Builds Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@junior80 my wife has complained a little bit about heat coming from the trans tunnel on her side before, but I chalked it up to her just being a complainer. lol

Adam I have some timbre rear bump stops sitting in my garage and will mod them up like you did. Your write up on Instagram was great and will be easy to reference. Thanks!
Thanks. I've mentioned this to some others as well, but it's always best to cycle your suspension with the tires on to see where to set the bumpstops since every truck is a little different. My rear bumpstop towers are about 3.5" tall. So that's in the ballpark for a 3" lift and 37's.

Disregard...reread your thread and found the answer.

Last edited:
My wife got me a rad birthday present last week. MSA fridge drop slide. This thing is a beast! I had a tilt slide from DFG Offroad that I will probably move to one of the other trucks, but this will definitely work better with the drawers. Haven't had a chance to get out on a trip with it yet, but hopefully soon.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Looking forward to the trail report on the stage 5 dual by-pass shocks. I’ll bet your itching to get them up to speed :bounce:

Photo Dump!

New wheels and tires this weekend. Made the jump to 37's and picked up a full set (5) of 37x13.50 Toyo Open Country MTs. True 37's with a total height of 37.05". Was planning to just get another set of 35's but was able to work out a deal on some 17" Icon wheels. There are very few tires options for 37's that fit a 16" wheel these days so since I had a lead on the 17's a pulled the trigger on the 37's.

Wheel are Icon Alloy Rebounds, 17x8.5, zero offset. I still have my 1.5" spidertrax spacers on. If you run these wheels without spacers then the centercaps will not fit. I thought about removing the spacers but I wanted to run the centercaps and I've also had no complaints or issues with the spacers so I left them alone.

Pictures don't do the Icon wheels justice. They look so good in person. I wasn't sure about the bronze color with my Moonglow paint before I ordered them but now that they're on, I love the combination!

I still need to add 1" to my bumpstops. I'm planning to add some f/r Timbren bumps in place of the frame mounted bumpstops to take care of that. Should have those in a couple weeks. The tires are pretty tight at the firewall and I've done a little trimming of the flares and took a little off the bottom of the inner fenders. That's working fine for normal driving but they'll still make minor contact when stuffed. So I might weld in some plates to relocate the front axle 1" forward and it should be good to go.

Power still feels good to me with the 4.88 Nitros. I haven't noticed much difference from the 315s. Happy about that.

Here's some pics.
IconWheels and Toyos by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Height difference of the new 37" Toyo next to a 50% worn 315 Cooper STT Pro.

This 315 has been my spare and it's a Goodyear MTR that only has about 10 miles on it. I wanted to compare the new ones next to a new actual 35.

Before and After. Top pic is the 315/75R16 Cooper STT Pro on the SCS SR8 wheels.
iPhone 80 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
Little bit of poke with the wheel spacers
Had to cut the fuel can basket and hilift mount off the swingout so the 37 would fit. I'll figure out a solution for that soon.
Hi Adam, what is the bore of your Icon wheels? Did you have to trip at all. What was the wheel part number? Thx!

Hi Adam, what is the bore of your Icon wheels? Did you have to trip at all. What was the wheel part number? Thx!
I didn't have to trim anything on these wheels. They fit the bore of the Cruiser hubs. This should be the correct one. SKU number is listed on the page.

Earlier in the thread you mentioned how you painted your OEM wheels with VHT paint. Just curious, how did you go about masking the tire? I have painted mine, but tried a few common methods and are all garbage options.

Just got new Toyos and don’t want a bunch of overspray.

Love your build man, and you have given me a lot of inspiration and ideas.

Here are the specs.
The part number varies with color. Here is the part number for titanium
17x8.5 Icon Rebound
Bolt pattern 6 x 5.5”
Backspacing is 4.5”
Offset is 0”
Center bore is 106mm
Titanium part number 1817 8583 47TT

Earlier in the thread you mentioned how you painted your OEM wheels with VHT paint. Just curious, how did you go about masking the tire? I have painted mine, but tried a few common methods and are all garbage options.

Just got new Toyos and don’t want a bunch of overspray.

Love your build man, and you have given me a lot of inspiration and ideas.
I use the index card method to to mask the tires. Works really well and is easy.

Posting this because this thread helps me document updates on the truck and have dates when they happened.

replaced the radius arm bushings with new OEM rubber. Fixed a clunk noise I could difure out. Replaced the drive flanges too.
Radius arm bushings by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Last edited:
My wife got me a rad birthday present last week. MSA fridge drop slide. This thing is a beast! I had a tilt slide from DFG Offroad that I will probably move to one of the other trucks, but this will definitely work better with the drawers. Haven't had a chance to get out on a trip with it yet, but hopefully soon.

That's quite a present. Lucky guy. Which model is that? The DS50?

Posting this because this thread helps me document updates on the truck and have dates when they happened.

replaced the radius arm bushings with new OEM rubber. Fixed a clunk noise I could difure out.

hey Adam, have you seen this from Toyota? I’m getting ready to replace my bushings and want to make sure I have the right info? I’m sure either way will work

D8B53380-9D62-4EF3-A25A-03C3703D2291.png

hey Adam, have you seen this from Toyota? I’m getting ready to replace my bushings and want to make sure I have the right info? I’m sure either way will work

View attachment 2407991
Yes I have seen that. I’ve been told by a reliable source at Toyota that the orientation is not critical, but they just need to all be the same.

the holes in the rubber part of the bushing are there to allow more compression of the bushing along the axis between the holes. I believe a case could be made for either orientation being effective in that regard.

Tackled a project I've had on my list for a while and did some tailgate storage last night. DPI Marine hatches I found on Amazon. 13x17". Used some Noico sound deadening/heat barrier and a layer of carpet on the inside of the tailgate. I recovered the tailgate with some new carpet and called it good. Will be nice to have a dedicated spot for recovery gear and free up some space in the drawers.

Good time for an aniversary post. 6 years ago today is when I purchased my current 80. Roughly 110K miles driven in that time, along with a couple mods. It's been a good ride. Looking forward to several more years with the old gal.

The day we brought her home.
Day1_c by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Couple days ago.

Decided to give some different lights a try. I've been really happy with the Hella HIDs I've had on the front bumper. I've looked at several of the big name LED options. There are some great LED lights out there but I wanted to find something that had lower amp draw than the HIDs but also could match or improve on the distance of the beam that the HIDs had. All the common ones I looked at were good lights but couldn't quite match the distance of HIDs. So I never bought any.

In reality the distance is of the well known LEDs are more than adequate for most driving and I don't really see anyone "outrunning" the light of a good LED. But.......being spoiled by the distance of HIDs I wanted as a light that would throw a beam as far as possible since it's so nice to be able to see an extra 200-300 yds when driving fast at night. Driving fast in the dark means you are usually driving the highest speeds on longer straightaways. Being able to see and anticipate a turn a few seconds earlier at those speeds is nice and just makes it more relaxing and not so "white knuckled" to drive fast at night.

I stumbled onto some LED lights that caught my attention. Yeah, they are a Chinese product from LED COLight, and I was skeptical to purchase but what really caught my attention was the large projector lens in the center that has a laser module instead of an LED. The rest of the LEDs are OSRAM LEDs which have a good reputation. They were advertised to have a spot beam from the laser with an advertised distance of 2000 meters! The rest of the LEDs in the light are more of a flood pattern so there is still a lot of useable light besides the tight beam from the laser. The price was reasonable enough to take a gamble on them.

The past few days with them has given me a few opportunities to try them out and I'm really impressed. I wasn't given a deal on them and paid full price so I have no reason to artificially positive about them. I got a pair of the 9" model. They have much farther distance than my HID's. The laser has a VERY tight beam pattern, but the surrounding LEDs do a nice job of giving some good light in more of a Eurobeam pattern. I haven't ever had a light penetrate fog like these do. I'm looking forward to getting out to the desert away from the snow and see if they penetrate dust as well as they do fog. So far, I'm really happy with them. They have a 2year warranty, and hopefully they are durable. The quality seems very good, and the packaging was very nice like you'd expect from a top tier product. The 9" ones I got came with 3 colored translucent "halo rings" (red, blue, orange) that can be changed. I wasn't particularly stoked about any of the rings but knew I wouldn't use the Blue ones so I painted them a graphite color. It's more subtle and I like the look better than with the colored rings.

If I were to say anything critical at this point, it would be that I wish they came with a lens protector/stone guard. They do not but I've been in contact with the company and have requested some and they are looking into it. We'll see if anything comes of it.
Laser Lights. by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom