Installed Dobinson's 1.75 Inch Variable Rate Suspension Kit: C59 - 222V, C59 223V (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went with the 220V (+110lbs load) since I don't have a winch or bull bar at the moment, but I wanted to have extra overall load capacity. I'd probably go with the 222V if you have a bull bar and winch. The 223V (+220lbs load) on the rear rides high since I'm unloaded at the moment, but I have plans for a drawer system and wanted the extra capacity for when we are loaded down. I have run with about 300lbs in the back and it was nice and smooth.

I did not consider any of the new shocks, I'm not sure they were even an option when I ordered my kit back in September. The shocks that I have (GS59-683 front, GS59-682 rear) have worked great thus far. I've put about 1000 miles on the setup at this point and even on bumpy washboard roads the variable rate springs plus fresh shocks has made a drastic difference in smoothness and handling. I was on original 1994 springs that were sagging so the difference was impressive.

For caster correction I went with the MAF drop brackets for the following reasons:

- My usage does not include hard core rock crawling where clearance would be an issue
- I thought they would be easy to install (they were actually the hardest part of the whole installation since grinding + drilling was required to make them fit)
- My control arm bushings do need replacement (age not obvious damage) but they are in ok shape and I didn't want to tear into those just yet
- I didn't want to mess with caster bushings (no press easily available, plus reliability concerns) or caster drop brackets (no welder easily available)

As for the outcome I've been very pleased. The cruiser drives great on the highway, great on the trails, no vibrations, no twitchy handling, etc.. The only downer is that my older dog can't make the jump into the back on her own anymore (she tried but cased the landing pretty hard). Now I'm shopping for a dog ramp.🐶

View attachment 2565812

View attachment 2565813
View attachment 2565815
View attachment 2565816
View attachment 2565823

I really like this stance, and am glad to see it as I ordered a similar set up for a 94 that I'm building up--but with caster correction bushings instead.

• C59-220V Front Coil Springs for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series 1990-1997 2.0" Lift Progressive Rate with 0-110LBS Load
  • C59-223V Rear Coil Springs for Toyota Land Cruiser
  • Front Swaybar Extension Set for Toyota Land Cruiser 70 and 80 Series (9/1991+)
  • Rear Swaybar Extension for Toyota Land Cruiser 70 and 80 Series Side Chassis Mount
  • GS59-682 Pair of Rear Shocks
  • GS59-683 Pair of Front Shocks
My aim is a relatively low and compliant, comfortable lift. This truck will wear a campteq pop-top and be shod with 255/80 R17 Cooper ST Maxx on FJ Cruiser steel wheels. Lightweight, stock build otherwise--no bars, etc. I'll try to remember to post pics here for sake of common knowledge.

I really like this stance, and am glad to see it as I ordered a similar set up for a 94 that I'm building up--but with caster correction bushings instead.

• C59-220V Front Coil Springs for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series 1990-1997 2.0" Lift Progressive Rate with 0-110LBS Load
  • C59-223V Rear Coil Springs for Toyota Land Cruiser
  • Front Swaybar Extension Set for Toyota Land Cruiser 70 and 80 Series (9/1991+)
  • Rear Swaybar Extension for Toyota Land Cruiser 70 and 80 Series Side Chassis Mount
  • GS59-682 Pair of Rear Shocks
  • GS59-683 Pair of Front Shocks
My aim is a relatively low and compliant, comfortable lift. This truck will wear a campteq pop-top and be shod with 255/80 R17 Cooper ST Maxx on FJ Cruiser steel wheels. Lightweight, stock build otherwise--no bars, etc. I'll try to remember to post pics here for sake of common knowledge.
As promised, here’s how that sits. This is unloaded shot with iPhone--should have brought a 50mm lens to avoid the slight distortion. Anyhow... Nice smooth ride, eats up the washboards, and corners without body roll. I like it. We’ll see how she ages and holds my touring weight.
87E09BD8-2E90-4FB4-B008-7E644836FFA1.jpeg
35D17DE4-E806-4163-89A6-1885BE45892B.jpeg
AA0AA4D9-D3D1-442A-820F-BB5F89C9E16D.jpeg

Bumpity bump...everyone still digging their 222V/223V setups? Good info in this thread, just checking in on some longer term feedback. Thanks!
I’m 220/223 and super happy. Zero complaints. Have maybe 5000 on road and 700 miles off road in lots of mixed condition on them and for what I do…not sure I could ask for more.

I’m 220/223 and super happy. Zero complaints. Have maybe 5000 on road and 700 miles off road in lots of mixed condition on them and for what I do…not sure I could ask for more.
That's really great to hear!!

Would you mind post up some photos of how they look at ride height with the truck just sitting on the ground? Many people ask me for photos (for some reason) but I don't have any saved of the 220V, 222V, or 223V's. I think they want to see how the variable rate sits, like how many top coils are touching and how far apart the bottom turns are.

Good stuff! I’m wanting to run some variant of these springs with 255/86R16’s. Waiting to see how it settles our once I get my diesel in, before I commit to a certain spring. I’m also a fan of pictures. 😂

That's really great to hear!!

Would you mind post up some photos of how they look at ride height with the truck just sitting on the ground? Many people ask me for photos (for some reason) but I don't have any saved of the 220V, 222V, or 223V's. I think they want to see how the variable rate sits, like how many top coils are touching and how far apart the bottom turns are.
Standby.

I'm enjoying mine. I have no frame of reference though as I was on pretty old Oem springs and dead carquest shocks when I bought my cruiser. I'm running new OEM Tokicos right now, and I've been doing a lot of reading regarding what the logical shock upgrade for me would be. I'm still undecided.

Bumpity bump...everyone still digging their 222V/223V setups? Good info in this thread, just checking in on some longer term feedback. Thanks!

I like the 220/223 combo thus far. The modest ride height increase feels just right; it's not begging drive line problems, and the center of gravity isn't perched high and tippy. It's a surprisingly compliant and comfortable ride, and it capably handles loads and cornering. It's not as plush and planted as a stock set up, but, in my experience, nothing really is.

Last edited:
anyone having issues with the rear spring length?

@crikeymike can you verify the 223V free height i have here are correct? I am concerned that with such a short spring I'm going to have issues running a longer shock (24" or 26" preferably) and the spring will pop out...

FrontHeightRate
Factory ~19.5-
OME 285118.7 / 19.09220
OME 285019.49 / 19.88220
OME 2850J20.27 / 20.67220
Dob C59-222V20.28 / 20.67182 / 239
Rear
Factory ~18.5-
OME 286018.89 / 19.26220
OME 286318.89 / 19.26250
OME 2863 J19.88 / 20.27265
Dob C59-223V17.52 / 17.91206 / 264

anyone having issues with the rear spring length?

@crikeymike can you verify the 223V free height i have here are correct? I am concerned that with such a short spring I'm going to have issues running a longer shock (24" or 26" preferably) and the spring will pop out...

FrontHeightRate
Factory ~19.5-
OME 285118.7 / 19.09220
OME 285019.49 / 19.88220
OME 2850J20.27 / 20.67220
Dob C59-222V20.28 / 20.67182 / 239
Rear
Factory ~18.5-
OME 286018.89 / 19.26220
OME 286318.89 / 19.26250
OME 2863 J19.88 / 20.27265
Dob C59-223V17.52 / 17.91206 / 264
The C59-223V are 445/455mm free height. They're not long travel coils and should just be run with a 0-3" length shock.

GS59-682 are 630mm extended. 24.8" and there's never been an issue with these.

@crikeymike how are stock levels on the various shocks right now?

Dobinson’s is currently 3-4 months out on most of their springs. So, I’m contemplating
Running their 1.75 stock weight Comfort springs Up front (C59-234) and the C59-223V rear, which are currently available.
-No plans for aftermarket bumpers/etc on this 80., “maybe” a full length roof rack down the road. I Usually have coolers/dog kennels/junk in the back (3rd row seats are removed).
I am mostly concerned about ride quality and too much rake.
-Any thoughts/suggestions on this setup would be greatly appreciated!

Dobinson’s is currently 3-4 months out on most of their springs. So, I’m contemplating
Running their 1.75 stock weight Comfort springs Up front (C59-234) and the C59-223V rear, which are currently available.
-No plans for aftermarket bumpers/etc on this 80., “maybe” a full length roof rack down the road. I Usually have coolers/dog kennels/junk in the back (3rd row seats are removed).
Exit offroad got me dobinsons springs in about 5 days…

I installed the 222V/223V springs and Dob's IMS shocks on my rig in November 2021. I have probably 3K miles and about 6 off-road adventures on the setup right now. I'm very happy with it. I did install 20mm spacers up front and 15mm spacers in the rear. My truck sits perfectly level, and I actually wish it had a bit of rake. I might go back in and install 30mm spacers in the rear. My truck feels much more composed on the trail now, and I don't have such nosediving in the rollers on the trail. I can move much faster over rolling terrain without fear of bottoming out. The springs do feel pretty stiff in the rear, like when I drive over seams in the road. My old TJM progressive springs were much softer, but that is part of why I got rid of them. They couldn't handle any load. I have a 55Q Dometic fridge in back and usually at least another 100 pounds of food, water, recovery gear even on light trips.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Dob's setup. No one setup is ideal in all situations, and it's hard to buy such expensive parts without being able to drive the options back to back in same circumstances to really test them. But I'm happy with what I have now and I don't plan to change it again.

The C59-234 are essentially the linear rate version of the C59-220V variable rate coils, and the 234's are intended for no front weight, so you shouldn't have any concerns about ride quality.

The 223V's may be a little taller without the rack on there.

@ZackR It's been a couple of years, would you do the same shocks again? The Ims option looks really nice but I need to try and keep a piece or 2 of my truck in some sort of budget. $1200 shocks vs. $600. I'm not doing any high speed desert racing with a higher milage 1FZ.

I went with the 220V (+110lbs load) since I don't have a winch or bull bar at the moment, but I wanted to have extra overall load capacity. I'd probably go with the 222V if you have a bull bar and winch. The 223V (+220lbs load) on the rear rides high since I'm unloaded at the moment, but I have plans for a drawer system and wanted the extra capacity for when we are loaded down. I have run with about 300lbs in the back and it was nice and smooth.

I did not consider any of the new shocks, I'm not sure they were even an option when I ordered my kit back in September. The shocks that I have (GS59-683 front, GS59-682 rear) have worked great thus far. I've put about 1000 miles on the setup at this point and even on bumpy washboard roads the variable rate springs plus fresh shocks has made a drastic difference in smoothness and handling. I was on original 1994 springs that were sagging so the difference was impressive.

For caster correction I went with the MAF drop brackets for the following reasons:

- My usage does not include hard core rock crawling where clearance would be an issue
- I thought they would be easy to install (they were actually the hardest part of the whole installation since grinding + drilling was required to make them fit)
- My control arm bushings do need replacement (age not obvious damage) but they are in ok shape and I didn't want to tear into those just yet
- I didn't want to mess with caster bushings (no press easily available, plus reliability concerns) or caster drop brackets (no welder easily available)

As for the outcome I've been very pleased. The cruiser drives great on the highway, great on the trails, no vibrations, no twitchy handling, etc.. The only downer is that my older dog can't make the jump into the back on her own anymore (she tried but cased the landing pretty hard). Now I'm shopping for a dog ramp.🐶

View attachment 2565812

View attachment 2565813
View attachment 2565815
View attachment 2565816
View attachment 2565823

Totally off topic is that black butte and bachelor in the back ground? I use to go to a summer camp at Big Lake there in Central Oregon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom