FJ40 Mark/Downey Header (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_3394.jpeg

is this muffler designed to be loud or subtle?

I have a flow master 40 series that I thought at one time, years ago, was cool and loud but as I’ve gotten older I’m more interested in something quieter. Just curious what to expect with this system…

The system appears to come with the Magnaflow. I currently have that unit on my FJ40 w/2F, BTB headers and it sounds very gentlemanly. At idle and and lower RPM you can barely hear it, when I get on it, it will grumble. I share the same feeling on sound. When I was younger I wanted to heard, now I'm just glad to be seen.

image1.jpeg

is this muffler designed to be loud or subtle?

I have a flow master 40 series that I thought at one time, years ago, was cool and loud but as I’ve gotten older I’m more interested in something quieter. Just curious what to expect with this system…
I think @Dianna is going to be in the best position to answer that question. I know in this post she said it "sounds amazing" and mentioned possibly recording the sound:

Don’t want to take away from this thread so I’ll delete or more move as desired, just let me know.

I’m having a 6” día. 22” long flow through muffler made with a hemholtz resonator attached with 90 degree madrel bend to accommodate attachment to a pipe I’ll get made locally between the header and muffler and they will also fab the tail pipe locally as well. I have a similar setup on my Tundra but this one is designed to be stock sounding while cruising and just a nice slight low rumble when you get on it. The hemholtz should take care of any drone as well.

The muffler will mount in the stock location (behind the rear axle). With tail pipe exiting on passenger side. Will look almost OEM. The setup is all 2.5” inlet and outlet, stainless and painted black in flat high temp.

This muffler would be available for others once mine is made and fitment is confirmed, company based in Escondido, CA. It won’t be cheap, but will last for a very long time and appear OEM other than color (which could easily be changed to high heat silver or polished if one desired). It could also easily be changed to 2-1/4” for use in a stock system for an OEM look replacement. The muffler by itself made to custom sizes is only $289.00 and the hemholtz is about the same, the madrel bends and custom fab work and being a one off it’s what blows up the cost for now.

I still need the header though. I will also likely install a race CAT and fab a heat shield for that or put it where the stock heat shield is after the skid plate, haven’t decided on that yet.

I’m hoping I can run my piping from the header to muffler under the skid plate. I don’t like the idea of having that piping run by the trans, transfer case and electronic speedo sensor for the Dakota gauges with no heat shield and having to modify the skid plate. I might also fab a skid plate for the section that sits below the frame so I don’t have to worry about bashing it on trails.

If there is any interest in something like this let me know separately and I can put you into contact with the maker, I don’t want to take anything away from this setup and header combo which is awesome just going a different route after the header on mine.

It's single digits in NE Ohio right now with wind chills well below zero, and I still owe you all a picture of how close an unmodified skid plate fits along with the video so you can hear how awesome it sounds. As you all know, sometimes life gets in the way (Dad was in hospital for a month but is home now!). Until I can get out to where it is in storage for the winter, I can best describe it as mellow with a slight grumble but has an awesome growl when you accelerate. I stopped at a friends house not long after I got my 40 back from the header shop and she has a 20-something year old son who yelled "show off!" when I revved her up as I was pulling out of the driveway. My neighbor, who is a "car guy" walked over to my house after I arrived home and wanted to know what exhaust was on it because he "loved the way it sounded when I drove by." The sound is a bonus, this muffler was designed to work with the header and the rest of the exhaust system by people that are very well known in the business. I really need to move some place warmer, writing this is making me miss driving my 40!

Don’t want to take away from this thread so I’ll delete or more move as desired, just let me know.

I’m having a 6” día. 22” long flow through muffler made with a hemholtz resonator attached with 90 degree madrel bend to accommodate attachment to a pipe I’ll get made locally between the header and muffler and they will also fab the tail pipe locally as well. I have a similar setup on my Tundra but this one is designed to be stock sounding while cruising and just a nice slight low rumble when you get on it. The hemholtz should take care of any drone as well.

The muffler will mount in the stock location (behind the rear axle). With tail pipe exiting on passenger side. Will look almost OEM. The setup is all 2.5” inlet and outlet, stainless and painted black in flat high temp.

This muffler would be available for others once mine is made and fitment is confirmed, company based in Escondido, CA. It won’t be cheap, but will last for a very long time and appear OEM other than color (which could easily be changed to high heat silver or polished if one desired). It could also easily be changed to 2-1/4” for use in a stock system for an OEM look replacement. The muffler by itself made to custom sizes is only $289.00 and the hemholtz is about the same, the madrel bends and custom fab work and being a one off it’s what blows up the cost for now.

I still need the header though. I will also likely install a race CAT and fab a heat shield for that or put it where the stock heat shield is after the skid plate, haven’t decided on that yet.

I’m hoping I can run my piping from the header to muffler under the skid plate. I don’t like the idea of having that piping run by the trans, transfer case and electronic speedo sensor for the Dakota gauges with no heat shield and having to modify the skid plate. I might also fab a skid plate for the section that sits below the frame so I don’t have to worry about bashing it on trails.

If there is any interest in something like this let me know separately and I can put you into contact with the maker, I don’t want to take anything away from this setup and header combo which is awesome just going a different route after the header on mine.
assuming this would be from Kieth at Dirty Deeds Ind. in Escondido? He does amazing work. great option if he produces a jig off universal oem fj40

assuming this would be from Kieth at Dirty Deeds Ind. in Escondido? He does amazing work. great option if he produces a jig off universal oem fj40
That’s correct Keith is Fabing this up next month for me. No jig per se, I did a mock up in cardboard and took a bunch of measurement and collaborated with Keith over the phone for over an hour. Awesome guy, great service and products.

Totally agree, the potential of the setup for OEM like restorations and the use with the header will be great. Would be better if someone local with a 40 could do a fit up locally with just the muffler to see what the OEM restoration potential could yield in the way of high flow and hopefully no noticeable increase in sound and a perfected jig. Unfortunately I’m no longer local to his shop.

Keith recommended running CAT since I’m fuel injected and to clean up the smell. He’s saw no difference on a dyno with or without CAT on numerous applications, so in his opinion no reason not to run one unless space, money or possibly heat could be an issue.

Keith recommended running CAT since I’m fuel injected and to clean up the smell. He’s saw no difference on a dyno with or without CAT on numerous applications, so in his opinion no reason not to run one unless space, money or possibly heat could be an issue.
I added a cat to my carb'd FJ40 to clean up the smell (I often have kids in the back) and it worked great. no smell ever.

Someone here mentioned Flowmaster 40 series- I changed from a 40 to a 50 series, still sounds good, quieter and less drone but TBH still a little more drone than I would like at certain speeds. Looking forward to hearing Dianna's

Good morning all,
Any update on price & availability for the headers as well as the full system?
These rainy days in CA are perfect for garage tinkering.

Thanks again for working so hard on these.

I see that now. Very cool.

I need this !
Post #385 is a picture of someone else's exhaust setup. My mistake.
I'm still fairly certain the O2 bung is part of the package. Post #374 by @PabloCruise says it is part of the design.

Last edited:

Very cool! I don't see any need to move your post from here, so unless I hear otherwise you ae fine to leave it here. If this idea takes off and you end up organizing some kind of group buy you can start a new thread and link to it here.

An FYI - when you mention "Stock location behind the axle," AFAIK that applies to 40s from 1/75-12/78 (& also '79-'84, but probably different P/N):
1705847839606.png

Before that they ran along the exhaust side frame rail:
1705847915836.png

After that Toyota added a cat. They did keep a muffler behind the rear axle, but I do not think it was the same P/N as the '75-'78 muffler:
1705848133544.png

A few more thoughts:
  • I bet unpolished stainless would look nice and stock.
  • I do not know if you will have enough room above the factory skid (next to the tranny and t-case) for a cat and shielding. They get hot.
  • I also think you want the cat located as close to the combustion action (heat) as possible. I don't know if after the skid plate will be "too late", but that option would allow for lots of options to keep the cat shielded from the cab, and still tucked out of harms way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom