Bumps on my 78’s rear tub/fenders? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like two leprechauns pissing on the windshield but it works! :D
washer-works.jpg

Are you still using the stock steel pipe through the windshield, or did you run a hose around it? My windshield pipe rusted-up after 10 or 15 years and I ran a vinyl hose around it. The vinyl hose does a much better job than the rusted pipe. :)

Like two leprechauns pissing on the windshield but it works! :D

Are you still using the stock steel pipe through the windshield, or did you run a hose around it? My windshield pipe rusted-up after 10 or 15 years and I ran a vinyl hose around it. The vinyl hose does a much better job than the rusted pipe. :)

I'm pretty sure that part of the system is still all original. The PO added that black pump but everything up the wall looks original. I blew through the line first and didn't seem to get a lot of resistance, but there aren't many places I haven't found rust so I'm sure if it's a steel pipe there's some rust in it. Lots of water coming out but it doesn't seem to be under much pressure. I've got what I guess is the "dummy" nozzle on the hood.

Looks like my OME suspension is settling in the back faster than the front. Driving much better overall but I guess I could just be getting more accustom to driving it. Maybe it needs a fat guy on the front bumper? Not very scientific but...
settle-check.jpg
settle-check2.jpg

or you could install longer shackles in the rear

Put a winch on it :D or take the hardtop off ;) ... Looks great BTW keep it up

Sent from outer space via my mind

I like to wait until just after Pismo (this weekend) for teardown. Then again I have two, so mall-wheeling is almost always an option. I've got a volunteer gig up at Henry Coe SP that requires a 4x4 too.

Years ago, backpacking at Henry Coe, I saw a really big mountain lion jump the trail behind us. Volunteering seems like a very creative way to get the Rangers to let you drive your 40 around the park! :D

More prep for the fenders, aprons and bib. Fixed small (growing?) cracks in each fender, seems related to pressure on the steps.
crack1.jpg
crack2.jpg
crack3.jpg

The painting experiment continues, a few pieces at at time. Fenders, bib and aprons. Had to redo the bib and aprons because of a few light spots along with a few bad runs. Touched up any exposed steel with more sealer/epoxy before another top coat. It's really easy to "spot" small exposed (sand-through) areas with this EP - it blends well, with my small gun anyway.

Still hard to get that PPG Omni to cover that well but it continues to lay down nice. On the fenders did a light color sand (wet) - not deep enough to remove orange peel but enough to remove any random dust specks, etc. Then hit it with the polisher/cutting pad and some 3M which gives kind of a controlled satin look to the paint. Going to play around with the polisher a bit down the road. :p

Anyone know of a source for wire harness tie-downs that fit those stock holes (around .350" dia.) in the fenders?
more-paint1.jpg
more-paint2.jpg
more-paint3.jpg
more-paint4.jpg

Zip-ties can also be used. Start w/ the zip-ty under the fender, stick the tail all the way up through the hole, wrap around the wire and shove the tail back down through the hole. Put tail through latch and snug it up. Now wire is wrapped on top of fender, bulky latch section is underneath fender.

Harness clamps

Hi Gus,

Just ordered some from Beno.

90463-10521 harness clamp 95mm $0.99

90463-10012 harness clamp 110mm $2.09

90463-10010 harness clamp 125mm $1.60

Got bored this weekend. Had this rattle in the 1980 FJ40 snowplow. Turns out it was a loose nut on top of the gas tank:) ------------------me

Should be in HMB after the 13th Dec will call or em you once we are there.

Thanks jb

PS I'm going through CDFJS so will want to take a ride in yours to get the mojo back.
FJ40 body lift 1.jpg
FJ40 body lift 2.jpg

Edit: Found 'em at SOR.
Thanks Ed. Don't see a picture at SOR - think these are something like the white stock clip?

Zip-ties can also be used. Start w/ the zip-ty under the fender, stick the tail all the way up through the hole, wrap around the wire and shove the tail back down through the hole. Put tail through latch and snug it up. Now wire is wrapped on top of fender, bulky latch section is underneath fender.
Cool idea Jim!

Hi Gus,
Just ordered some from Beno...
Should be in HMB after the 13th Dec will call or em you once we are there.
Thanks JB. Your shop is bigger than my garage :D. Looks like you need some rust repair on the 80.
Had lunch in HMB today with family - look forward to a visit :)

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to document your efforts - def inspiring. Have a 77 with all the same issues. Subscribed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom