HVAC stinks like dog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thoroughly cleaned the carpet. It only smells when the hvac is on. It doesn’t matter if it’s foot, vent, defrost. I might run the carpet extractor again though.
All jokes aside would try the carpet cleaner again. How long have you had the 80?

All jokes aside would try the carpet cleaner again. How long have you had the 80?
It was willed to me last month. It was pretty neglected for the last 3-5 years. I’ll run it again. The smell is pretty bad. If it’s not remedied, I might just leave the heater off, and get the girls big blankets for keep warm.

If carpet gets wet and doesn't dry out within a day or two, the underlay will stink like wet dog.
If AC drain is blocked, you can have condensate drip on the carpet below the heaterbox.

Or, if it's been out in the rain, windscreen may be leaking, or sunroof drains may be leaking.

There's foaming cleaners you can spray into the heaterbox, then wash out with a hose

Pulling the blower/motor is a 10 minute job and might help cleaning that out. Gives access to that intake tube up under the cowl too.

Pulling the blower/motor is a 10 minute job and might help cleaning that out. Gives access to that intake tube up under the cowl too.
Thank you! I definitely will get to that one.
If carpet gets wet and doesn't dry out within a day or two, the underlay will stink like wet dog.
If AC drain is blocked, you can have condensate drip on the carpet below the heaterbox.

Or, if it's been out in the rain, windscreen may be leaking, or sunroof drains may be leaking.

There's foaming cleaners you can spray into the heaterbox, then wash out with a hose
I did lift an edge of the carpet up under driver side sash. It’s pretty bad under there. Loose rust…. Padding pretty well destroyed. I’m thinking at some point carpet will come out, and a thorough cleaning will take place.

Thank you for all the ideas, advice, and suggestions.

Plenty of information on the internet about cleaning AC condensers. Here's a kit from Toyota but there are lots of brands out there. Unless a mouse died in your AC intake (which is possible), most of the smell from the AC will come from the condenser coils.

Amazon product ASIN B07XC93LK9
After reading the post about the carpet issue, I would pull the entire carpet, powerwash it outside the 80, and then reinstall after it's dry. It isn't as big a job as it appears to remove it. You basically just need to pull the seats and sills.

Plenty of information on the internet about cleaning AC condensers. Here's a kit from Toyota but there are lots of brands out there. Unless a mouse died in your AC intake (which is possible), most of the smell from the AC will come from the condenser coils.

Amazon product ASIN B07XC93LK9
After reading the post about the carpet issue, I would pull the entire carpet, powerwash it outside the 80, and then reinstall after it's dry. It isn't as big a job as it appears to remove it. You basically just need to pull the seats and sills.

I’ll check it out. Yep, after seeing that floor last night I knew the carpet was coming out. My wife is going to be thrilled I’m continuing to work on the LC.

Land Cruiser widows unite! Keep going, you will eventually wear her down.

Lots of curated responses that are spot on. I had constant issues with my sunroof drains, that caused floor pan issues. Finally pulled the hose from the side panel and ran it through the hole in the floor board. Funk was growing in the rocker panel that clogged up the holes in the pinch welds.

Your issue does seem to be condenser and drain related. Good luck working through this hurdle and please report back with your results. I will keep my armchair quarterback status active in the meantime.

I had that problem once. Took me awhile to figure it out...
Screenshot_20231011-173956.jpg

Have you looked in the back, yet?

Well, pretty sure I figured it out…. Insane. Full, thick layer of dirt and dog hair in the evaporator. I vacuumed what I could, then, blew with 90psi, then washed it with a hose and nozzle. Also, the ac condensate tube is long gone. This B has been dripping condensate into the cabin for god knows how long. I’ll pick up some 1/2” tubing at ace tomorrow for a new line.

What a mess! I just pressure washed my garage a few days ago, when I broom’d the water from the floor out, it was damn near black. What do you know, it’s 11pm… I only came out to put the new bushings in the sway bar.

IMG_1519.jpeg

IMG_1518.jpeg

Last edited:
Mother of god.

Look up BG FRIGI CLEAN.

That stuff works wonders. A few people on the board used it.

I bought mine from Amazon but they sent me the wrong adapter. Looked up this distributor locally and he sent me everything on the house.
View attachment 3454600
I have this documented in my 94 Adventure thread somewhere but it was for my other 97 I sold.

Here it is:
Builds - 94 FZJ80 - Let the Adventure Ensue - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/94-fzj80-let-the-adventure-ensue.1240631/post-14684384
I bought this stuff from Toyota. It should be here in a few days. Which is a better product, or all they all pretty much the same? I’m not set on using the stuff I bought.

IMG_1521.png

Last edited:

I did this with both of my ‘80s. Not that hard to do, but you will need to recharge the AC . Totally worth the time and effort, IMHO.

I would also suggest using an ozone generator once you clean and replace the tube. I have used one for a while on "weird" smells in various vehicles. Some take one treatment while others have taken two or three. *If you do this please follow the directions:)

Well, pretty sure I figured it out…. Insane. Full, thick layer of dirt and dog hair in the evaporator. I vacuumed what I could, then, blew with 90psi, then washed it with a hose and nozzle. Also, the ac condensate tube is long gone. This B has been dripping condensate into the cabin for god knows how long. I’ll pick up some 1/2” tubing at ace tomorrow for a new line.

What a mess! I just pressure washed my garage a few days ago, when I broom’d the water from the floor out, it was damn near black. What do you know, it’s 11pm… I only came out to put the new bushings in the sway bar.

View attachment 3454521

View attachment 3454522
Ewww

I did this with both of my ‘80s. Not that hard to do, but you will need to recharge the AC . Totally worth the time and effort, IMHO.
Hell yeah!! This is happening. I cleaned it, but only as good as I could from the opening. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom