Costa Rica basket case "Pura Vida overland build" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I guess I will start a build thread. Not going to be like most on here with mad skills and big pockets, lol. Just want to document the build and be able to ask "The Gurus" on here all the various questions I'm sure I will have. A bit about me, I'm from the States but now live in Costa Rica. Been eyeballing Troopy builds for some time. I currently overland my 2020 Toyota 4runner which has been great but I am ready to not have to climb up and down a rooftop tent as well as have a few more options with indoor living space. So, in my search, I picked up a 2004 HZJ78L LHD (had to be an LHD to be able to be in Costa Rica when I am home) in really rough shape but I couldn't pass up the price. Here is what she looked like the day I got her.

IMG_4672 (1).jpg

Bummer but at least it dumped clean Toyota red!

Welcome! Love a troopy thread.
AND there was coolant left to dump. Glass half full, right? Or in this case RAD HALF FULL? Looking forward to seeing the progress. And no fear, there are some of us here with no budget OR talent. Determination makes up for some of these...

Congratulations on your new ride... I think. She'll be alright. At least you are in a place where a bolt in the coolant hose isn't uncommon and people know how to keep it going. And a fleet truck they had to keep running.

I spent a lot of time in you neck of the woods many, many moons ago; like when Hermosa seemed like a ways from Jaco and was still all finca. Any chance you know Joey Riday?

Congratulations on your new ride... I think. She'll be alright. At least you are in a place where a bolt in the coolant hose isn't uncommon and people know how to keep it going. And a fleet truck they had to keep running.

I spent a lot of time in you neck of the woods many, many moons ago; like when Hermosa seemed like a ways from Jaco and was still all finca. Any chance you know Joey Riday?
I do not

Any help with what this is and for? I found it hiding behind the dash above the A/c unit while I was putting in a new head unit and new front dash speakers.

IMG_5156.jpeg

Kills switch? It's a dial that seems to be hooked up to the a/c or something. i thought it might be some kind of temp control but buried? at its not as if it can be pulled out towards the dash as if it was in the dash at some point. I mean a/c blows cold so I'm not going to mess with it.

Hello,

Given the location of that switch, it is likely the AC amplifier. It is better to leave it alone if your AC blows cold.

Red coolant aside, it is worth having the radiator serviced.

Juan

Man, you are cracking along. Didn't you just get that basket case? Amir's set up looks really nice.

I'm about 2 weeks ahead of these pictures. But i have been putting all my free time into this. It's just hard to do without a shop and even harder to do in Costa Rica for the lack of a lot of things readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom