FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I understand your frustration - for as many 40s there are in Arizona, there sure weren't a whole lot to participate in this cross-country relay - it took me almost a month to find a hand-over to get the Baton further west

oh well :meh:

View attachment 1557272

I would have loved to participate, but my engine bay is empty awaiting a new engine. Hopefully we'll do this again.

I would have loved to participate, but my engine bay is empty awaiting a new engine. Hopefully we'll do this again.
The briefcase will be arriving in Chinle, AZ the day after tomorrow, from there it'll be heading west towards Las Vegas maybe via @kblomquist in Kanab, UT. Keep checking this thread, you might still have a chance later this year.

IMG_7367.JPG
IMG_7357.JPG
Hey there 4Cruisers, sorry we missed you in the Jemez. We lost cell reception and couldn't communicate. We cruised to the dome trail, then hiked to the top of the lookout and checked out the fire tower. Abandoned and vandalized! It's sad some people don't have respect for others property. Our 2 boys thought it was creepy AND cool! Awesome views and sweet drive in our much loved 83' resto-mod fj40 shorty (TRACKS). I would like to convoy with you tomorrow ,what route are you taking to Chinle? Where can I meet you?

Gabriel

I haven't been to St.Peter's Dome in ages. The last time I was in the area my youngest son and I hiked down past Boundary Peak into Capulin Canyon, then down to Painted Cave, definitely worth the hike.

We'll be leaving Los Alamos and taking NM 4 up to La Cueva, then NM 126 to Cuba. From there past Torreon and Crownpoint to Ya-Ta-Hey, then through Window Rock, Ft. Defiance, and Sawmill to Chinle. We'll probably be leaving mid-morning so we can get to Chinle by dark. A good part of Navajo Route 7 between Sawmill and Chinle is an unmaintained dirt road, but hey, that's the point of taking the FJ40. We'd be glad to have you join us for part of the trip. PM me your contact info so we can give you a better idea of the time tomorrow morning.

Our tool chest is moving along! Met Mark @65swb45 at the Ranch House Cafe in Olancha, Ca. (Pop. less than 100) on Wednesday 10/18. Great food and service, if you're ever on that part of 395 in California be sure to stop in.

See that Porsche I'm parked next to? Out in the middle of nowhere Mark ran into a friend of his. The friend wasn't actually there at the time, but he had left his Porsche there for a while...I think Mark was planning on meeting up with him later in the day...small world.

Next journey will be to Mono Lake in early November to meet up with @ginmtb.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Our tool chest is moving along! Met Mark @65swb45 at the Ranch House Cafe in Olancha, Ca. (Pop. less than 100) on Wednesday 10/18. Great food and service, if you're ever on that part of 395 in California be sure to stop in.

See that Porsche I'm parked next to? Out in the middle of nowhere Mark ran into a friend of his. The friend wasn't actually there at the time, but he had left his Porsche there for a while...I think Mark was planning on meeting up with him latter in the day...small world.

Next journey will be to Mono Lake in early November to meet up with @ginmtb in early November.

View attachment 1559571

View attachment 1559573

Actually, I met up with his wife while he was out of town.

What a blast ! My son and I are back home on the mesa just north of the Ortiz mountains in Santa Fe county N.M., flew back at freeway speeds in 5th gear after a great hand off with 4Cruisers and Reznugget and crew after a very enjoyable weekend @ Canyon De Chelly AZ. Thank you tremendously sggoat and hecrod for such a great idea, the inspiration to enjoy our land cruisers and meet wonderful people while overland travelling! And thank you 4Cruisers for extending the invitation, it really means a great deal to my son and I. Memories to last a life time are being made and I feel blessed to be a part of something so Cool! Seize the day people!

Last edited:
What a blast ! My son and I are back home on the mesa just south of the Ortiz mountains in Santa Fe county N.M., flew back at freeway speeds in 5th gear after a great hand off with 4Cruisers and Reznugget and crew after a very enjoyable weekend @ Canyon De Chelly AZ. Thank you tremendously hecrod for such a great idea, the inspiration to enjoy our land cruisers and meet wonderful people while overland travelling! And thank you 4Cruisers for extending the invitation, it really means a great deal to my son and I. Memories to last a life time are being made and I feel blessed to be a part of something so Cool! Seize the day people!
Glad to hear you got home safely. It was a blast indeed. Heading back home in the morning, don't yet know what route we'll take.

Handoff with @mesa man and @4Cruisers was a great weekend! They even brought me a replacement clutch slave and helped me get things running quick that morning so I could join the party! Really great to meet some new cruiser dudes in the area and looking forward to another camp/hike trip with this crew again! I'll post a couple more pics from our hikes in another post: I think John probably got the best ones, but we'll have to wait for him to get home to see those!

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

Handoff with @mesa man and @4Cruisers was a great weekend! They even brought me a replacement clutch slave and helped me get things running quick that morning so I could join the party! Really great to meet some new cruiser dudes in the area and looking forward to another camp/hike trip with this crew again! I'll post a couple more pics from our hikes in another post: I think John probably got the best ones, but we'll have to wait for him to get home to see those!

View attachment 1560110

View attachment 1560111

View attachment 1560112

View attachment 1560113
Got home just before 10:00 p.m. Stopped at a well-known landmark along the way, I've passed by it dozens and dozens of times over the years but never drove over to see it up close. Impressive to say the least. Pretty sure @Reznugget knows of what I speak. Will include a photo in the Travelogue thread to break the suspense.

I think I put over 800 miles on the '76 FJ40 on this trip. It did great, with no mechanical issues at all. Says a lot for Toyota engineering. Went over 66,000 miles on the odometer somewhere along the way between Tsaile and Chinle after our fantastic hike on Saturday. And it's hard to beat @Reznugget's photos.

Had a great time, especially meeting up with and cruising around with @Reznugget and @mesa man.

Planning to drive the fj40 west from N.M. to Death valley in late november early Dec. to explore and camp for a few weeks, anyone want to meetup and do some wheeling? where will the briefcase be? Want to convoy? Plan on wheeling Titus Canyon, Lippincott Pass ,Eureka Dunes, just to name a few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom