Making a Magnuson supercharger for my 95TLC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m having a hard time watching this dumpster fire and not commenting... You will be dissatisfied, disappointed and broke after spending all the time (years) and energy to put just one supercharger kit together... installing it... and learning that the power gains aren’t impressive or life changing. It’s simply factory plus and then you have to manage the added heat the supercharger produces. You’ll be pulling your hair out... punching out...

One thing is for sure. If this dude makes anything ( clearly won't because can't read words ) nobody in their right mind will want it.

Probably too early in the morning, but just out of curiosity:
How does making a winch fit in a bumper qualify towards making a supercharger? And how is this thing going to pass Cali emissions? Won't CARB approval for that home-made S/C be necessary to pass - where will that come from? It's not a genuine TRD/Magnuson unit, after all. Or are you simply planning on buying the sticker from @NLXTACY ?

In any case, with 2 S/C'ed 80s in our fleet, if I want motor, I'll take the GX...

So I came in here because I was actually curious to see how one would go about building their own supercharger dealy-bob (reminiscent of the turboclunker for me :eek: ). I have some sympathy for the OP and enthusiasm for his project, if it's what he wants to do. Obviously he's a bit of a know it all, which combined with a lack of information, has made him put his foot in his mouth several times. I would ask everyone to cut back on hazing him, but I know that's hard to do with an argumentitive personality. But this is MUD, not pirate, so let's see what this guy's plan looks like.

A few points (that others have already made):
1) turbo or supercharger, neither has anything to do with your front bumper or winch. An intercooler is not necessary, and if it's necessary for you, it can be placed in other locations than the front bumper. I did it. Neither the existing Wits' End turbo kit or the TRD supercharger (which I assume you plan to mimic) require you to do anything at all behind the bumper. There is also likely a meth injection system on the horizon, which will be easy to accomodate and be a reasonable substitute for an intercooler if you wish.
2) Wits' End turbo kit is in the final stages of CARB approval. It is out on the road across the country.
3) Forgive me, I'm not a California resident, but I believe If you're building your supercharger system from scratch it will have to visually resemble the TRD supercharger pretty closely in order to pass for one with an emissions referee. You'll need to get that sticker from Joey. Just because there is a supercharger that is CARB approved doesn't mean every/any supercharger is approved. The thing is approved as a whole system. Just as you can't pluck a Holset turbo off a powerstroke (which is CARB approved) and build your own system around it and still have it pass emissions.

Just trying to help. :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Did OP buy one of those CX Racing kits and the intercooler doesn't jive with the ARB/winch and also isn't CARB approved?

So I came in here because I was actually curious to see how one would go about building their own supercharger dealy-bob (reminiscent of the turboclunker for me :eek: ). I have some sympathy for the OP and enthusiasm for his project, if it's what he wants to do. Obviously he's a bit of a know it all, which combined with a lack of information, has made him put his foot in his mouth several times. I would ask everyone to cut back on hazing him, but I know that's hard to do with an argumentitive personality. But this is MUD, not pirate, so let's see what this guy's plan looks like.

1) turbo or supercharger, neither has anything to do with your front bumper or winch. An intercooler is not necessary, and if it's necessary for you, it can be placed in other locations than the front bumper. I did it. Neither the existing Wits' End turbo kit or the TRD supercharger (which I assume you plan to mimic) require you to do anything at all behind the bumper. There is also likely a meth injection system on the horizon, which will be easy to accomodate and be a reasonable substitute for an intercooler if you wish.
2) Wits' End turbo kit is in the final stages of CARB approval. It is out on the road across the country.
3) Forgive me, I'm not a California resident, but I believe If you're building your supercharger system from scratch it will have to visually resemble the TRD supercharger pretty closely in order to pass for one with an emissions referee. You'll need to get that sticker from Joey. Just because there is a supercharger that is CARB approved doesn't mean every/any supercharger is approved. The thing is approved as a whole system. Just as you can't pluck a Holset turbo off a powerstroke (which is CARB approved) and build your own system around it and still have it pass emissions.

This is likely the most informative and sane post I've seen in this thread. 🍻

I think we got trolled. Good read though, I got a few laughs with my morning coffee.

Actually we got "Rick Rolled" post 41. Dude is a nutter. Fun read though

I am only recasting the brackets and a few other pieces. I have to modify one part because of my Warn M12 winch taking up so much space. So minor movement (4 cm). Same structure. No alterations in Air flow.
M12 on an ARB WITH a TRD supercharger works just fine. You can even run Landtanks Gen 4 MAF with it very nicely. Even if you have 53 days of 110 degree heat. Ask me how I know???

Their are a lot of responses here and I think you are getting confused by them and what people are trying to say. First you say you want to build your own supercharger kit I assume by building the supercharger hat and intake piece. That's a great idea and look forward to you doing so.

As far as turbo. Your winch really doesn't block as much air as you think. Their are several ways to cool turbo air, one is with a front mount intercooler(Which your winch would block some air to this type of intercooler but would still probably be ok), another is with a intercooler mounted under the hood with Coolant going through it(Which since it's under the hood and relies on liquid to cool it, you don't have to worry about how air will get to it to cool it.)The second option would work with your winch since it's not mounted up front. Also, with a turbo kit that is running lower boost such as around 7 psi or so you can get away without a intercooler at all. With a efficient turbo setup the pressurized air doesn't get thst hot unless you crank up the boost to higher levels. So a turbo in your cruiser really isn't out of the question because of the winch. As far as a turbo kit with carb approval. Their is none as of now. However this turbo kit here is in the process of being carb Certified:

It can be purchased now without carb certification. But according to the owner of the business carb certification seems likely to happen for this kit in the near future for people such as you living in California that want a turbo kit. It is pretty much a low boost complete bolt on kit. Because it is low boost it doesn't require a intercooler. Several ih8mud 80 series cruisers are running this kit. It also produces more power than the supercharger kit because the turbo is more efficient than the supercharger.
You are 100% spot on. That is exactly what I am doing. Thankfully the supercharger is in every junkyard in the United States. General Motors estimated 800,000 of the units remain in graveyards (junkyards). I have a turbo on one my my TLCs; I could not get it to pass smog. I have it on my property for parts. When I have time, I started parting it out for as cheap as possible to help bring others dreams to fruition. I don’t think I will go turbo again until I physically see a CARB certification and their California registration. I was so disappointed when I built a rig for my Son and I couldn’t even get it to pass smog. (And yes I know I could pay someone to fabricate emissions and possibly lose my license to practice saving lives, so I just took the loss). I am looking for another LX 450 96 (95s and above come with airbags and the omd2 sensor). My Son didn’t want the tank because it is now at 7 MPG; also, he knows I love it as my daily driver. My Daughter uses the Magnuson Supercharged Tacoma 2011 as her daily driver. My Wife uses the Magnuson Supercharged 2004 4Runner as her daily driver. The 1993 TLC is for when one of my friends from the military comes to California or when one of the other Docs from the hospital wants to go off-roading.

Btw, I still highly recommend the supercharger for your build. I stand firmly behind that decision.
I already have already pre-ordered the Witz-End turbo For a rig which will never see pavement (future project). For that project, I do not care about CARB compliance. I can’t wait to get it.

You are Correct. I literally have to make it virtually the same as the original M90 supercharger (thankfully there are hundreds of thousands of these). Any change or upgrade would make the unit not CARB compliant and could cause a ban on me being able to register the vehicle (quite like my other TLC that was reported as altered and can’t be registered).
Moreover, thank you for understanding what I am trying to accomplish here. I believe an additional cooler would be necessary from the articles I have read. I am not positive about this, however. The sticker/plate remained on my rig after the last owner pulled off the supercharger (95 TLC). I have the sticker (just missing the supercharger). Please let me know if you come across anyone wishing to sell theirs and if anyone would like to help make these for under $800 dollars. It is not for the profit (it is for the love of the hobby).

Last edited:
Probably too early in the morning, but just out of curiosity:
How does making a winch fit in a bumper qualify towards making a supercharger? And how is this thing going to pass Cali emissions? Won't CARB approval for that home-made S/C be necessary to pass - where will that come from? It's not a genuine TRD/Magnuson unit, after all. Or are you simply planning on buying the sticker from @NLXTACY ?

In any case, with 2 S/C'ed 80s in our fleet, if I want motor, I'll take the GX...
The M12 Warn is placed inside of the ARB bumper is quite large; it goes back deep toward the engine and is bolted to the bumper which is bolted and now tach welded to the frame. Most Turbos have an additional cooling system that is placed where my Warn M12 is located.

I’m having a hard time watching this dumpster fire and not commenting... You will be dissatisfied, disappointed and broke after spending all the time (years) and energy to put just one supercharger kit together... installing it... and learning that the power gains aren’t impressive or life changing. It’s simply factory plus and then you have to manage the added heat the supercharger produces. You’ll be pulling your hair out... punching out...
I really hope not. I love the 80-series and try to keep it as OEM as possible. A guy at work put a Chevy V8 in his 1983 FJ40 (Cali rust free) and can't figure out why it won't sell.

M12 on an ARB WITH a TRD supercharger works just fine. You can even run Landtanks Gen 4 MAF with it very nicely. Even if you have 53 days of 110 degree heat. Ask me how I know???
Do you have an OEM supercharger and M12 on ARB? If so, you are the man brother. I wish you great off-roading!

As requested, Warn M12000 with OEM Supercharger.

And the supercharger install instructions. May be some confusion as to what all is involved.

786908C3-8E2F-4C85-906D-37C43769C701.jpeg

58F9AC09-9993-42DA-B4DA-4ABC56AC9373.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom