FJ40 Mark/Downey Header (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE - My original vision was that we product to ship to you all in time for Christmas. We are going to miss that mark. The short story is that our manufacturer is having a difficult time hiring skilled welders in order to meet demand, and we have been way too busy w/ our day jobs that we flat out have not had time to discuss revised timelines. We have launched multiple updates and new product in the last 2 months, it has been crazy train.

Sorry for the delay y'all.

UPDATE - My original vision was that we product to ship to you all in time for Christmas. We are going to miss that mark. The short story is that our manufacturer is having a difficult time hiring skilled welders in order to meet demand, and we have been way too busy w/ our day jobs that we flat out have not had time to discuss revised timelines. We have launched multiple updates and new product in the last 2 months, it has been crazy train.

Sorry for the delay y'all.
patient and excited🤙

OMG - It is happening!
Great news for a Happy New Year.
We anticipate getting a shipment of shiny new headers soon!!!

IMG_0354.JPEG

IMG_0350.JPEG

IMG_0353.JPEG

IMG_0352.JPEG

The whole enchilada:

View attachment 3520158

Enjoy y'all.
I look forward to bringing you more updates soon.
All that talk about enchiladas made me hungry - time for dinner!
I am so seriously pumped to hear this news! Excited to place my order in the coming weeks!

As this project gets to the finish line, I wanted to at least cover the wraps (to wrap or to not wrap, that is the question). It all depends on who you ask if wrapping headers is worth it or not. Can they be wrapped as the metal used is much thicker than most headers out there now? On the test mules, any noticeable difference on heat under the hood? Has anyone tried this Amazon product ASIN B000TXU580 instead of wrapping the pipes?
Will the accompanying stock exhaust have an O2 port added or as an option, with such fine work it would be a shame to bugger weld the O2 bung on it. Could there be an option for the O2 bung for those with Snipers on the next pipe from the header? With the updated location from Holley and excellent first hand experience from Nolan Im sure a location could be determined for the production run.

As this project gets to the finish line, I wanted to at least cover the wraps (to wrap or to not wrap, that is the question). It all depends on who you ask if wrapping headers is worth it or not. Can they be wrapped as the metal used is much thicker than most headers out there now? On the test mules, any noticeable difference on heat under the hood? Has anyone tried this Amazon product ASIN B000TXU580 instead of wrapping the pipes?
Will the accompanying stock exhaust have an O2 port added or as an option, with such fine work it would be a shame to bugger weld the O2 bung on it. Could there be an option for the O2 bung for those with Snipers on the next pipe from the header? With the updated location from Holley and excellent first hand experience from Nolan Im sure a location could be determined for the production run.
O2 bung is already a part of our design.
If you go back in the thread a few pages you will see pictures.

As this project gets to the finish line, I wanted to at least cover the wraps (to wrap or to not wrap, that is the question). It all depends on who you ask if wrapping headers is worth it or not. Can they be wrapped as the metal used is much thicker than most headers out there now?
Howdy! @JKIII FJ40

Our official answer is no. Sorry.
Please! Do not use header wrap.
The product warranty will be voided if exhaust / header wrap of any kind is used.

Jim Sickles (@Downey) and others have also advised strongly against the use of header wrap in years past.
In my opinion, the use case for header wrap in 2024 is very limited and only for temporary race applications. I wouldn't put wrap on any Land Cruiser and certainly not on a work of art like our new header.

HOWEVER!
If you really want to manage exhaust system heat and you don't want to scorch your toes, you have very good options:
1. a true ceramic thermal barrier coating (see our vendor recommendation below.)
2. custom fabricate a stainless steel heat shield and suspend it from the body between the exhaust and floorpan / firewall. (a heat shield alone has been discussed elsewhere on MUD and will significantly reduce the internal temperatures in the drivers footwell & passenger compartment.)

For a significant reduction in under hood temperatures, call SWAIN Tech Coatings for a professionally engineered technical coating:
Phone: 585.889.2786
SWAIN coatings perform significantly better than the many cosmetic "ceramic" coatings on the market today.
SWAIN coatings have been tested and used by NASCAR, INDY, NASA, and countless professional automotive & aerospace engineers worldwide.
Depending on their workload, typical product turn around times are a few weeks. It's not cheap but the prices are comparable to the more cosmetic vendors. I think it's worth the money.

I highly recommend SWAIN for all internal combustion engine coatings.
Their combustion chamber and piston coatings are superb for forced induction and top fuel applications.
I have one race car that has their various coatings on the exhaust, pistons, valves, and combustion chambers for well over 20 years.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom