FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes,right now it does...BUT...there is a possibility that I will need to be out of the area on and around that date.

Unfortunately I won't know one way or the other for awhile. However, the odds are in our favor, I know I am able make it on the 18th with Mark and will do all I can to be available on the 28th for Mono Lake.

John, my Darwin plans are firmed up. I should hit Olancha between 9:30-10am Wednesday. PM me your ph # so I can call you if there's a problem.

John, my Darwin plans are firmed up. I should hit Olancha between 9:30-10am Wednesday. PM me your ph # so I can call you if there's a problem.

Sounds good. PM on the way.

So Olancha, Wednesday 10/18 between 9:30-10am. How about we meet at the only cafe in town on the west side of 395. Not sure of the name but am sure you are familiar with it.

Awesome timing! I'd love to cruise along with you, The lower section of old route 66 trail is closed , but the top loop is still well worth the effort. Let me know the time and place and I will be there. My family and I live on the mesa south of Santa Fe, I love that trail. looking forward to meeting you both.
I'd heard the lower part of the old route was closed, thanks for confirming. I found this on the Internet:

Driving Directions: La Bajada Mesa is located as the crow flies approximately 18 miles from downtown Santa Fe, NM. From the intersection of Cerrillos Road and Paseo de Peralta in downtown Santa Fe, proceed five 5 miles southwest on Cerrillos to Airport Road and turn right. Take Airport Road toward the Santa Fe Airport about 3.1 miles to where it turns into County Road 56. Continue 3.3 miles on County Road 56 to County Road 56C and take a hard right turn, heading up the slope to the west. Stay on County Road 56C, which will loop around to the left and turn into Forest Road 24. Proceed on Forest Road 24 for about 7 miles to the edge of the escarpment, on Santa Fe National Forest land.

Without being able to drive down and through to Bernalillo it would probably make for too long of a day because of the out and back from Santa Fe. We might have to head up into the Jemez and over to Cuba, or maybe into the mountains and down FR 289 to Cochiti and Bernalillo.

The Ranch House. No problem meeting there, but I am having breakfast with a friend in Mohave, and lunch with the honorary mayor of Darwin, so I wouldn't be up for more than a drink at the Ranch House.

It is a nicer backdrop for photo-ops, for sure.

Did you ever read my story "Arriving in Olancha"?

That would work, how long will you be up there? We always enjoy the drive up to that area for a hike.

The Ranch House. No problem meeting there, but I am having breakfast with a friend in Mohave, and lunch with the honorary mayor of Darwin, so I wouldn't be up for more than a drink at the Ranch House.

It is a nicer backdrop for photo-ops, for sure.

Did you ever read my story "Arriving in Olancha"?

Mark, I 'might' have read your story ''Arriving in Olancha", was it in Toyota Trails many moons ago? Either way, is there any chance you could bring along some 'copy' of your story? I sometimes have the memory of a strobe light, so I would enjoy reading it again.

Mark, I 'might' have read your story ''Arriving in Olancha", was it in Toyota Trails many moons ago? Either way, is there any chance you could bring along some 'copy' of your story? I sometimes have the memory of a strobe light, so I would enjoy reading it again.
It's on Mark's site, Item 8. under Collected Stories, I read it not too long ago and enjoyed it.

It's on Mark's site, Item 8. under Collected Stories, I read it not too long ago and enjoyed it.

Ah yes, maybe that's where I read it...many moons ago. Thanks.

That would work, how long will you be up there? We always enjoy the drive up to that area for a hike.
Heading there now, we should be there by noon. We could meet on 289 where it intersects with 36. Does this work for you?

Also, I was the ONLY one in the entire state that expressed any interest in participating. Even after asking in clubhouse threads twice! If someone can give me advice on herding cats or getting interest in a project, I will be more than happy to listen.

I understand your frustration - for as many 40s there are in Arizona, there sure weren't a whole lot to participate in this cross-country relay - it took me almost a month to find a hand-over to get the Baton further west

oh well :meh:

hand-over was accomplished nonetheless: FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? - scroll to posts #958/959

FB_IMG_1504538140884.jpg

Last edited:
20 stickers for the brown toolbox are being mailed to @REZARF this afternoon. I just remembered I had already sent 10 additional stickers for the red toolbox to @DSRTRDR a while back.

and those all were added to the red toolbox baton :cheers:

@John McVicker we are hoping to head to Mono Lake on 10/28 - does that date work for you?

@ginmtb I'm now firm on meeting you at Mono Lake on 10/28. Meet up at the FS Visitor Center, on 395 @ the north end of Lee Vining?

Thanks, John

@ginmtb I'm now firm on meeting you at Mono Lake on 10/28. Meet up at the FS Visitor Center, on 395 @ the north end of Lee Vining?

Thanks, John

@John McVicker i just found out we need to push out the trip to the following weekend due to the fires in Sonoma County as one guy has been impacted by it and is helping with the relief efforts on 10/28-29. Does 11/4 work for you? Sorry for the change!

@John McVicker i just found out we need to push out the trip to the following weekend due to the fires in Sonoma County as one guy has been impacted by it and is helping with the relief efforts on 10/28-29. Does 11/4 work for you? Sorry for the change!

Sure, 11/4 will work.

Please keep me updated...and time/place to meet up.

Sure, 11/4 will work.

Please keep me updated...and time/place to meet up.

Is that the visitor center at 1 Visitor Center Drive in Lee vining? If so that works, should make for a nice photo op hand off.

We’ll let you know on time as it is a pretty long haul and I think we will try to get some iconic shots in Yosemite on the way to Mono Lake. Is there a good or bad time frame for you?

The next briefcase hand-off will be this weekend, to @Reznugget in Chinle, AZ. My wife and I are looking forward to three days of exploring the surrounding area. I've flown over the area many, many times over the past 33 years, but I've never driven or hiked in the area.

Yes, on the Visitor Center location...it sits back from the hiway but you can't miss it. As far as time goes no problem, just let me know what works for you guys and we will make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom