FiTech/Sniper Distributor ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zerotreedelta (or anyone else on this thread),

Nice work on your build.

I've got a similar setup 2F motor with Sniper EFI and I'm looking to replace the distributor. I'd like to follow your lead on this thread with a swap to the Hyperspark. 2 questions:

1. Is there a source for the Toyota distributor drive gear so I can keep my old distributor as a spare?
2. Has anyone tried the Chevy I6? Is it easier than the converting the Jeep version?

Thanks,

Jim

I asked on here for a gear - they're definitely around and available. I'm not sure on good "direct" sources, though. If you can find the ones with the extra upper collar that they use on the "ebay HEI" conversions, that would likely be even better...but I couldn't find one.

I did have an email back and forth via my YT video on the conversion...they tried the Chevy flavor. Both eventually work, but I think the consensus after was that the Jeep version I used was likely the easier starting point.

@FJ60Cam sells the kits with the proper gear for a 2F

sales@mosleymotors.com

We just fired up a new motor today with the Hyperspark setup. I think we’ve got one setup left and more on the way.

C811355C-28F5-4FCE-A1EB-AA9C7866BCC8.jpeg

39BC5C2C-A548-4763-BC34-11810D60020C.jpeg

We’re even playing around with making our own wires

94D1330D-AEBE-44A3-80E5-93221354C6C9.jpeg

F51544F5-870E-4D94-A570-C9E7BA84768A.jpeg

hello Cam

what is the small sensor / sending unit device that is mounted on the aluminum oil filter mount , under side of your TITZ engine on the stand above ?

thanks
matt
That’s an oil pressure sensor.

Drilled and tapped the old style filter housing for the oil pressure sender?

Nice! Do you think I’d notice a difference in performance with the Hyperspark compares to my Jim C recurved stock distributor?

Yes*

We found a 20 ft-lb increase in torque over a vac-advance (DUI) setup. All in the low & midrange where you most need it.

Real, tangible benefit: we can increase timing in the area below idle speed, which has the effect of giving your engine an extreme will to live when it might normally stall. Taking off from a stop and crawling on the trail at idle speeds require zero to little throttle input.

*computer controlled ignition requires professional dyno tuning to extract the full, measurable potential.

Nice! Do you think I’d notice a difference in performance with the Hyperspark compares to my Jim C recurved stock distributor?
YES. The Hyperspark is controlled by the sniper EFI computer. If it hasn't already been noted, the Hyperspark requires the use of the Sniper system, it can not be used as a standalone distributor. Also, the distributor is about half the cost of the ignition system, still need to buy coil/cdi box and supporting parts.

Last edited:
Caveat - the timing map is not self learning like the fuel map.

The base timing map will have less power than a vac advance distributor.

Tuning will require getting nerdy with the Holley software or taking it to a dyno tuner. We will provide a tune with any kits we sell that should be a really good starting point. It was created with one of our fresh engines, so may not be 100% perfect the further you deviate from that.

We will be able to load the tune on new Snipers (for customers also buying the Hyperspark system) so that once you connect power, the system is ready to go (no setup wizard or laptop needed). The computer will continue to self-learn and adjust the fuel map to your engine.

Retrofits will require a windows laptop, Holley EFI software, communications cable, and the patience and willingness to dive deeper into the software.

Last edited:
Caveat - the timing map is not self learning like the fuel map.

The base timing map will have less power than a vac advance distributor.

Tuning will require getting nerdy with the Holley software or taking it to a dyno tuner. We will provide a tune with any we sell that should be a really good starting point. It was created with one of our fresh engines, so may not be 100% perfect the further you deviate from that.
Can you confirm that the unit you are selling is either the Chevy or Jeep/Chrysler unit, and are you supplying a new or used Toyota gear for using this distributor in the F series engines? Thank You.

Can you confirm that the unit you are selling is either the Chevy or Jeep/Chrysler unit, and are you supplying a new or used Toyota gear for using this distributor in the F series engines? Thank You.
No

As much as I’d like to be an open source of information, I’ve invested thousands of dollars of resources to arrive at a working solution. I make my livelihood from selling parts & service, not giving away my information.

As much as I’d like to be an open source of information, I’ve invested thousands of dollars of resources to arrive at a working solution. I make my livelihood from selling parts & service, not giving away my information
Telling your customers what they will be receiving if they purchase from you is not giving anything away. Are we going to get a used gear when we buy this from you? And if we need to purchase a replacement dizzy or contact Holley for warranty, what are we supposed to tell them when they ask which unit we have? If you've had to modify the unit at all during your investment, then you have voided the factory warranty. I appreciate your input to the community, but there are scenarios where a customer might need to not work directly through you. Just a little less secrecy and a bit more assurance was all I was asking. The quality of your service and your reputation should be the driving force of your livelihood, not the withholding of information.

Last edited:
The actual dizzy is extremely simple as there's one moving part. I've got some footage to edit on how to do the mod (at least how I did it), I may edit it up this month. It's under an hour to do with minimal tools, provided you have a gear to swap.

The model is stamped on the distributor, so anyone that purchases one would inevitably know which flavor it was - there's no keeping a secret there. It's one or the other, and both are very similar.

The only thing really to fail is the hall effect sensor, and I'd wager Holley would still service that, but good question there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom