Clarification about factory PS on 78’ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about 50% into a 60 series conversion and realize I’m going to tank the value of the truck (1978 US-spec) if I keep going.

I found an epic deal on a full factory PS set up. I’ll probably use the sag pump I already have because I have an untapped 78’ 2F and I’m anxious to sell the truck. It’s honestly too nice for what I want to do so I’d rather have the cash out to work on an older rig and not destroy a beauty.

My question(s)

Other than shortening the stock shaft about 1.5” does anything else on the truck need to change or is this basically plug and play? Do I need to change the pedestal? What I’m buying comes w the drag link and what looks like to be a different center arm.

Cheers,

Sawyer

A 'full factory PS setup' will be from a '79-'83 truck, not a '78, where PS was not yet an option. If it's a true FJ40 PS box, it should directly bolt to the pedestal. The center arm should be the same, as should the drag link. You will need to compare the new PS parts to the old FJ40 parts (if you still have them) and see if there are significant differences. Don't overthink this - my '78 has a minitruck box, and I changed only the pedestal (custom-made), the box, and the pitman arm (not absolutely necessary). All the rest of the manuals steering parts, and the column, remain.

I would not do anything with the steering shaft length until you bolt it all up and see where the box and shaft land (length-wise). You might get away with slightly spacing the steering column off the floor. If you're going to have custom mounts to hold a Saginaw pump, why not use custom mounts and use a Toyota pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom