What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (59 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just causing problems ....haha. 2 nuts on the battery hold down....Well that sounds perverted ...nevermind ;)
4 nuts actually. Double perverted.:rimshot:

But the amount of shame that people here out on others for *gasp* non OEM parts is one of the most off putting things about this forum.

It's made me stop my build thread.
Thin skin much? There's a reason so many on this forum pound the OEM drum on a number of parts. There's enough experience showing that alternatives from the aftermarket are inferior. Nobody means anything personal by recommending OEM or questioning someone that uses aftermarket. It's intended to help with safety and reliability in a spirit of *help*, which is what the forum is for. If someone feels like they just "know better" all the time and are just wanting to show off their stuff then what is the forum for, specifically the TECH section? There are other sections for builds if someone doesn't want any technical input.

I don't mean to imply that you're some kind of "know-it-all" but rather, just saying recognize the spirit in which comments are made and don't take them personally.

Figured out the history of mine.

In May 1995, at what is now a Toyota "Mobility" Store at Tokyo-to, Minatoku, Mita 3-chome 11-34, this truck was seemingly leased or used as a fleet vehicle for a florist shop (seems it still exists). This lasted until April 2006 when a different Toyota dealer took ownership and then sold it in May to a guy in Hokkaido. He was the owner until he sold it for export in 2021. Kinda neat.

Anyway time to start chipping away. Did the hatch struts and replaced my steering wheel now that I finally have the right boss kit (Works Bell 522).

20220401_181919.jpg
20220402_115912.jpg

Cleaned up everything in the steering column while I was in there. Still cant decide if I want to keep this one or get the mahogany-rimmed one.

You could try eating a spoonful of quikrete mix every morning. It might help you harden the F up.....

Haha, JK 😜

View attachment 2969843

I actually agree, the whole oem parts only thing is over rated. I am using an Amazon special drivers side mirror for $44.00 and it works just as good as an oem mirror.
It's not about hardening up. It's about removing negativity willfully.

I am content with my parts selection. There is no reason to update a group of people that get off on s***ting on people who make choices against the norm.
Thin skin much? There's a reason so many on this forum pound the OEM drum on a number of parts. There's enough experience showing that alternatives from the aftermarket are inferior. Nobody means anything personal by recommending OEM or questioning someone that uses aftermarket. It's intended to help with safety and reliability in a spirit of *help*, which is what the forum is for. If someone feels like they just "know better" all the time and are just wanting to show off their stuff then what is the forum for, specifically the TECH section? There are other sections for builds if someone doesn't want any technical input.

I don't mean to imply that you're some kind of "know-it-all" but rather, just saying recognize the spirit in which comments are made and don't take them personally.

I'll use an example. I have had a lightning for 18 years. I know the platform in and out. I know what does and doesn't work and what parts are acceptable and what will fail. In certain instances oem is the way. The OEM coil packs just work. They work up to about 650hp. But recently through testing the denso packs have proven as effective and reliable and are half the price.

The OEM head gaskets are about $110 per side. The equivalent felpro is $50 per side. The felpro has proven to work in even the highest horsepower power trucks. Mine included.

There are quality aftermarket parts often made by the same company that makes OEM, for a fraction of the price because it's in a different package.

I refuse to believe that acceptable aftermarket parts don't exist for these. And I refuse to partake in the ****ing shaming that goes on for not using them.

It has nothing to do with thin skin. I could give a rats **** what people think about me. But I'm not going to waste time posting s*** just for the leg bumpers to s*** on it.

Last edited:
Might be the same people that bypass the PHH with just the hose. Or maybe do the rear heater delete or change the paperclip style cooler or even lift their rig or put 35s, 37s or 40s while still using stock brakes..etc. etc. etc.....THE HORROR of not using specific Toyota hardware, especially when you already know what you are doing.

Like this?

That's also a non OEM heater valve. But the OEM is nla. So I modified that to work.

20220227_132901.jpg

Cruiser outfitters rebuild kit and non oem rotors pads and calipers. The horror....

20211211_203053.jpg

It's not about hardening up. It's about removing negativity willfully.

I am content with my parts selection. There is no reason to update a group of people that get off on s***ting on people who make choices against the norm.

I'll use an example. I have had a lightning for 18 years. I know the platform in and out. I know what does and doesn't work and what parts are acceptable and what will fail. In certain instances oem is the way. The OEM coil packs just work. They work up to about 650hp. But recently through testing the denso packs have proven as effective and reliable and are half the price.

The OEM head gaskets are about $110 per side. The equivalent felpro is $50 per side. The felpro has proven to work in even the highest horsepower power trucks. Mine included.

There are quality aftermarket parts often made by the same company that makes OEM, for a fraction of the price because it's in a different package.

I refuse to believe that acceptable aftermarket parts don't exist for these. And I refuse to partake in the f***ing shaming that goes on for not using them.

It has nothing to do with thin skin. I could give a rats f*** what people think about me. But I'm not going to waste time posting s*** just for the leg bumpers to s*** on it.

I hope that you have an industrial grinder. Your axe is enormous.

Peace, out.

Why are you not using OEM hardware?

Cheers
I added about 1/2 inch when I welded on the plates, bolt is too short now

Who's sliders?
those are white knuckle. If you look closely at the picture, I need to drop the rear a little so they are lined up with the body even. That pass side was a real pita to do by yourself... it doesn't help that i am pretty stupid too.

those are white knuckle. If you look closely at the picture, I need to drop the rear a little so they are lined up with the body even. That pass side was a real pita to do by yourself... it doesn't help that i am pretty stupid too.

I am also stupid. So I feel you.

Wkor is what I've been eyeing. How was the wait?

I am also stupid.
That's funny given the recent discussion topic. LOL I'm kidding.

Nobody on here has said there aren't good aftermarket parts that work. I would wager than a vast majority on here have aftermarket parts on their cruiser. For some parts however, OEM is best, period. Even if there is something that seems the same at a lower cost. Just like your example of your years of experience with your Lightning. You've learned what works and what doesn't over years of experience with the truck. That's the same thing happening here. The decades of collective knowledge and experience here on the forum have learned over time what parts should be replaced with OEM and anything else will not work as well. Some of those things are safety related like brake and suspension fasteners for example, where the best should be used if at all possible. Nobody is saying you *MUST* use OEM or you're not welcome, but the recommendation is being made for a reason. I'll repeat my earlier comment about the recommendations are offered in a spirit of trying to help. But you do you. You've made sure we all know that your years with a Ford and working on airplanes and working in the biggest building by volume and I'm sure countless other things have given you better knowledge than what exists here. ;) But you'll continue to be annoyed by those that will continue to recommend OEM parts for some things.

Since Woody has chat screwed down so tight, for entertainment we are left with new members who debate with folks that have worked with, on, and had Land Cruisers in various predicaments for decades.

Back to tech and cool 80 stuff, I just got my steering wheel back from Craft Customs I am very pleased with the quality. I opted for black stitching, hoping for more of a contrast.
C20C70BD-FF80-450D-B408-3DCB99AFB36E.jpeg
03FEF0F0-2255-46CD-8C0E-969FD9FCFC40.jpeg

Last edited:
Since Woody has chat screwed down so tight, for entertainment we are left with new members who debate with folks that have worked with, on, and had Land Cruisers in various predicaments for decades.

Back to tech and cool 80 stuff, I just got my steering wheel back from Craft Customs I am very pleased with the quality. I opted for black stitching, hoping for more of a contrast.View attachment 2970499View attachment 2970500

That looks really nice. What was the cost and turnaround?

That looks really nice. What was the cost and turnaround?

image.jpg

Thanks!!!

The additional $35 was to eliminate the rolling/looseness that many of them have at the top.

They indicated approximately 12 business days, it was closer to 3 weeks.

The customer service was great. A tech calls when they receive to review the repair and they text pictures and shipping invoice when completed.

Back to tech and cool 80 stuff, I just got my steering wheel back from Craft Customs I am very pleased with the quality. I opted for black stitching, hoping for more of a contrast.View attachment 2970499View attachment 2970500
That looks like CRAP! Why would you do something non-OEM on this truck?

What's wrong with you?

;):moon:;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom