Builds 12HT into a 55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

E4B3655F-63CD-457F-B919-F75A71CFA0DF.png
18EA1ACC-1683-4CC1-A5DB-5794351FE459.jpeg
Too Talls mounts are from a 61. However they are mounted on opposite sides of where they came off the 61 frame. Looks like the original LH side mount was put on to the RH side, then the original RH mount was trimmed and mounted on the LH side (see steering box). Since it’s being trimmed none of this matters, but I was thinking of trimming each mount an equal distance. My question is...does it matter if I trim only one vs. both mounts? Both keeps the motor centered and trimming one could create an offset??? @too tall , do you recall working through this decision and if so, was there any learnings from it? Thanks again. Jim

Sorry Jim, I'm just not sure what motivated me to flip the mounts side for side ? I remember playing with the mounts and the spacers while the engine was in place and what I ended up with with was what I thought was as close to center in the frame as it was in the 60 I got them from. They are actually from a 60 that had a 2h in it but I believe it is the same as a 61. I seem to remember going back and forth with the spacer blocks more than the frame mounts themselves. I did use the vacuum shifter setup for the t-case from the 61 so that might have had a bit of influence when it came to the overall fit. I see you have converted the one you are using so you may end up in a bit of a different position. I know in a 60, a 2h or 12ht looks like it is positioned at quite an angle to the actual frame. I put the engine in and out looking at different clearances a few times before I was happy with where it ended up. If you look at what I did you could surmise that trimming just the one mount and flipping them side for side would take an even amount from each side given that the longer one was from the passenger side then trimmed and fit to the drivers side? I don't have current access to the truck or even know where it sits to get some measurements for you. Sorry I could't be more help.

7F016F33-B8C4-4C7B-97AA-0A78B36B8586.jpeg
Went ahead and took .75” off each one. Heading out of town for work so will get this tacked in next weekend.

EBD6BC38-0953-41B6-B01B-E4C5055D588F.jpeg
3024756C-4519-4F00-BCF6-885B2F86D01A.jpeg
5244F2A4-7FB3-48B2-A454-A57206975976.jpeg
1BE1A8BF-7E20-47EA-95E9-A7D85E763259.jpeg
So the motor mounts are tacked in. Looks like a tight fit with the bell housing. Need to figure out the radiator situation. The 61 one does not fit. Been looking @too tall ‘s thread and the worked to get my mounts in the same location. The test is the gap to the firewall and the radiator to the fan. Unfortunately the 61 fan does not fit. Here’s the pics of my work and I’ll post some pics of Ed’s work on the next post. I’m also concerned about the bell housing. It’s only an inch or so from hitting the firewall where it turns to the trans hump. Going to pull the motor in the AM. Think I’ll drop the frame mounts another inch which will allow me to recess the bell housing a bit further back and then have more clearance for the front. Also thinking the motor is clocked a bit too much. Can correct that with the adjustment on the motor mount. feedback is welcomed.

D2C4D792-A7AB-4D3F-B155-3640BC5E0E64.jpeg
C79EB70C-C1BC-41D3-AE33-17CD2F0FACCD.jpeg
5031126D-F034-4DCA-9A73-D7C6273498A8.jpeg
D2C4D792-A7AB-4D3F-B155-3640BC5E0E64.jpeg
C79EB70C-C1BC-41D3-AE33-17CD2F0FACCD.jpeg
Here’s some shots of Ed’s build vs this one. Looks like I have the front gap similar to his. If that’s the case then have to figure out how to mount the radiator.

Jimmy, did you clock it for clearance or is that how it came out with the motor mounts you were using?

Told ya it was tight back there.

I wonder if Kurt @cruiseroutfit might have a fan clutch that's lower profile to give you more radiator/fan clearance.

9C35E68A-3E3F-45E0-83CD-EF832CCBFF12.jpeg
D499763A-C91E-4429-96CF-3C69DFF78191.png
Jimmy, did you clock it for clearance or is that how it came out with the motor mounts you were using?

Told ya it was tight back there.
Dave, I’m going off pictures from a previous thread. Too Tall did this same build many years back. I will keep moving the mounts u til I get them where I need them. The challenge in the end will be the front gap. I think @too tall put the fan on then set the 61 radiator into place. I was putting the fan in after the rad was in and that was not working. Here’s a pick of Too Talls work. Looks to have the same clearance as mine

C68A6F1C-97A6-401F-87C9-9D0690278638.jpeg
So I pulled the motor. Going to adjust the mounts a bit. Need to move the motor to the passenger side, lower it a bit (so the bellhousing is not so tight) and clock it more. Will move it back about 3/4” as well.
@too tall do you recall which radiator you used? It’s not from a 61 (outlet and fill neck are different sides). And you seem to have a lot more room. I put the fan on and then tried putting the 61 radiator in. Would not go in

FDA3CD0D-F096-4932-88DB-65951A0F9BF7.jpeg
23F5D8A1-A8BE-4CC5-806A-6A94EC9773B6.jpeg
So I pulled the motor and reworked the mounts. I pretty much maxed out how close I can get to the fire wall. I probably have 1” clearance. Reduced the passenger side mount and extended the drivers side. Motor sits a lot better in the bay. Still need to figure out the radiator. Lowered what I believe is a 40 radiator and there’s about 1” max clearance between it and the fan. The mounting flange is on the wrong side. I believe we may be able to use 55 radiator. I’ll look one up since I don’t have one to reference.

Give a shout if you need any dimensions or close up pics of the 55 radiator. I have a spare one but I think it got hit by the fan at some point and is bad.

Give a shout if you need any dimensions or close up pics of the 55 radiator. I have a spare one but I think it got hit by the fan at some point and is bad.
Hey Pat, I have another post and asked a member to provide the thickness measurement of a standard 55 radiator. If you have one readily available that would be cool. Just need to know how far it will stickbout from the core support to give me an idea of fan clearance. Also, can we still buy 55 radiators (OEM or aftermarket)? If so, where should I go?

Not sure if you can buy new or not. I suspect not but guessing. This one is all yours if you want to recore it. Don't kno what that costs tho

Not sure if you can buy new or not. I suspect not but guessing. This one is all yours if you want to recore it. Don't kno what that costs tho
Excellent Pat. Really appreciate you doing this. I’ll post up to see if anyone has a champion in their 55 or another possible aftermarket one. If we are not successful, I’ll take you up on your offer. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom