 41312, and the pieces that came off of Lara are 41315 which from what I've been able to find hasn't been a PN that existed on any other 25's and doesn't show up in any of the books. At any rate, hopefully the replacement front/rear ends prove to be clean inside, fingers crossed.
My May of 1959 book list part number as 41312 like yours. It also has optional part number as 41313

4C8AEBC0-5365-406D-B05C-8FD5CAD6BA12.jpeg

We have a 1960 FJ28 soft top with a welded cover. It looks really old and matches the condition of the rest of the chassis. The other 2x variants we have, except for the plantation pickup (which is a restoration and may not have the original front axle) have inspection covers that are bolted on. This truck appears to still have the large 2x front brake drums so if the axle was swapped, they kept the old brakes. If it was replaced at some point it was a very, very long time ago.
20200619_123957.jpg

We have a 1960 FJ28 soft top with a welded cover. It looks really old and matches the condition of the rest of the chassis. The other 2x variants we have, except for the plantation pickup (which is a restoration and may not have the original front axle) have inspection covers that are bolted on. This truck appears to still have the large 2x front brake drums so if the axle was swapped, they kept the old brakes. If it was replaced at some point it was a very, very long time ago. View attachment 2345049
Thanks for taking a look! So it sounds like your fj28 4 door has a bolted on front diff cover too?

Prior to this one my earliest cruiser is my 66 FJ45LV, which has a welded on front diff cover. Maybe something changed in the 1960 year, or something different depending on the market (SA or NA)? Or maybe it was a swapped over from a different cruiser. I guess the point is moot, since I’ve got to source some new parts anyway since these ones are in rough shape. But would be interesting to confirm the history on these things.

The front diff covers were welded on from the factory. The same is true for all solid axle Landcruisers since there’s no need to ever remove it. Keep in mind that the diffs (and therefore pinion gears) are longer on the 20 series. A 40 series diff will likely bolt up to the housing, but it’ll require customized (lengthened) driveshafts to bolt up.

The front diff covers were welded on from the factory. The same is true for all solid axle Landcruisers since there’s no need to ever remove it. Keep in mind that the diffs (and therefore pinion gears) are longer on the 20 series. A 40 series diff will likely bolt up to the housing, but it’ll require customized (lengthened) driveshafts to bolt up.
That's VERY good to know as a backup plan, I was wondering this when I first got inside of it. It's obviously much easier to find a 40 series diff and I know where to get the driveshafts lengthened locally. Hopefully the other axles i've got coming will be in good shape and that won't be necessary, but helps me rest easier knowing that's a possibility if needed.

The strange thing is I seen a few FJ 25's and all had bolt on front differential covers. Including my 1960 FJ 25. Sounds like FJ 28's were a little different? John

The strange thing is I seen a few FJ 25's and all had bolt on front differential covers. Including my 1960 FJ 25. Sounds like FJ 28's were a little different? John
Some guy's around here, North California, Rubicon Trail, actually ground off the welds and put on bolt on covers on the front. Made it easier to see which axle broke without taking the wrong side apart.

Son of a B. My 1959 and 1960 FJ25’s are both bolted on. I never noticed that before.

Something new everyday, welded covers on the FJ28 but not the 25 . :doh: It's hard to believe that they would have bothered to do the bolted the cover at all, not like there was a lot of need to get in there.

And yes the 40 diff is a bolt in with a driveshaft mod. At some point it's just plain worth it to swap the entire axle, but you can still use the 25 brakes if you want to spice things up.

Remember mine was swapped with an early 64 or so fj40 front axle. When I swapped the front pumpkin from @Cruiser_Nerd I found that the axle housing later model had larger diff studs in diameter. I had to slightly drill out the 25 long pumpkin to fit. Looks 25 but its a hybrid. Check your studs to see if you have a transplant?
Mike

I know its been quiet here, summer of COVID and all. I decided to pack up our camper van and take the kids around the western USA camping rather than sticking around the 115 degree heat. My job provides the flexibility and I decided I should take this as an opportunity and go make some memories with them. We went up through Flagstaff, Durango over Bolam Pass to Telluride. Then Cottonwood, Pikes Peak area, on up to Dinosaur National Park and then through Sun Valley Idaho, and off to visit friends on Whidbey Island WA for a little while that have kids the same age that were equally stir crazy. After that down through oregon to Tahoe for a bit and on our way home probably next week. Although I'm not sure why, but camping has been a little difficult. EVERYONE and their mother is camping so all campgrounds are full and reservation only, so we have been boon docking which frankly I prefer but it takes a lot more planning. Wife has joined us where she can here and there but 75% of the trip has been just me and the kids. Daddy is worn out, but I know we're doing the right thing. So... before the 28L updates here are a few trip photos, our camper rig is a E350 super duty (diesel) that Sportsmobile converted to 4x4 with an Atlas II transfer case, and I have done some interior mods to it myself while also having Colorado Camper Van cut a big hole in the roof and put a "pop up top" with a queen bed and kids bed on top. Little guy sleeps down below, he's too little to be jealous of big sis yet :) Hope everyone is making the most of their summers! Good time to be enjoying the outdoors.

IMG_0474.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0808.jpeg

IMG_0826.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom