Builds Portland Troopy Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey umpqua,

Saw you and your rig going east on Hwy 6 just outside Tillamook yesterday. How was camping? I presume you were coming back from another weekend enjoying the Troopy. It looked good for the few seconds I could get a look.

I’m in Portland visiting a friend. If timing works I’d love to come take a look at it today or tomorrow, if you’re around/available.

I’m staying in Lake Oswego.

Jason

Not sure if serious but I guess I gotta thing for matching. Gotta be some color so black appears to be it.

Hi Jason, yes around today and tomorrow. Let me know if you'd like to take a look.

Yeah, I was coming back from the N Fork of the Trask. Camped there Saturday night.

Christmas came early. A review is coming.....
Solar Blanket.jpg

Looking forward to the review... traditionally these flexible-style solar cells have been pretty weak and their performance degrades with use. But solar tech is changing. This looks cool.

A few shots from last weekend camping on the White River which is East of Mount Hood.

I took a shot of the rear springs on my 62. I think it's just surface rust.

Apology for the Oregon chair. I hate the *ucks.
Maia.jpg
White River.jpg
Goats.jpg

This weekend I was able to try out the solar blanket from Off Grid Trek. I've had it a few weeks but needed to sort out the solar controller. I was able to find one that met my need from Aco Power. At 200w it is very likely overkill but it might come in handy in the dark, rainy winters that we have in Oregon.

I can't wait to use it in the desert. Planning a trip to E Oregon in a couple of weeks and it will really come in handy in the Baja at Christmas. It works really well as a sun visor.
solar panel2.jpg
solar charge controller.jpg

I look forward to seeing how you wire this all up, I'm taking notes! By the way, we've raised meat goats for twenty years and never took any camping. :) I'd rather hang with the goats than with most people.

200W is not overkill.

Used a 150w permanently mounted to the roof of my trakka during a trip to Baja last winter and it barely kept up with the 62L fridge/Goal Zero 1000 combo. Short days and hot weather uses lots of power to keep the Tecate cold.

I'd have gone with mounted panels to the roof so it will charge while driving, but there's always the engine for that while driving. Not sure on your battery setup though, hopefully it works for ya.

Everything is all wired up. I bought the controller from Aco Power ( a nice Chinese lady named "Lynn). I told them what I wanted and they wired everything up. It was plug and play. I mounted the controller just behind the drivers seat with a short ring connector lead over to the lithium battery. About a 3' run coming off the controller out the door of the troopy where it connects to about a 15' supply cord to the panel. I can put the panel on the windshield, the roof or run it to the sun if parked in the shade.

Caliente Tecate no bueno.
Solar Controller.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, haven't posted in a while. There hasn't been much to report but the truck goes back to the shop on the 10th of October. Lots of little miscellaneous"stuff" will be done then with the main thing to hopefully happen is the installation of the water tank.

This is a pic from the Long Beach Penninsula in Washington last weekend. I went with 7 other people and we dug 8 limits of razor clams....120 each. Bought some Willapa Bay oysters, Albacore Tuna that I caught last week and ate the clams right on the beach.

Life is good.
clam.jpg
tuna.jpg

The Troopy goes to the shop tomorrow (Josh got me in a few days early) for a variety of "stuff." Some more significant than others. I will detail as the work is done.

In the meantime, I crabbed the Columbia River on Saturday and I'd say it was pretty good. Spent Friday and Saturday night in Ft. Stevens State Park near Astoria. It's a very nice park as parks go but I already know that I'm not a "park" person. There are a LOT of rules mainly surrounding dogs.

My friend Bob drove his very nice '86 ( I believe) Forerunner which he's had since new. Apparently he has a really good idea of where his front bumper ends.

Also a pic of a nice mid 80's Toyota truck. It was in great shape. The TRD stickers are recent add on.

Off to the car wash.......
Crab.jpg
Ft Stevens.jpg
Toyota Truck.jpg
Beach Ft Stevens.jpg

That white mid-80's truck... wow!

And of course your Troopy. ;)
Yeah, I was all about the white truck. Younger guy. Encouraged him to keep it looking nice.....and to go to a car wash. Salt. Not sure I should be on a beach.....

The Troopy has been in the capable hands of Josh Harper at Willamette Blvd Auto in Portland since Tuesday. I dropped off some oil today and checked in on the progress. There's a laundry list of things to do but I want to update with a few photo's.

A few weeks ago I bought front recovery points from Rob Smith at Odd Iron Off Road Over view of Odd Iron Off Road and offerings for Land Cruisers and off road vehicles Thanks to John Lockwood for the lead at Odd Iron. I found Rob easy to deal with and he shipped promptly.

Attached are some pics of the recovery points. They are definitely beefy and well built. They are made to work with the ARB bumper and don't interfere with the jack points on the bumper. One thing that we did discover though is that the left side point needed modification as there wasn't room to mount it with the larger gearing on the 12K lb winch. It was a process that can be explained as needed but suffice it to say that Josh figured it out without sacrificing the integrity of the recovery point.
Recovery Point Pre.jpg
Recovery Point.jpg
recovery point 3.jpg

I ordered a hood liner from partsouq. PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World
Item number 5334190K06 Liner
Item number 9046709014 Clip. 16 are needed.

The silver heat shield must be for a turbo. Don't know for sure.

Thanks to Honger for the intel and confirmation of part numbers needed.

I do like to thank the folks on this site that are helping me. This is a great community and I DO appreciate the help that is provided.
Hood liner.jpg

The Troopy has been in the capable hands of Josh Harper at Willamette Blvd Auto in Portland since Tuesday. I dropped off some oil today and checked in on the progress. There's a laundry list of things to do but I want to update with a few photo's.

A few weeks ago I bought front recovery points from Rob Smith at Odd Iron Off Road Over view of Odd Iron Off Road and offerings for Land Cruisers and off road vehicles Thanks to John Lockwood for the lead at Odd Iron. I found Rob easy to deal with and he shipped promptly.

Attached are some pics of the recovery points. They are definitely beefy and well built. They are made to work with the ARB bumper and don't interfere with the jack points on the bumper. One thing that we did discover though is that the left side point needed modification as there wasn't room to mount it with the larger gearing on the 12K lb winch. It was a process that can be explained as needed but suffice it to say that Josh figured it out without sacrificing the integrity of the recovery point. View attachment 2104063View attachment 2104064View attachment 2104065

I thought about you and this issue because I had the same problem with mine. I’m going to let Rob address the modification since the truck is back in town.

PS your Troopy is so awesome.

I needed a place to keep my hi-lift jack. Originally it was going to be mounted on the rear bumper as I just couldn't figure out another spot for it. I'm using the back doors a LOT and didn't want to add more weight on the open and close. At some point the truck may get sliders and I might try to incorporate a spot on the slider and mount it on the side like you see on a 40.

In the meantime, Josh fabbed a custom mount for the front bumper. I like the eye bolt. Might come in handy to tie something or someone up to. I will be putting that sock thing on to protect it from the elements. The jack should be accessible when I drive into a ditch. The only thing I don't like about it is the poser factor which is not what I'm after.
Hi Lift.jpg
Hi Lift 2.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about you and this issue because I had the same problem with mine. I’m going to let Rob address the modification since the truck is back in town.

PS your Troopy is so awesome.
I'd be happy to point Rob towards Josh on this. Josh likes the mod that he did to the point.....seems to think that it makes it even stronger. Let me know if Rob wants the referral.

Thanks very much for the compliment. It's coming along......

Last edited:
I needed a place to keep my hi-lift jack. Originally it was going to be mounted on the rear bumper but I just couldn't figure out another spot for it. Besides, I'm using the back doors a LOT and didn't want to add more weight on the open and close. At some point the truck may get sliders and I might try to incorporate a spot on the slider and mount it on the side like you see on a 40.

In the meantime, Josh fabbed a custom mount for the front bumper. I like the eye bolt. Might come in handy to tie something or someone up to. I will be putting that sock thing on to protect it from the elements. The jack should be accessible when I drive into a ditch. The only thing I don't like about it is the poser factor which is not what I'm after.View attachment 2104085View attachment 2104086
I like this a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom