Tough Dog vs Slinky Coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MTKID

Mostly Stock
Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
I am currently running the 860 (220#) with a 1" spacer and feel it's a little too firm for everyday driving and too soft/sagging too much when loaded for trips with the RTT.

I was hoping to get some help deciding between the Tough Dog Medium (up to 660# load range w/ 170/250#, 23.23"-22.84") and the Slinky Medium (Rear AC7501 Approx 21"~10.5 turns~160/270#)

I've decided to run the Tough Dog 9-way adjustable rear shock so I am leaning toward the Tough Dog springs, but wasn't sure if there was something I was overlooking about the Slinky's.

Happy to hear the vendor's opinions too.

I can't yet speak from experience, but I will be running a stage 4 slinky setup in one of my 80's and a Tourflex / TD shocks setup in my other 80. I know that the slinky is designed to perform best with the slinky spec'd ICON shocks, and I assume the same would hold true for the TD/Tourflex coils. If you are thinking slinky springs, i would be looking at their shocks too...if you want the TD shocks, then I would be leaning towards the Tourflex.

I doubt you are going to get any quantifiable opinions on this. Unless you are able to compare two identical rigs side by side with the suspensions being the only difference. I will say with complete confidence that you will get exceptional customer service from Trail Tailor.

I will say with complete confidence that you will get exceptional customer service from Trail Tailor.

I experienced this first hand today. Sent Jason an email (on a Saturday!) with a few detailed questions regarding the suspension on both my 80 and 100. Within 20-30 minutes of sending the email, he sent me a very thorough response and I was confident with the set up I chose. He even offered to no charge shipping on a backordered item so I could get most of my order sent out this week. That was truly impressive service. With that being said, I will be running the Tough Dog 45mm adjustables (with Slee 4" coils) on my 80, and the 53mm front/45mm adjustable rear on my 100. I think for the price, they are a good "middle ground" between OME and some of the real high end (but expensive and high maintenance) Slee, King, Icon etc shocks. Cant wait to see how they do on both the 80 and 100 and how they compare to the well worn OMEs they are replacing.

I doubt you are going to get any quantifiable opinions on this. Unless you are able to compare two identical rigs side by side with the suspensions being the only difference.

Makes sense. Probably splitting hairs anyway. I'll keep things from the same manufacturer and vendor Jason, and give it a whirl.

Thanks for the responses.

I am really happy with my trail tailor setup, tough dog shocks and tourflex springs. Jason has been great to work with. I personally was turned off on the slinky setups due to the higher pricing and trouble with past deliveries.

I just replaced my OME J springs with the Tourflex 3" kit. The ride is greatly improved. Load handling is better with the dual rate springs, without compromising ride quality. I considered Slinky, because people have had great reviews on their kits, but am glad to have gone with the Tourflex for the quality of the components, and quite a bit less money. @reevesci 's service is top notch as well. My kit arrived the day after I ordered it.

This thread needs pics...

IMG_20180222_191611_521.jpg

I’ve never owned slinky/ICON stuff but I have almost 26k miles on my Tough Dog springs and shocks. AFAIK I was the first to buy Tough Dog in the US recently. Jason told me he was looking at becoming a vendor for them and said they were good. I trust him and bought them based on his recommendation. And, as usual, he was right. I’m very pleased.

I’ll be buying another setup for my 92s...

I just replaced my OME J springs with the Tourflex 3" kit. The ride is greatly improved. Load handling is better with the dual rate springs, without compromising ride quality. I considered Slinky, because people have had great reviews on their kits, but am glad to have gone with the Tourflex for the quality of the components, and quite a bit less money. @reevesci 's service is top notch as well. My kit arrived the day after I ordered it.

This thread needs pics...

View attachment 1641239
How about some pics that show old and new height and stance in daylight?

There are quite a few pics over in Trail Tailors vendor section from several different rigs.
I’m am particularly interested in pics of rigs running 37’s as I do.

I agree with @myryanangel that it’s typically best to use components that are designed to work together rather than a mix and match of parts. Sounds like the decision has been made already, and I’ll echo that Jason’s customer service is excellent! He’ll take good care of you before and after purchase.

Does TD make progressive flexi coils like Dobinson's?
Jason has spec'd his Tourflex springs for dual rate in two weight ranges. They won't have the same amount of droop as the slinky or dobinson, but they do have very good flex...take a look ay @mervo's flexing pics. The tourflex are primarily designed for touring/cruising comfortably with heavy loaded rigs.

Does TD make progressive flexi coils like Dobinson's?

The tough dog coils are a single thickness dual rate design just like the Dobinson's Flexi coil. The tour flex on the other hand are a tapered wire dual rate.

We went from having one choice to having several choices in a short time. It’s beginning to look like new comers can also use their favorite color as criteria for their decision making process. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom