Let's Talk Fuel Injectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time posting as a new owner. Took me a year and half to find my rig. Yes, I made sure my fiance could handle the fact that there is now a truck in my life :D and as Californian she's pre-1975...just in case. Photos of my 1971 FJ43 below. I'm in love with her. My vision is to learn mechanics and maintain something beautiful in this world of fast consumption.

That said, she's already blown three gaskets and misfired through the carburetor. Thank God for fire extinguishers. I got my wish: I'm learning fast!

Now I have to decide if I'll keep my summit carburetor, upgrade to something like Edelbrock, or bite the bullet and transition to a fuel injector. Eventually, I want to toy with something more environmentally friendly than fuel injection (cue: John Lennon, I'm a dreamer), but it's not a bad start.

If I go the fuel injector route I'm looking a either a Sniper 2 EFI or a FITECH. Anyone have experience with either? What's the good bad and the ugly from your perspective?
IMG_2834.jpeg
IMG_2829.jpeg
IMG_2820.jpeg

Have experience with both, on Land Cruisers and others. Hands down, Sniper- if for no other reason than the support and information available.
Awesome, thank you. My mechanic also recommended the sniper, but a family friend isn't a huge holly fan and told me the programming on fitech is better. There doesn't seem to be much of a price difference.

Nothing personal but who is doing your head gaskets. I've had my 72 since 82 and never lost a head gasket. I am however on the 3rd engine for other reasons. Bad brake booster fried #5 cylinder on the OEM, same piston broke on 2 engine. My current number 3 engine came with a liner in number 5. I'm still running the 2 bbl Rochester and delco dissy that came on engine #1

before doing anything,
first I would make sure the health of the engine is good.
you have other issues that need to be corrected
sniper or any other FI will not work well on an engine that has other issues.

which gasket has "blown" 3 times?

how about some under hood pics?
central American rig? who knows what was done to it down there, especially if it was "restored" down there.

before doing anything,
first I would make sure the health of the engine is good.
you have other issues that need to be corrected
sniper or any other FI will not work well on an engine that has other issues.

which gasket has "blown" 3 times?

how about some under hood pics?
central American rig? who knows what was done to it down there, especially if it was "restored" down there.
There is one on the left and one on the right. When I first bought the car it was very rich so I took it to a muffler shop. They found a lot of leaks in the exhaust pipe. And it was banging against the emergency brake just front of the oil pan which I think is what escalated the issue. They rerouted the pipe to create more room and used more robust bolts (those had come loose or off on both). But then the car started stalling out, so I adjusted the carburetor, which fixed the issue....but I'm a noob and it was my first attempt. After a. few weeks I noticed it started sounding off. Unfortunately I didn't know enough to know what the sound meant or what the repercussions would be: fire. The muffler shop redid the work and replaced both gaskets (even tough only the left one blew this time) with steel this time around.

Attached is a picture under the hood. My mechanic seems to think the engine is in good order.

I've decided to go with the Sniper 2 EFI. It sounds like it has a good reputation, my mechanic is a Holly man, and I like that the programming doesn't require an external computer. Plus, I love a good tool that both functional and fashionable. Man are they sleek to look at.

1971_toyota_land-cruiser-fj43_img_3210-55756.jpeg

I run the Sniper 2 with the complete Hyperspark ignition on my SBC and have been very happy with it . The Sniper 1 was a nightmare . I can not tell if you are running headers or Ramhorn exhaust manifolds ? I constantly had to tighten my header bolts until i went to Remflex Gaskets . I will be going to Sanderson headers next .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom