Builds Land Crusher Build Thread - V2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How are your heated seats fairing? This is my Thanksgiving project this year and I haven’t ordered the heating elements yet.

So far so good, used them last night :)

E1EC48DD-0ED3-4431-ABD0-02E6D2130582.jpeg
70DDCE14-47B7-4900-A0A0-24A073226ED6.jpeg
C6A92E8B-6022-4FCD-B7DB-CC2BA0A64540.jpeg
F1A63467-9081-45A2-A6F6-33BE37154F94.jpeg

80 looking fn mint boi

Muchas Gracias sir... still more to do. We missed you out there this weekend, you would have had a good time. We got to see @orikawa new panels he is making for the 60's.

Got about 3 hours worth of highway miles on her this weekend and I can definitely feel the 1.3* of caster... need to get this sorted out next.

To Do List after this weekend's shake down:
- Rebuild my power steering pump (and box?).. i need to dig into this, the pump was whining quite a bit this weekend
- Install new, longer, gear box breathers... the added droop pulls these off
- Install the the land take 4* caster plates
- Have a double cardan drive shaft made
- Install the redline cruisers front axle relocation brackets
- Install the @eimkeith panhard correction
- correct the AZ pinstriping :flipoff2:

You may not need the double cardan shaft after doing these:
I may be right on the edge... will see if it vibes after, but they will increase that angle and I suspect the small vibe i feel now will get worse...

But I shall report back

Well, it was one of those days where things don't go quite as planned... Intended to remove the 2.5" Land Tank caster plates and install the 4" plates, but it turns out it's not a simple swap without welding the slot from the 2.5" plates closed so that you can correctly drill through the new plates pilot hole and across the gap to the other plate. The edge of the old slot is right on center where the new col goes. Not a terribly difficult thing to do, but enough to get me to reconsider and go a different route....

- Those of you who know me, know I am an opinionated ass and I may be swallowing my pride and ordering some arms from those who shall not be named.

- The other option is to use the Slee 4" caster plates, that require a tad bit of trimming on the forward bottom edge of the plates and the redline cruiser axle relocation mounts I planned to use originally.

We shall see after I make some phone calls....
1669767144855.png

Mocked up:
1669767156842.png

These bushings are toast:
1669767176547.png

My buddy made this for me:
1669767188247.png

Well, it was one of those days where things don't go quite as planned... Intended to remove the 2.5" Land Tank caster plates and install the 4" plates, but it turns out it's not a simple swap without welding the slot from the 2.5" plates closed so that you can correctly drill through the new plates pilot hole and across the gap to the other plate. The edge of the old slot is right on center where the new col goes. Not a terribly difficult thing to do, but enough to get me to reconsider and go a different route....

- Those of you who know me, know I am an opinionated ass and I may be swallowing my pride and ordering some arms from those who shall not be named.

- The other option is to use the Slee 4" caster plates, that require a tad bit of trimming on the forward bottom edge of the plates and the redline cruiser axle relocation mounts I planned to use originally.

We shall see after I make some phone calls....
View attachment 3181240

Mocked up:
View attachment 3181241

These bushings are toast:
View attachment 3181242

My buddy made this for me:
View attachment 3181243
Looking forward to what you come up with.

Is there a threshold of Delta components on a truck that qualifies for an Illuminati membership? I may have crossed that line a while ago.

Turns out you cannot easily go from the 2.5" land tank plates to the 4" land tank plates without some extra welding (the new forward hole lands on the edge of the previous slot... so you'd need to weld that slot closed...) plus, drilling those holes with the angle drill is real tough, so... no beans for me. Going a different route.

Documenting some information here, this all came from various threads, hopefully someone finds this helpful gathered in one place:
  • 80 series lift in inches = (Current hub center to fender in inches) - 20.5"
  • With each inch of lift, based on geometry, you will lose 1.76 degrees of caster ==> -1.76 degrees / inch
  • DeltaVS 5" Arms = +9.9 degrees of caster = 1.76 deg/in * 5 in + 1.1 deg
  • DeltaVS 3" Arms = +6.38 degrees of caster = 1.76 deg/in * 3 in + 1.1 deg
  • I believe delta is adding the 1.1 degree of caster to get you at the top end of the spec (4 degrees) @Delta VS can you confirm?
  • FSM Caster Spec = 3 degrees +/- 1 degree = 4 to 2 degrees... higher caster seems to 'feel' better according to folks running bigger tires
I have been racking my brain on what method to go with to correct my caster and put together this little table that may be helpful to the 80 crowd. Earlier in my thread I had mentioned incorrect caster correction numbers for the land tank plates, I removed that info and I believe the numbers in the table below are correct.

Notes:
  1. I calculated the land tank caster correction assuming 3 degree caster before a lift and 1.75 deg / inch caster loss that he has mentioned elsewhere
  2. The deltaVS numbers came from the delta drawing and discussion in their thread
  3. Eimkeiths numbers came from his website
1670192033360.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom