Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

biggest question I have right now is the transmission - is this one original? The hump I don't believe is and I'm missing the e-brake. License plate bracket does look original I think but not the light

IMG_7486.jpeg

IMG_7485.jpeg

IMG_7483.jpeg

Nice, I'm jealous! Yes horns are FJ20 series and in the correct place. Air filter is a dry type, takes a paper filter. I have a oil one if you want to trade. :) Looks like correct tranny, missing E brake parts, E brake is located just like a FJ40 on the output of transfer to rear Axel.

Is there a oil filter on it?

Last edited:
Nice, I'm jealous! Yes horns are FJ20 series and in the correct place. Air filter is a dry type, takes a paper filter. I have a oil one if you want to trade. :)

Is there a oil filter on it?
Good question! Now that you mention it I don’t think I saw one. I dropped it off in a bit of a rush to go pick up my kids from preschool but should have more time to go through it tomorrow. Should the air cleaner have an intake over the driver side fender like my 40s/45 have had?

Not sure about 40/45s having a intake over the fender?? This wagon probably had a oil type air cleaner or dry type like the one thats in there. FJ25s with the oil type air cleaner had a intake on the drivers side apron, and I think maybe that stretched into early FJ40s as well.

Subscribed!

This was the only pic we had of the four door version for years!

fj28lv---1.jpg

And a few others that I didn't see posted yet. I have more I am sure.

FJ28.jpeg
feat2.JPEG

Last edited:
master cylinder is a chevy. booster could be early cruiser. you should not have boosted brakes and clutch and brake should be the cast cylinder stye, but if you can find those, i dont think anyone would fault you for using the tin master style. as mentioned, you should have a generator instead of an alternator. the wiring stands out hideously....maybe one of coolermans harnesses could be adapted, but if not, at least strip off that plastic loom and use wrap with the cloth or electrical tape. overall, looks like it's going to be an awesome project. fwiw, i love the maroon/cream paint in the brochure pics

I want that T10

. FJ25s with the oil type air cleaner had a intake on the drivers side apron, and I think maybe that stretched into early FJ40s as well.
annie has an oil bath but no fender intake. one elephant horn was mounted on the fender where the intake would be

Does Barrett-Jackson allow people to crawl over/under/ in these vehicles before auction. It seems to me any vehicle inspection would reveal things that may change price ?

The engine is from 2/70’ approx

And ... the oil filter is missing :meh:

Great pics!

Sor still has a T-10 stuffed away ... when u complete this ... you will need to make an offer on it !!

Would look great with your 28

If your planning on going back to a single line brake master ... there was an optional external brake servo ... one of the other 28’s have one as well... seen them in a few other early cruisers

They still make close to stock looking ones for other vehicles ... we used them on some British leyland stuff ... they are not vehicle specific

I got to go to the LCH Museum a couple weeks ago, but having not yet seen Lara it was hard to know what to look for. I snapped a few pictures but I certainly need to look for more. It does appear those tail lights are original huh? I didn’t see that until now, thanks!

Plan for now is to start in a couple of weeks taking it apart then getting started on the engine rebuild and taking the body down to bare metal. We will remake the wiring harness, which should be reasonably basic in these - few switches as there are. Actually i need to get an FJ25 wiring diagram. In the meantime hoping to get a complete list of parts i need so this thread is incredibly helpful thank you everyone for chiming in. It’ll be fun, but i can’t lie it’s really overwhelming at the moment. I’m prepared for at least a year on this, probably more.

Fortunately the mechanical is for the most part things I can somehow source, even if it will sometimes be quite difficult. But i am planning on taking it back to what it should be.

I’m not sure about the brakes though, that’s one place where I’m ok going with an upgrade. I’ll just have to figure out how to go about it. Any suggestions on an acceptable Toyota upgrade on the brakes? My LV has a booster from a geo metro ;) I don’t think I’ll go that route.

The Gifu / body part is where it gets difficult since none of the interior or body parts will be available. I need to figure out all the door and window mechanisms. Wipers. Seats. I’m wondering if an FJ55 rear bench could be made to work? This seems narrower though. I wish I had an FJ25 for parts, but then I would kind of hate to take that one apart.

my sister is a graphic designer so I sent her some color options and pictures. I’m hoping she can model them onto the pictures to give us all a visual.

Yes you can get under but not inside vehicles at Barrett... and I peeked inside the engine bay too. But none of this would have dissuaded it’s not like I could say “no I’ll just wait for one that’s more complete”. I felt really lucky to have the opportunity. The one thing that would bum me out is the transmission if it’s not original, I’m going to try to get a better look at that tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I promise to do my best keeping everyone updated on the progress.

The engine is from 2/70’ approx

If your planning on going back to a single line brake master ... there was an optional external brake servo ... one of the other 28’s have one as well... seen them in a few other early cruisers

They still make close to stock looking ones for other vehicles ... we used them on some British leyland stuff ... they are not vehicle specific

I was tempted to think about upgrading the engine to a 2F since it isn't original - but I think I'll probably stick with it unless I come across an FJ25 and can get an earlier engine in there.

I might need to bend your ear about this external brake servo, i'll shoot you a PM.

Yes you can get under but not inside vehicles at Barrett... and I peeked inside the engine bay too. But none of this would have dissuaded it’s not like I could say “no I’ll just wait for one that’s more complete”. I felt really lucky to have the opportunity. The one thing that would bum me out is the transmission if it’s not original, I’m going to try to get a better look at that tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I suppose the more you become connected to a purist position on a vehicle, the more you want to know before throwing big dollars against things that were thought , but actually changed.
In your situation with this rarity, I certainly think you did the right thing. After all the years things happen. I myself would be lost on whether to let it live as is, or restore. The guy from Venezuela was correct, it is fine as at is , or , as restored. You cannot lose.

as deep as it may get .... and annoying the problems that may arise... it will still be a very rare cruiser... no mater what you do to it :)

at one time a buddy had one of only 4 or 5 troopies in the usa 28 years ago... now there are too many to count, your 28 however will always be that rare oddity that many of us can only dream of owning

If you are concerned with future value I would urge you to either leave it alone or do a full-blown correct restoration. The downside to the latter is it would be penultimately difficult to make it correct. Anything less than that would be a waste of well into 6 figures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom