Builds 12HT into a 55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
F5DF4C69-D87A-4374-9E6B-89D65E46DCA4.jpeg A18AFEE2-AE5F-4661-86C2-4E62DCAE588F.jpeg D9E383C9-356F-424E-85B3-B9444186D78E.jpeg https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1973-fj55-12ht-conversion.1087721/page-3#post-11932702
Had a good recommendation from @abqcruiser so I’m bringing this thread over to this forum. I’ll save you the trouble of reading the earlier posts. I’m helping a friend @pregister with his 55 by putting in a HJ61 drivetrain. It’s a 5-speed with the push button t-case. I’ve done a few of these on the 60 series but this is the first 55 I’ve ever worked on. Parrish bought the truck with an older Chrysler v8 and an automatic trans. It’s a solid truck with some mild rust around the top. My understanding is 55’s are pretty hard to find with out it. This was a CA truck judging on the CA state stickers in the engine bay. The owner plans to have it painted back to an original color so I gave the engine bay a few fresh coats of the Cygnus. As Too Tall stayed in his build, the Cygnus seems a lot darker than what you’d think white would be. My paint guy mixed up the formula that he pulled from the archieves. I really thought it was the wrong color until i removed the VIN plate. So here’s how it looked after painting it.

A3672D08-E0B0-4D7D-9053-3C84F47302C6.jpeg
995537F3-A4AA-46B4-A8CD-5ED966E3531D.jpeg
59297190-2B7D-40F6-B142-D2FDD2C7483E.jpeg
AB80D2EB-20ED-4593-BAB7-B8D09ED20135.jpeg
I should back up. Here’s the truck as it came to me. Also, the black 61 is the donor truck.

So going forward will be looking closely at @too tall ‘s thread from 2013. Also will lean on all of you to help as I navigate this truck. Thanks and I’ll do my best to keep this updated. Also, I’m sure I’ll need to source a few good OEM/used parts. Jim.

6B59E1BD-2A86-4EC8-9BDF-D9B17B7A57E8.jpeg
E514E6EF-9028-4700-AB06-51C59ED8C901.jpeg
B27C80D1-360B-4E29-8641-64382E91C86C.jpeg
BD6D17C2-FC9F-4D41-B71E-6772A7A0A0A1.jpeg
Starting the extraction process with the donor. Man stuff in Japan sure can rust. Check out the patch work on this frame.
Also, @too tall , noticed you used the 12HT radiator vs the 55 set up. Curious how you mounted it to the core support. Did you position it, mark and drill or do something else? Thanks. Jim

Edward Scissorhands at work. Nice work Jimmy!

IMG_1839.jpg
View attachment 1802317 View attachment 1802318 View attachment 1802320 View attachment 1802323 Starting the extraction process with the donor. Man stuff in Japan sure can rust. Check out the patch work on this frame.
Also, @too tall , noticed you used the 12HT radiator vs the 55 set up. Curious how you mounted it to the core support. Did you position it, mark and drill or do something else? Thanks. Jim
I was trying to remember which radiator I used, I found this picture. It looks like the 55 radiator to me. IIRC 60 series radiators have a rubber mount on either side.

Jimmy,
Keep an eye out on the back firewall area. It gets tight back there. The engine bay is smaller than the 60/62 that you're used to.

What are you doing for engine mounts?

Jimmy,
Keep an eye out on the back firewall area. It gets tight back there. The engine bay is smaller than the 60/62 that you're used to.

What are you doing for engine mounts?
Good call out. I’m trying to figure out the radiator situation and how it will mount. This and the firewall gap will be the most important two measurements. I planned to use the motor mounts from the 61 frame unless someone knows they don’t fit. I’ve used them on the 60 transplants. Worst case I’ll modify them or just make my own. I appreciate the feedback David as I want to understand all the pitfalls with the 55. Thanks again.

Good call out. I’m trying to figure out the radiator situation and how it will mount. This and the firewall gap will be the most important two measurements. I planned to use the motor mounts from the 61 frame unless someone knows they don’t fit. I’ve used them on the 60 transplants. Worst case I’ll modify them or just make my own. I appreciate the feedback David as I want to understand all the pitfalls with the 55. Thanks again.
And I’m trying to figure out which radiator to use and how to address the shroud. Looks like Too Talls does not have it.

So I did some measuring from the firewall to the inside edge of the core support and the 55 is about 2” shorter than a 61. I then measured the distance between the front leading edge of the fan to the radiator and that’s close to 3”. So from looking at the @too tall above pic, I’m guessing that’s where the distance was absorbed. Hard to tell but it looks like it’s less than 3” between the fan and radiator. Any thoughts??? Thanks. Jim

When I placed the engine, I did it according to where it fit best. I didn't use any reference from a 60 series as I did not have one with a 12ht in it to use as a guide. I did use a set of mounts from a 2h as well as the crossmember. They had to be narrowed a bit to compensate for the narrower frame of the 55. The crossmember had to be spaced approximately 1/2" below where it mounted on the 60 frame to get proper clearance above the h55 when it was all in its final position. IIRC there wasn't a lot of other placement options other than where it ended up, making sure there was clearance around all of the things that couldn't be moved.

When I placed the engine, I did it according to where it fit best. I didn't use any reference from a 60 series as I did not have one with a 12ht in it to use as a guide. I did use a set of mounts from a 2h as well as the crossmember. They had to be narrowed a bit to compensate for the narrower frame of the 55. The crossmember had to be spaced approximately 1/2" below where it mounted on the 60 frame to get proper clearance above the h55 when it was all in its final position. IIRC there wasn't a lot of other placement options other than where it ended up, making sure there was clearance around all of the things that couldn't be moved.
I definitely get how you approached this. after studying it some more I'll basically baseline the position using the clearance between the back of the motor and the fire wall. to your point everything else will (should) fall into place from there.

Jimmy, are you going to use a piggy stock radiator? The fan shroud might have to be custom. I made one for my FJ60 and it wasn't all that bad of a job.

20180909_200002.jpg
20180908_105158.jpg

So I’m working on the T-Case. Doing a rebuild and converting to a mechanical case. Dam cheap bits from Home Depot broke off in the case. Have a spare so did not panic. Was more pissed as this could have been a big hassle. Regardless, was able to break it flush and punch it through to the inside. Taking my time on the case. Picked up the conversion kit from cruiser outfitters. Has everything except the dang 15mm tap. Try finding one of those in a store/supply house? Ended up doing the 14MM as others have done here on MUd. Work has been real busy so it’s cutting into my free time as I have to do honey do’s before I hit the barn :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom