Bumps on my 78’s rear tub/fenders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve seen rows of what look like rivets or spot welds on the hardtops of FJ40s high above the rear wheels and they seem like a factory thing. Lower, on the tub, my 78 has “dimples” above the rear wheels on both sides in the area that looks like the tub to rear wheel cover join. I’ve seen another one (see green photos) that has dimples on one side and the other side is clean and straight. Mine has dimples on both sides. Is this corrosion happening at the inside join and a sign of cancer inside or is it something else? Almost seems like the sheet metal has been moved around causing the mounts to show? Thanks
brn_bad.jpg
grn_bad.jpg
grn_good.jpg

Last edited:
Factory spot welds. The side without them has been repaired and repainted.

But I haven't seen factory spotwelds as "deep" or as "ugly" as those in the first 2 photos before. (Especially the first one.)

Perhaps they aren't "factory spotwelds" or perhaps rust is indeed causing the exterior panels to bulge away from the spotwelds.

Normally a sign of running 10.5 tires without a lift...they'll bulge the fender wells like that when at full compression the tire rubs.

Normally a sign of running 10.5 tires without a lift...they'll bulge the fender wells like that when at full compression the tire rubs.
I thought about that too - shouldn't I see some tire marks/rubbing on the inside fender area? I'll take a closer look when I get home.

Both tire to fenderwell contact/distortion and rust bulges - bending the tubs accellerates the rust as it allows more junk to get in the seams.

I thought about that too - shouldn't I see some tire marks/rubbing on the inside fender area? I'll take a closer look when I get home.

It's mild, not gouging. You'll probably see the lip at the top of the fenderwell opening turned under. Continues over time as previously mentioned. I actually had a customer ask me one time if I had one of the tubs with the flared quarters!

Appropriate fix?

Both tire to fenderwell contact/distortion and rust bulges - bending the tubs accellerates the rust as it allows more junk to get in the seams.

This seems to be right on the money. Hard to see, but check out this photo - fender looks like it has a pushed out radius.

Looked inside and there is rust the length of the seam - not yet breaking through.

Anyone know if there's a "standard" process/procedure to repair these areas?

Thanks
bulge.jpg

I'm no body man, but you're talking about separating those two panels and grinding out the rust. :crybaby: I'm sure you'd want to do it with the tub on a rotisserie. :eek: It would be a really nice tub once it was done.

Thanks

Several folks make patch panels that allow for the work to be done on the frame. The panels I've seen installed require you to cut below the top of the tub lip a few inches - running from behind the door seam to rear door opening. From what I've been told and the final product completed - it's not too difficult.

I won't comment on which vendors sell and if their products are worthy - will let someone else chime in to that effect.

Alternatively - My parents bought me a 79 FJ 40 as a wedding present (back in the 90's - cool huh!) and my Pop had a body shop friend replace the rear fenders in the same way above but they made the replacement skins and bent the sheet right on the truck. Turned out pretty decent - and still kick myself to this day for selling that one (daily driver with AC all original).

Best of luck.

Anything can be repaired providing you have the means or the know how!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom