What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (36 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I drove my Fj40 for the first time since late December early January. albeit only 10 feet but It moved under its own power after an engine swap back to a 2f from a SBC. I still need to button up a few things but I am excited to say the end of the swap project is near.
Amazing! I so applaud your efforts.

I wonder if a patch is really needed or wise on the pan? If it’s not rusted all the way through , I’d try wire wheeling it clean(ish) and use Ospho or something to neutralize the rust and hit it with a filler primer or a skim coat of JB weld. Since you’ll have to weld the plate back you’ll need a coat of weld through primer around the spot welds. Forgive me if you know all this, I’m just thinking out loud.

The spot weld bits are great, the ones from harbor freight get dull really fast though, unsurprisingly.

Unfortunately there are multiple pin holes through the pan that almost don't show through to the inside. All the rust happened on the outside between the pan and skid plate. The skid is actually just lightly pitted but it is a good bit thicker than the stamped pan. You are right that a patch may not be wise as there could be some warpage. I'm going to cut in a patch and take it to someone with real skills to have welded. I'll use weld-thru primer and, like I did with the replacement I'm running, and gobsnot the bejeezeus out of it. Post #35,300 below.

New pans for the later engines are available and will work on many earlier blocks but I kind of dig the earlier skid plates that bend up in front. I guess I could just weld something on to a new one but where's the fun in that?

Built my exhaust at lunch today. Prius quiet.

Now to get these rear brakes lined out. And it’s ready to drive more than around the block

9FF7EAC8-2C75-4A77-A0FB-25CBD12DCAC6.jpeg

Made an alignment jig, I was 1/16 toe’d out after the axle swap. Definitely explains why I had to hold the wheel on our fine NY roads. Turned the relay Rod about just past a quarter turn. Now I can hold the wheel with two fingers on most roads. There are still a few roads that require two hands to keep it steady.

View attachment 3601246
I just replaced a sloppy worn out tie rod end. Now I have to do what you did above.

Not big news but a pretty exciting step forward for me: placed a lot of glass. Attempted to put the windshield in as well but found out the gasket/ weatherstrip I had purchased (Toyota part 56121-90301) did not jive: the side and hatch glass have an 1/6-1/8" overlap on the window frame/ pinch weld, the windshield glass however, has about a 1/4" gap around the frame. All my gaskets, sides, windshield etc have the same profile - made to have a glass overlap on the frame. So now, I either need to find a new gasket or have another windshield cut.

2 IMG_9023 2.jpg

1 Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 8.17.31 AM.jpg

Been back on the road about a year and half now and finally found some time to install a radio so I get to cruise again with tunes, still have to pinch myself now and then I get to ride in this thing again. Back then Green Day’s Dookie got tons of play time in the tape deck, Whitey Morgan is the jam these days. I remember driving back from Tahoe and tons of dead came on the air and my buddy Doolittle woke up in the back seat and said did Jerry Die? We were bummed.

It’s a cheap blue tooth deal from Amazon, pioneer 5” in the doors (with spacers) and a marine antenna. Sounds good.

Also replaced the radiator (napa) it finally sprung a leak after 45 years.
8289E270-A560-4CC0-A23F-D1839EA3F0B7.jpeg
B4FE800B-AC5B-4529-B995-4E7841066621.jpeg
9F8D122E-4318-48CC-A0E3-3C428D07DC09.jpeg

"Not big news but a pretty exciting step forward for me: placed a lot of glass. Attempted to put the windshield in as well but found out the gasket/ weatherstrip I had purchased (Toyota part 56121-90301) did not jive: the side and hatch glass have an 1/6-1/8" overlap on the window frame/ pinch weld, the windshield glass however, has about a 1/4" gap around the frame. All my gaskets, sides, windshield etc have the same profile - made to have a glass overlap on the frame. So now, I either need to find a new gasket or have another windshield cut."

Man, I remember that drill! I ended up all aftermarket gaskets and custom cut windshield.

Been back on the road about a year and half now and finally found some time to install a radio so I get to cruise again with tunes, still have to pinch myself now and then I get to ride in this thing again. Back then Green Day’s Dookie got tons of play time in the tape deck, Whitey Morgan is the jam these days. I remember driving back from Tahoe and tons of dead came on the air and my buddy Doolittle woke up in the back seat and said did Jerry Die? We were bummed.

It’s a cheap blue tooth deal from Amazon, pioneer 5” in the doors (with spacers) and a marine antenna. Sounds good.

Also replaced the radiator (napa) it finally sprung a leak after 45 years.
View attachment 3605141View attachment 3605142View attachment 3605143
I wouldn't want to scare you, but that radio lasted for about two weeks on my car. For less than 20 bucks it was worth the try, but it didntl ast sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom