Builds Shakira - The Colombian 1974 FJ43 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kunzma

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought this truck off of the MUD board in August.

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

Limped her off the car carrier and up to the garage. Really need to look her over to see what I want to do for her. I have a desire to do a smaller budget version of what the FJ Company has been doing to the Fj43s that they sell. Clean, simple, sound.

Wheels for certain. New 15" rims with tall skinnies. Swap out the front turn signals for some early round ones. I like the original side mirrors more than the 80's version.

IMG_4233.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of bondo on the fenders. Decided to put new OEM ones on. Cleaned up the front bumper. Removed the diamond plate support and the fog lights. Had some of the holes filled in and then powder coated in anticipation of an 8274 Warn winch installed. Ordered a winch plate from @powthief19. Holes in the aprons from the later turn signal housings are now filled in.

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

71761694186__F4EE2FD4-B90C-45AB-818B-0B59F41E19B8.jpg

IMG_4430 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I had read a page on Mark's Off Road by @65swb45 about what the popular modifications for FJ40s are and his experience with what works and doesn't work. I think that I am going to follow most of his recommendations and let that guide this budget build. Maybe I can save myself a bit of time and money.

The exhaust is a mess. Decided to go with a header and new, larger pipe out the side. The carb looks to be a bit jenky. I managed to get it and the intake manifold removed. Definitely been messed with over the years. Sending the manifold to have it decked and the carb studs redone. Sent the carb to Mark's Off Road to have @65swb45 fix it, if possible.

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4493 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Took Matt’s carb apart Tuesday. When I called him to discuss the post mortem, the top of my list was the prescient phone diagnosis i had made the week before based on his description of the symptoms: bent float!
IMG_8544.jpeg

Last edited:
The carburetor had been more or less brutalized by the last ‘person’ ( and I use that term loosely) that had been inside it. I’ve had a few dozen over the decades where the power valve was frozen. But never one that was broken and left in place!
IMG_8546.jpeg

Without the spring to retract the internal piston, the valve was open all the time! It literally took three seconds with the right tool to take it out.

Last edited:
The resulting overly rich mixture probably helped compensate for the lackluster performance of the accelerator pump. With the spring removed from the chamber, I dropped the plunger in and it fell straight to the bottom of the bore (which is not a good thing).

All these things are fixable. What is not is the kluge of fittings screwed into the inlet that vaguely resembles the leaning tower of Piazza.☹️
IMG_8550.jpeg

Last edited:
After discussion, we elected to replace the air horn.😉

I had read a page on Mark's Off Road by @65swb45 about what the popular modifications for FJ40s are and his experience with what works and doesn't work. I think that I am going to follow most of his recommendations and let that guide this budget build. Maybe I can save myself a bit of time and money.

Genie’s out of that bottle…🙄

Next thing you know your getting dropped shipped wooden crates and planning a vacation to Burbank…

That truck looked like a good buy, congrats!

Will be following. Bonus points for the hardtop.

Well, apparently there’s a problem with the phone line Matt. I tried calling out and my phone is ok.. What’s up?

Well, apparently there’s a problem with the phone line Matt. I tried calling out and my phone is ok.. What’s up?
Apparently I can hear you but you can't hear me. Sent you the number that you quoted for the repairs. Just send the bracket back, as is. I can play with it and get it fixed up.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the 5" inch lift with the major sag in the rear passenger side leafs. Ordered up a Old Man Emu 2.5" lift kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Successfully got the rears on in one afternoon. Fronts installed in another afternoon. Got creative to pull things into place with a strap and come-along in reassembly.

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4494 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Truck sits with a nicer stance now. With the new fenders in place the running boards didn't seem to fit all that well. Removal and examination showed that there were extra bolt holes and few of the other holes didn't align with the body holes. Bought a set of OEM running boards fixed the problem. Easy install.

IMG_4428 (1).jpg

IMG_4473 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom