Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One product that I’ve used on my patina trucks with good results is Whink Rust Stain Remover. It’s like CLR on Steroids. It’s very powerful and a little bit goes a long way. Paired with a Scotch Brite pad, this stuff will absolutely erase rust stains from paint. I work it in small sections and clean it off really well with soapy water when I’m done with a section. Don’t leave it on the paint for too long. It can dull the finish and possibly etch.
View attachment 2579086Before:
View attachment 2579088
After:
View attachment 2579089
Before:
View attachment 2579090
After:
View attachment 2579091

Ordered!

Nothing more satisfying than a full Griots polish on some 37 year old single stage

5D04A8DF-7B51-4974-9D6B-2D888D582EE2.jpeg

@FJBen - where does your friend live? I would be concerned about the hood as that is not normal patina - was it near the ocean?

@FJBen - where does your friend live? I would be concerned about the hood as that is not normal patina - was it near the ocean?

He lives by the ocean now, but I don't think that truck was orginally by that area.

Damage it done. Fluid Film will keep it from getting worse.
So fluid film those spots then?

Would you CLR the rest of the rig or just Griots?

The actual paint doesn't look bad, you can see your reflection in it pretty good in that one pic. I'd fluid film the rust spots.

If the paint is in decent shape CLR won't really change it much. Can try polishing with the Griots it wouldn't hurt anything

The actual paint doesn't look bad, you can see your reflection in it pretty good in that one pic. I'd fluid film the rust spots.

If the paint is in decent shape CLR won't really change it much. Can try polishing with the Griots it wouldn't hurt anything
Took the words out of my mouth.

CLR wouid take off white crust from sitting up but that truck has great paint.

Wax what you can. Clean wax off the rust. Rub oil into rust.

This truck came and went from Tilda Bogue before I started doing paint preservation but I’ve got it back and am super excited with the results so far.

I did a full CLR scrub and then washed it and now I’m rubbing layers of Penetrol on it to try to keep it from fading away.

This beige paint is some spray bomb job done a long time ago over a white truck. It’s too baked on to take off and the owner really uses this truck in the elements so instead of doing Fluid Film I decided to coat this one in Penetrol after the scrub.

I’ve only done sections before with Penetrol. This is my first full truck. Takes time since it needs to dry a day between coats.

Horizontal surfaces are pretty simple but the verticals are streaked. I’m going to have to figure out how to smooth it with subsequent coats. So far I like looks. Should really protect it nicely.

9B820728-923D-4B9D-B62A-34E0A6C7E995.jpeg

D9F9ABFE-6419-4BB3-992F-8E11EA91428B.jpeg

7B39B580-07C7-49CB-8BBB-DD9E01ABA1A9.jpeg

EB19C873-C769-4E21-B089-D1645E776244.jpeg

This truck came and went from Tilda Bogue before I started doing paint preservation but I’ve got it back and am super excited with the results so far.

I did a full CLR scrub and then washed it and now I’m rubbing layers of Penetrol on it to try to keep it from fading away.

This beige paint is some spray bomb job done a long time ago over a white truck. It’s too baked on to take off and the owner really uses this truck in the elements so instead of doing Fluid Film I decided to coat this one in Penetrol after the scrub.

I’ve only done sections before with Penetrol. This is my first full truck. Takes time since it needs to dry a day between coats.

Horizontal surfaces are pretty simple but the verticals are streaked. I’m going to have to figure out how to smooth it with subsequent coats. So far I like looks. Should really protect it nicely.

View attachment 2741101

View attachment 2741102

View attachment 2741103

View attachment 2741104
Does the Penetrol get absorbed by the paint, or is it an actual coating/layer over the paint? How does the penetrol look over time and after a number or washes, does it lose that sheen/shine? Could you wax over the penetrol? Thanks for taking the time to share your methods and materials!

Does the Penetrol get absorbed by the paint, or is it an actual coating/layer over the paint? How does the penetrol look over time and after a number or washes, does it lose that sheen/shine? Could you wax over the penetrol? Thanks for taking the time to share your methods and materials!
It goes over the paint. It gets pretty hard over time. It’s more permanent than fluid film and other oils. The only other truck I used it on was a heavily patinaed roof that I put a rack over knowing it would not be easy to reoil

I’m kinda winging it here. I’ll report back

What did you CLR scrub with?
Steel wool? Scotch brite?

It goes over the paint. It gets pretty hard over time. It’s more permanent than fluid film and other oils. The only other truck I used it on was a heavily patinaed roof that I put a rack over knowing it would not be easy to reoil

I’m kinda winging it here. I’ll report back
Can’t wait till I get to this point on my truck. I have a long way to go but I’m digging your results.

OK. I was able to add a second coat of Penetrol this am. I switched to these little microfiber pads today and only applied it in one direction versus swirls. This looks great. I think a couple more coats and it will be great.

C8ECE277-F282-4CC6-8588-BCA2C49504F7.jpeg

9EFB04F3-0104-4009-9BA4-B8A4035D59CA.jpeg

F361904C-B255-4EC9-B440-6A5B4CCEEA77.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom