FiTech/Sniper Distributor ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zerotreedelta,

Thanks for your work on this and this thread actually gave me the confidence to go ahead with the Hyperspark. (Also credit to Mosely, I bought their kit instead of sourcing the distributor gear and doing the machining myself.)

This table is really useful. I want to be respectful of Mosley's desire not to share the programming that came with their kit, but it was too aggressive on timing advance for my motor so your info above is helpful as I dial that tuning back. (Mosley has great products, my motor is just likely rebuilt differently than the motor they did the tune on or I'm lower in altitude or my local gas is bad or whatever - its just different.)

Glad to hear it's going well, it looks great!

Full disclosure - we're still in the late pre-sale stage. The timing table we have now is built for a brand new higher-than-normal performance 2F using premium pump gas. You should expect to tweak it for anything else. We are going to dyno an upcoming Sniper/Hyperspark install on a "typical" motor so that we have a variety of starting tunes to hand out.

Starts and runs better than any carb I've had on an FJ40. Started immediately after installation but requires some simple adjustment like IAC valve screw before driving. (If not already set correctly, setting baseline ignition to the 7 degree BB is also helpful.) Initial learn cycle required (maybe 5 mile of driving) until hesitations disappear. Still working on optimizing. Biggest issue so far is that learn mode doesn't start until 160 F coolant temp. I can only get that with a piece of cardboard over the radiator so I have a weak thermostat or a bad CTS. Working on those before I spend much more time on the air fuel map and timing advance.

We're finding more and more than cold tuning (temp enrichment, etc) is needed to really dial in how it runs below 160. Some trucks need none, some alot.

We're finding more and more than cold tuning (temp enrichment, etc) is needed to really dial in how it runs below 160. Some trucks need none, some alot.
I had to adjust the cold temp enrichment as well for mine once fall weather hit, mostly just for an off-idle hiccup when starting off before the thermostat opens.

I park mine for winter salt, but it does start right up in the cold when I need to move it out of the garage. The Sniper is nice on its own, but the full suite controlling both fuel and ignition is definitely a step up. No regrets here with quite a few miles under the belt on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom