planning of 55 road trip to all 50 states (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting to plan out a road trip for summer of 25 got to get lots in order on the home aspect side to be gone for a month. But the plan is take our BaT pig we got a few months back ship from hawaii out to east coast as far north east as I can find a cruiser head willing to help out. Then drive all 48 states and take it up the alcan and to our second home in Alaska then ship it back out to Hawaii. The pig is a 70 with v8 and 5 spd, have put 4k miles on it in 3 months rebuilt front and rear axles fixed a few small things but mainly just maintenance things. So going to continue working on sorting out a few things but just keeping up on maintenance as it is a daily driver. There will be 5 of us in it and will be tight but we just did the 5 of us in a 40 from southern Oregon to Bellingham Wa and then Haines Ak through the Yukon to Denali area so a 55 will be spacious and plenty of room to spread out.

Main goal it to have each kid pick a couple places they want to see and then meet up with some cruiser people along the way if anyone wants to join for parts throughout the drive or just short stops all for it. Will be a fun journey and do it while we can. Thinking it will be a late summer fall trip as to beat bad weather up north but try to stay out of the summer crowds of people on the east. the driving side doesnt bother me figuring about two weeks to cross the states and then 5 days to go up into AK. planning a month long trip hopefully end in Alaska by end of September to be able to get last week of moose season in but thats not a huge deal just would make it a better trip. all hopes and planning at this point but looking for any of the cruiser guys out east that would be willing to possibly help out with storage of the rig when shipping time comes, and to make some connections along the way.This cruiser is not a perfection rig or pure in any way so if problems arise im happy to make it work along the way and hit all 50 states in a 55. already had it in Washington, Oregon California but going to hit all 50 in one trip is the goal.

IMG_20230908_162836.jpg

Man that’ll be a great memory for the family!

You’ll have to keep this thread updated as you get things nailed down, depending on your route North from WA I’m very close the Lynden border crossing up in BC.

:popcorn:

@Ol Yeller we will be headed up that direction. west coast i know the routes stay as far north in California as possible thru southern Oregon to Eastern oregon cross over to family in battleground, stop for a night outside longview then up to seattle as extended family is there.

Will be stopping in DC, San Antonio, Austin and southern oregon for a couple days each visiting family on the drive. I will add that with any trip of this nature itll be winged and planning can only go so far. have a start and end goal never been back east and figure we will be getting hotels or friends and family on that side of the country but once we get south and west will be more public land camping pitstops.

Last edited:
Wow, congrats on getting the whole family to go along. That is going to be a packed pig. I'm in Missouri, so if needed anywhere around there I can get you with a flatbed trailer and winch. Camping on the farm is welcome too. We're not too far from a Six Flags rip you off theme park. We're been chipping away at the lower 48, but I'm a slow driver.

@scrapdaddy onondaga state park looks more up our alley rather than six flags. Ive done 25 states before when we lived in Oregon. We did a lot of driving but never in a 55 as a roadtrip was always in motorhome or truck and trailer for motorcycle events. Plus the 5 lower canadian territories.

My oldest daughters two stops are the Library of Congress and Salem Massachusetts.

My middle daughter wants to visit our old town and friends in Oregon that's as far as they have gotten.

sounds like fun. My bucket list is to drive to 49 states. But not in one go. Trying to hit more states on the pig parties but cant seem to get out of the south west.

@Megadoomer ive never made any of the pig parties and only had atleast one pig at a time for 19 years. When do they typically take place, time of year wise.

Late June usually. This year is developing now.

@Megadoomer ill definitely be late for it then, as the plan is late summer once the nights start to cool off. on a different note If you ever make it to Hawaii your more than welcome to drive a pig around. have acouple here and its only a few hundred to ship between the islands.

@bobm thats the idea, not just salem but the east coast has more history than most the west coast that ive lived. atleast the colonization of the us wise history. the west seems to be more of a tear it down and rebuild where as the east coast is preserve and showcase. seen a lot of the west coast. Most of the trip will be stay away or skirt the big cities as much as possible other than planned stop places like DC and San Antonio, but see the country for what it has to offer. big cities have nothing to offer me, to crowded and to fast paced.
I mean the trip is already cheating with the v8, 5 spd, disc brakes and power steering. not running a/c though thats to glamours for us. have solar setup to run a small fridge, will have small portable shower with limited water, chuck box my great grandad had in his Willy's for hunting and fishing trips with everything needed to cook and eat. the hardest part is going to be clothes packing light enough to fit it all but enough to get by for a week or so between laundry mats.

Last edited:
Starting to plan out a road trip for summer of 25 got to get lots in order on the home aspect side to be gone for a month. But the plan is take our BaT pig we got a few months back ship from hawaii out to east coast as far north east as I can find a cruiser head willing to help out. Then drive all 48 states and take it up the alcan and to our second home in Alaska then ship it back out to Hawaii. The pig is a 70 with v8 and 5 spd, have put 4k miles on it in 3 months rebuilt front and rear axles fixed a few small things but mainly just maintenance things. So going to continue working on sorting out a few things but just keeping up on maintenance as it is a daily driver. There will be 5 of us in it and will be tight but we just did the 5 of us in a 40 from southern Oregon to Bellingham Wa and then Haines Ak through the Yukon to Denali area so a 55 will be spacious and plenty of room to spread out.

Main goal it to have each kid pick a couple places they want to see and then meet up with some cruiser people along the way if anyone wants to join for parts throughout the drive or just short stops all for it. Will be a fun journey and do it while we can. Thinking it will be a late summer fall trip as to beat bad weather up north but try to stay out of the summer crowds of people on the east. the driving side doesnt bother me figuring about two weeks to cross the states and then 5 days to go up into AK. planning a month long trip hopefully end in Alaska by end of September to be able to get last week of moose season in but thats not a huge deal just would make it a better trip. all hopes and planning at this point but looking for any of the cruiser guys out east that would be willing to possibly help out with storage of the rig when shipping time comes, and to make some connections along the way.This cruiser is not a perfection rig or pure in any way so if problems arise im happy to make it work along the way and hit all 50 states in a 55. already had it in Washington, Oregon California but going to hit all 50 in one trip is the goal.

View attachment 3547273
Whoa! Are you a family of pygmies?!? 5 people in a 40? Respect!

That sounds like a beautiful trip. Denali sure is a special place.

@Ol Yeller we will be headed up that direction. west coast i know the routes stay as far north in California as possible thru southern Oregon to Eastern oregon cross over to family in battleground, stop for a night outside longview then up to seattle as extended family is there.

Will be stopping in DC, San Antonio, Austin and southern oregon for a couple days each visiting family on the drive. I will add that with any trip of this nature itll be winged and planning can only go so far. have a start and end goal never been back east and figure we will be getting hotels or friends and family on that side of the country but once we get south and west will be more public land camping pitstops.
I believe there are a few Cruiser folk in Austin.

Wow, congrats on getting the whole family to go along. That is going to be a packed pig. I'm in Missouri, so if needed anywhere around there I can get you with a flatbed trailer and winch. Camping on the farm is welcome too. We're not too far from a Six Flags rip you off theme park. We're been chipping away at the lower 48, but I'm a slow driver.
You just need more maps!

@bobm thats the idea, not just salem but the east coast has more history than most the west coast that ive lived. atleast the colonization of the us wise history. the west seems to be more of a tear it down and rebuild where as the east coast is preserve and showcase. seen a lot of the west coast. Most of the trip will be stay away or skirt the big cities as much as possible other than planned stop places like DC and San Antonio, but see the country for what it has to offer. big cities have nothing to offer me, to crowded and to fast paced.
I mean the trip is already cheating with the v8, 5 spd, disc brakes and power steering. not running a/c though thats to glamours for us. have solar setup to run a small fridge, will have small portable shower with limited water, chuck box my great grandad had in his Willy's for hunting and fishing trips with everything needed to cook and eat. the hardest part is going to be clothes packing light enough to fit it all but enough to get by for a week or so between laundry mats.
Sounds like an awesome trip!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom