Making a Magnuson supercharger for my 95TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can I recommend a bit more reading of the forum? Plenty of @NLXTACY turbo kits out in the wild. Damn, if the AUD to USD wasn't so terrible I'd buy one myself and keep it for when I buy an FZJ80 again
Go read the thread

NLXTACY. We talked about this CARB compliant issues in July & August of 2017 in this forum. You never answered my question then. Show me the CARB compliant certification! You will probably figure out my other (my Son) account name.

Last edited:
So, it appears you don’t understand how CARB works. Where it’s applied? How it’s applied? Who it affects? Nor do you seem to understand the difference between a vehicle manufacturer and an aftermarket supplier nor that our trucks are not affected by the med/heavy duty truck rules. There is a lot going on in your ramblings that just don’t make any sense.
Oh, I understand. I have a TLC I can’t register.

I think you need to see this first:
Just show me your CARB approval ID. Simple. I have one for the Supercharger I am making because it was an OEM product that is CARB certified. Where is yours?

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 2.06.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 2.06.35 AM.png

Are you drunk???

You linked to his website to say that you had a CARB ID. He reproduces those, for the SC people that is why you might have one, not because of anything you did.

You don’t have anything at this point. If you are “making” something (which you aren’t) please post something. You said your winch was going to affect your Supercharger install which it won’t. You have demonstrated you need to spend more time in the garage or reading.

I was going to try and be supportive or helpful if you were actually making something for an 80 series because we always need new ideas, but it’s clear I don’t need to be in this thread until you actually know what you’re doing. Lol

Just show me your CARB approval ID. Simple. I have one for the Supercharger I am making because it was an OEM product that is CARB certified. Where is yours?

View attachment 2451936

View attachment 2451937

Are you drunk???

You linked to his website to say that you had a CARB ID. He reproduces those, for the SC people that is why you might have one, not because of anything you did.

You don’t have anything at this point. If you are “making” something (which you aren’t) please post something. You said your winch was going to affect your Supercharger install which it won’t. You have demonstrated you need to spend more time in the garage or reading.

I was going to try and be supportive or helpful if you were actually making something for an 80 series because we always need new ideas, but it’s clear I don’t need to be in this thread until you actually know what you’re doing. Lol
I don't drink brother. God commands me to serve 24/7 and I am on call 24/7. Back on the next evening for the 15 nights straight. I would love your help. I will show you a picture in the morning. The M12 Warn winch takes up a large amount of space. The bumper states it was designed for the 8000 lb winch. That was not going to be able to deal with my use of the Beast. One sec; will go get pictures. Moreover, the CARB ID is not his. Simply look it up. It belongs to TRD/Magnuson. He simply sells the labels for the superchargers that are actually CARB certified.

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

I don't drink brother. God commands me to serve 24/7 and I am on call 24/7. Back on the next evening for the 15 nights straight. I would love your help. I will show you a picture in the morning. The M12 Warn winch takes up a large amount of space. The bumper states it was designed for the 8000 lb winch. That was not going to be able to deal with my use of the Beast. One sec; will go get pictures. Moreover, the CARB ID is not his. Simply look it up. It belongs to TRD/Magnuson. He simply sells the labels for the superchargers that are actually CARB certified.

View attachment 2451948

View attachment 2451949

View attachment 2451950

View attachment 2451951

View attachment 2451952
Where the posterior 2/3 area of the winch is where many turbos have their cooling device. I have no room there as I have a M12 Warn 12,000 lb winch in my ARB bumper. Again, limiting me to OEM specs. My sincere interest is in making what so many people want; an affordable supercharger for their rigs. I believe I can reconstruct using used superchargers and fabricate the manifold and brackets using the original products. I love my rigs. The 95 is my daily driver.

Mate, there is a separate application underway for the turbo...it is all in the turbo thread... Joey isn't passing off the blower sticker as approval for the turbo

Where the posterior 2/3 area of the winch is where many turbos have their cooling device. I have no room there as I have a M12 Warn 12,000 lb winch in my ARB bumper. Again, limiting me to OEM specs. My sincere interest is in making what so many people want; an affordable supercharger for their rigs. I believe I can reconstruct using used superchargers and fabricate the manifold and brackets using the original products. I love my rigs. The 95 is my daily driver.
This is the Executive Order, D-425-7 that you claim your friend created. It was created in accordance with Title 13, California Code of Regulations, Section 2222, and states, "THIS EXECUTIVE ORDER DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CERTIFICATION, ACCREDIDATION, APPROVAL, OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF ENDORSEMENT BY THE AIR RESOURCES BOARD OF ANY CLAIMS OF THE APPLICANT CONCERNING ANTI-POLLUTION BENEFITS OR ANY ALLEGED BENEFITS OF TOYOTA RACING DEVELOPMENT'S SUPERCHARGER KIT." Signed by R. B. Summerfield, Chief of the Mobile Source Operations Division. Aforementioned, this kit was determined after 4 years of testing and compliance "not to reduce the effectiveness of the applicable vehicle pollution control system and, therefore, is except from the prohibitions of Section 27156 of the Vehicle Code for all 1992 to 1997 model-year Toyota trucks that are equipped with a 4.5L 6 cylinder engine." Pretty black and white. I have attached a copy of the State of California Air Resources Board Executive Order for your convenience.

Attachments

• d-425-7.pdf
    187.8 KB · Views: 143
This is the Executive Order, D-425-7 that you claim your friend created. It was created in accordance with Title 13, California Code of Regulations, Section 2222, and states, "THIS EXECUTIVE ORDER DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CERTIFICATION, ACCREDITATION, APPROVAL, OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF ENDORSEMENT BY THE AIR RESOURCES BOARD OF ANY CLAIMS OF THE APPLICANT CONCERNING ANTI-POLLUTION BENEFITS OR ANY ALLEGED BENEFITS OF TOYOTA RACING DEVELOPMENT'S SUPERCHARGER KIT." Signed by R. B. Summerfield, Chief of the Mobile Source Operations Division. Aforementioned, this kit was determined after 4 years of testing and compliance "not to reduce the effectiveness of the applicable vehicle pollution control system and, therefore, is exempt from the prohibitions of Section 27156 of the Vehicle Code for all 1992 to 1997 model-year Toyota trucks that are equipped with a 4.5L 6 cylinder engine." Pretty black and white. I have attached a copy of the State of California Air Resources Board Executive Order for your convenience.
Here is the form your friend never completed. Upon completion, the form is to be sent to the following:
Please send the completed application along with the necessary attachments to:
Branch Chief
Aftermarket Parts Certification and Audit Branch
Emissions Compliance, Automotive Regulations and Science Division
Air Resources Board
9480 Telstar Avenue, Suite 4
El Monte, CA 91731​

Attachments

• eccd_apcab_003_exemption_application_for_aftermarket_turbochargers_superchargers_form_c.pdf
    207.9 KB · Views: 37
This is the Executive Order, D-425-7 that you claim your friend created. It was created in accordance with Title 13, California Code of Regulations, Section 2222, and states, "THIS EXECUTIVE ORDER DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CERTIFICATION, ACCREDIDATION, APPROVAL, OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF ENDORSEMENT BY THE AIR RESOURCES BOARD OF ANY CLAIMS OF THE APPLICANT CONCERNING ANTI-POLLUTION BENEFITS OR ANY ALLEGED BENEFITS OF TOYOTA RACING DEVELOPMENT'S SUPERCHARGER KIT." Signed by R. B. Summerfield, Chief of the Mobile Source Operations Division. Aforementioned, this kit was determined after 4 years of testing and compliance "not to reduce the effectiveness of the applicable vehicle pollution control system and, therefore, is except from the prohibitions of Section 27156 of the Vehicle Code for all 1992 to 1997 model-year Toyota trucks that are equipped with a 4.5L 6 cylinder engine." Pretty black and white. I have attached a copy of the State of California Air Resources Board Executive Order for your convenience.
Not sure if this was addressed to me or not, but I really don't think you've read anything that I or anyone else here has said.

In summary:
1) the TRD blower CARB approval and the turbo kit blower approval are 2 different products with 2 different approvals
2) without casting aspersions, someone who joins and then immediately begins to bash or pick fault with the products of a vendor who has spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours putting together products for those of us who drive these trucks, is, at least in my opinion, very questionable in regards to motives. If you're looking to revive the supercharger kit, there are other ways to market a product than bagging out your 'competition'
3) I'm out after this post, can't be bothered engaging any further.
4) good luck piecing your blower together, definitely a worthwhile improvement over stock.
5) read the turbo thread thoroughly before slinging off about the turbo kit, I think you'll find that your comments are unfair and incorrect.

Over and out

Last edited:
Here is the form your friend never completed. Upon completion, the form is to be sent to the following:
Please send the completed application along with the necessary attachments to:
Branch Chief
Aftermarket Parts Certification and Audit Branch
Emissions Compliance, Automotive Regulations and Science Division
Air Resources Board
9480 Telstar Avenue, Suite 4
El Monte, CA 91731​
Once the application has been filed, the Air Resources Board will contact you to inform you of missing information or to specify test vehicles. You are responsible for obtaining the vehicles and having them tested at a qualified independent laboratory. If you have any questions concerning the suitability of a vehicle for testing or the test themselves, please contact the staff engineer assigned to your application. If confirmatory testing is required at the Air Resources Board's laboratory after you completed the testing, you must provide the test vehicle, but there is no charge for testing.
Manufacturers must present sufficient information to establish that an emissions increase will not result from the use of an add-on or modified part. If your device or modification is exempted, the Air Resources Board will issue an Executive Order stating that the part will not adversely affect emissions and that it is legal for sale and use in California.
FOIA requesting allows for people who are potential investors to see the progress of the testing. If for any reason you believe you have been falsely advised that a company is releasing a product that is CARB compliant, you should contact the Federal Trade Commission and SEMA for the Federal Regulation of Aftermarket Parts.

I think what others are trying to say, is that you’re coming off a little arrogant early in the game and being “a tad” disrespectful to well respected people on here, especially for a guy that claims Christianity. Don’t be like this guy.

I understand what you are saying completely. I am just trying to be clear, concise, correct, and complete. I have a useless TLC because I spent 9,000 USD on a system that ended up not being CARB compliant. There is no going back. I have to sell (which I cannot legally) or part out the vehicle. Aforementioned, I have been using this forum for years. I commented on CARB compliance in July of 2017 and received no response. I wish it to happen. I really do. It is just important to protect individuals in this community from advertisements that may not be correct or possibly misconstrued.

Yes, I just can't help myself. The issue here is that you're not being correct and you're not informing anyone.

For the **** millionth time, if you read the turbo thread, you would know that Joey had a truck at SEMA for testing, they put it on its lid so he bought another one and sent to SEMA and they screwed something up on that one. If you read the post you made earlier, you'll note that said process is what has been done for the turbo kit, which has CARB compliance that is NOT got by the fitment of a TRD supercharger compliance sticker.

Sorry to bang on about this but seriously, this grinds my gears! Don't go disseminating things to the discredit of a reputable vendor on this thread and other ones, because you either have an axe to grind or haven't taken the time to read something thoroughly.

I don't drink brother. God commands me to serve 24/7 and I am on call 24/7

Mate I think you need to take a few nights off call and have a sleep and calm down a bit.

Your not making anything, your bolting a few pre made parts onto your car. Your winch has nothing to do with anything, stop bringing it up, no one gives a s*** about it!

The supercharger doesn’t not occupy any of that space and there is no cooling device for the supercharger so your winch will not have any effect on its install. But I am sure you have all the parts since you’re making 3 and you already knew that ;)

View attachment 2451948

View attachment 2451949

View attachment 2451950

View attachment 2451951

View attachment 2451952

Post a picture of this bolt on turbo that allows for a winch and arb bumper to be placed.
Their are a lot of responses here and I think you are getting confused by them and what people are trying to say. First you say you want to build your own supercharger kit I assume by building the supercharger hat and intake piece. That's a great idea and look forward to you doing so.

As far as turbo. Your winch really doesn't block as much air as you think. Their are several ways to cool turbo air, one is with a front mount intercooler(Which your winch would block some air to this type of intercooler but would still probably be ok), another is with a intercooler mounted under the hood with Coolant going through it(Which since it's under the hood and relies on liquid to cool it, you don't have to worry about how air will get to it to cool it.)The second option would work with your winch since it's not mounted up front. Also, with a turbo kit that is running lower boost such as around 7 psi or so you can get away without a intercooler at all. With a efficient turbo setup the pressurized air doesn't get thst hot unless you crank up the boost to higher levels. So a turbo in your cruiser really isn't out of the question because of the winch. As far as a turbo kit with carb approval. Their is none as of now. However this turbo kit here is in the process of being carb Certified:

It can be purchased now without carb certification. But according to the owner of the business carb certification seems likely to happen for this kit in the near future for people such as you living in California that want a turbo kit. It is pretty much a low boost complete bolt on kit. Because it is low boost it doesn't require a intercooler. Several ih8mud 80 series cruisers are running this kit. It also produces more power than the supercharger kit because the turbo is more efficient than the supercharger.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom