FiTech/Sniper Distributor ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ah! Those clips. I didn't see that weight pulled up like that. I already had it back together. Thanks Jim for pointing that out. I'm wondering if I pulled that weight up when I removed the rotor. Doesn't matter. I want the clips now. I can't can't believe they chose to leave them out. I feel we've strayed off Jim D's original thread purpose, but I'm grateful for the info learned. Thanks again.

DUI clips 04.jpg

Jim is correct. I see no one has changed the assembly process. Mine got so bad the weights jumped the posts, knocking the springs off,
and flung around in the cap. The cap and rotor were destroyed and the top of the main shaft bent. The "performance curve" kits
also usually include bushings of a nylon or delron. If your's is like what I had, the weights are rather sloppy on the posts. The bushings
tightened up the weights so when you spin the main shaft the weights no longer flop around. Once I added the bushings and e-clips
the dizzy ran smoother. No problems after that

@Steamer ,no fault of yours for not noticing. We usually assume a product with a price tag like that will address all the possible issues.
I had to disassemble an original HEI next to my Davis to catch this. After 12,000 miles and the first failure , I couldn't get the
thing to stay assembled. Even when I pointed out to the tech at Davis that the original GM units had the clips for a reason,
he maintained they weren't necessary...so why are the grooves for the clips still there?

lcwizard , This is good info. Yes. My weights are a bit sloppy on the posts. Like you say, disappointing for the price. But so glad to find this out and now know how to remedy it. A quick look at curve kits and I haven't found one with e-clips included. Just ordered an e-clip assortment kit. Not sure which curve kit to get to obtain the correct size bushings. Did your bushings have the flange on top or where they straight?

lcwizard , This is good info. Yes. My weights are a bit sloppy on the posts. Like you say, disappointing for the price. But so glad to find this out and now know how to remedy it. A quick look at curve kits and I haven't found one with e-clips included. Just ordered an e-clip assortment kit. Not sure which curve kit to get to obtain the correct size bushings. Did your bushings have the flange on top or where they straight?
I honestly don't recall. I believe the set had both to choose from. It was quite a few years ago. I bought them at AutoZone in a hanging package. They were pretty cheap. Things like this never fail near home. It's always in a very inopportune place

^ You guys are freaking me out... :nailbiting:

seriously me too....
I don't wanna wreck my engine because I didn't get the cam gear right
Toyota Landcruiser DUI Distributor - Performance Distributors
this one is supposed to fit F and 2F engines. Why not just get this one and not worry about the gear?
(side note, I just realized there is not a gear in the photo. Does anyone know if this comes with one?)
also will this D.U.I. - E.F.I. work with the Holly Sniper Fuel Injection?

I have read about the D.U.I. having shaft bushing issues after 20-30k miles, also that they use a plastic composite screw / nut / or bolt to hold something down (I forget what) inside to prevent arcing, and it has a tendency to break and destroy the dizzy... Now I see they don't include e-clips to keep the weights from flying off while bouncing around off road. Lastly, there was someone that had a shaft length issue and destroyed an engine here on mud... So unless the shaft bushing is upgraded to a ball bearing, like the late model 3f distributors, and the other issues are corrected, I would not pay 350.00 for one. Especially since D.U.I. has been contacted about these problems, and they have not been rectified.

Is there even such a thing as a HEI unit with ball bearings instead of a brass bushing?

Does anyone have any experience with the latest Man-A-Fre HEI distributors? Do they suffer these same problems, or are they a higher quality product without issues??

seriously me too....
I don't wanna wreck my engine because I didn't get the cam gear right
Toyota Landcruiser DUI Distributor - Performance Distributors
this one is supposed to fit F and 2F engines. Why not just get this one and not worry about the gear?
(side note, I just realized there is not a gear in the photo. Does anyone know if this comes with one?)
also will this D.U.I. - E.F.I. work with the Holly Sniper Fuel Injection?

The gear is included, it is the right one, and it is in the picture. Hard to see it but it's black. I've been running it about two years now and just did install a Sniper. I'm not controlling the timing with the Sniper. At first I thought I would but then didn't think I'd benefit from what's involved. The DUI and the Sniper are running well together.

I installed an FJ60 distributor on my 1.5F back in ~2004 or so to get electronic ignition and vac advance.

is there any reason the GM based HEI distributors are better? Otherwise an FJ60 distributor seems like a no-brainer?

I used the HyperSpark (Holley) with my Sniper install. After many attempts trying to make the GM HEI work with (first MegaSquirt) and several distributors, the HyperSpark just worked. Seriously PLUG and PLAY rather than Plug & Pray.
Which part number did you use for the hyoerspark?

The gear is included, it is the right one, and it is in the picture. Hard to see it but it's black. I've been running it about two years now and just did install a Sniper. I'm not controlling the timing with the Sniper. At first, I thought I would but then didn't think I'd benefit from what's involved. The DUI and the Sniper are running well together.
I just found out that even though my cruiser is a 73 and I'm in Califonia the vehicle has to be a pre 67 to allow the DUI EFI Distributor :(
has anyone heard different?
DUI nor Summit will ship it to California

I have heard though if I get a 67 frame and swap the frame out I could register it as a 67
That would be a headache and i feel not really worth it.

Do you have a photo of the DUI EFI and Sniper on your rig?

I was able to take a purchase all the way to checkout on both summit and dui websites shipping to a CA address without any questions about the vehicle. Maybe you should try it without your vehicle being specified.

Do you have a photo of the DUI EFI and Sniper on your rig?

Here a link to my Sniper install. "LINK"

Here's a pic of the DUI. The only connection between the DUI and the Sniper is the yellow wire that comes from the DUI's "Tach" terminal and goes to the Sniper harness which is used for engine speed sensing. Besides the spark plug wires, the only other wire connected to the DUI is the 12 volt supply from the ignition switch via a relay. (orange wire)

DUI 01.jpg

I installed an FJ60 distributor on my 1.5F back in ~2004 or so to get electronic ignition and vac advance.

is there any reason the GM based HEI distributors are better? Otherwise an FJ60 distributor seems like a no-brainer?

The FJ60 81-87 that uses ball bearings instead of brass bushings. Only downside is that Toyota no longer manufactures them. I would assume the shafts would virtually last forever and not wear like those employed in housings with bushings, so rebuilding them with new bearings should result in a like new product if done correctly.

Here in South America the non-USA ROW dizzy was used indefinitely, until the switch was made to the 1FZ engine. Toyota still manufactures it, and can be had for 295.00

OEM 2F Distributor for '75 and Earlier Land Cruiser FJ40

The Land Cruiser Pertronix Ignitor fits this distributor. So the Ignitor paired with a Pertronix 3ohm epoxy filled coil, makes a very reliable electronic ignition upgrade to a genuine Toyota distributor that can still be purchased new. This is IMO, is one of the best options available to us.

I posted this on another thread a while back:

So I have been researching this mod quite a bit. I know that I will be changing out my petronix equipped, capped vac line, vac retard dizzy when I take the plunge. I came across this article from 2004 where chevy EFI was adapted to a 2F. What I found interesting was this part:
Turbo City performed the fuel injection conversion on our pre-smog Land Cruiser using a distributor from Up And Over Innovations to interface between the Toyota engine and the GM computer. Unlike the factory Toyota unit, this distributor doesn't have a vacuum advance since the ignition advance and retard functions are now handled by the GM computer. In fact, the computer thinks it's receiving signals from a '90 V-6 S-10 pickup.
Does anyone know anything about these distributors, if they will work with the Sniper's timing control and how they are adapted to an F/2F? I cant find anything about Turbo City or Up and Over Innovations, but they do link Davis Unified Innovations in the article.
131_0207_efi_06_z.jpg

This shows a comparison of the stock distributor (right) and the Up And Over Innovations modified GM electronic distributor. If you look closely, youll notice that the new distributor has no vacuum advance. The computer (ECU) now handles all the ignition advance and retard functions. This distributor is slightly taller than the stock unit and might interfere with some dual battery trays. If it does, modify the tray. Its worth the effort to get EFI.
Could you just buy a chevy S10 distributor and swap on a Toyota gear?

I used the HyperSpark (Holley) with my Sniper install. After many attempts trying to make the GM HEI work with (first MegaSquirt) and several distributors, the HyperSpark just worked. Seriously PLUG and PLAY rather than Plug & Pray.
Which Holley part number for the hyoerspark?

I posted this on another thread a while back:

So I have been researching this mod quite a bit. I know that I will be changing out my petronix equipped, capped vac line, vac retard dizzy when I take the plunge. I came across this article from 2004 where chevy EFI was adapted to a 2F. What I found interesting was this part:

Does anyone know anything about these distributors, if they will work with the Sniper's timing control and how they are adapted to an F/2F? I cant find anything about Turbo City or Up and Over Innovations, but they do link Davis Unified Innovations in the article.
131_0207_efi_06_z.jpg

Could you just buy a chevy S10 distributor and swap on a Toyota gear?

I have a GM HEI with the toyota gear swapped on. Went through a couple distributor shear pins before realizing Toyota originally used a solid pin.

The GM HEI shaft is a different diameter at the top so there’s a dribble of an oil leak from the clamp. It’s enough to see on the engine but not much else.

I have 4 DUI distributors. Never had any problems. I run them with my Snipers. Very easy.

On my friends 350 converted 40 we installed all of the Holley ignition and dissy stuff to control the timing. Eh. No thanks. It’s a lot of electronics to replace a simple vacuum advance.

Speaking of dizzy's and Sniper installs, do you guys & gals see any issues of using the 19100-61180 points distributor with this set-up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom