Builds "Lucy" the Troopy 2016 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I am finally starting to build out my 2016 Troopcarrier and I wanted to share the progress. A little history of the Troopy, I purchased it from the United Nations in Belize last year. It is left hand drive HZJ78 version with 26,000 miles.
IMG_5697.JPG

1HZ Motor
c185b515-6ec0-454a-bc66-6b111fa488fe.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Interior Buildout Phase​

In a few weeks, I will be getting an Hercules AluCab roof conversion installed, so I have been working on the interior build out designs. Below are some 3D designs of my planned design. The plan is to use extruded aluminum wrapped with 1/4 plywood.

Animated Build Out Video

Right Side will be a long bench with a large pull out drawer that store my stove, kitchen stuff, and pantry items. Behind the passenger seat under the bench I will have space for the electronics.
Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 10.09.23 AM.png

Left Side will hold the fright right at the back and behind the driver's seat will be a ceiling to floor storage cabinet with a drop down table.
Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 10.09.30 AM.png

Rear View
Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 10.09.13 AM.png

The bench will slide open to create a bed if the weather is bad. Also, will lift up to access the content of the drawer.
Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 3.09.23 PM.png

Let me know if you have ideas.

Last edited:
I created another design with the flip down desk removed and one from only wood. I need to get a life. :D

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 10.15.58 PM.png

Initially, I was dead set on using extruded aluminum, but now I am considering using wood for the build out. The extruded aluminum is very light, but I have realized some concerns the more I played with the designs in Fusion360.

1. The aluminum framing is an 1" thick, which mean you can lose 2 inches on either side of a cabinet vs using 1/2" plywood where you lose only 1 inch.
  2. The connectors, frame reinforcements, nuts, etc can get expensive quick.
  3. The aluminum framing can be limiting from a design perspective
  4. Future modifications: If I want to make any changes at some point it would be more difficult with aluminum.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 10.08.03 PM.png

So far the wood design is my favorite one. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a super super simple birch plywood box in the back of my Troopy. I love it for aesthetics and practicality though I should note it can warp over time…

IMG_6842.jpeg

I have a super super simple birch plywood box in the back of my Troopy. I love it for aesthetics and practicality though I should note it can warp over time…

View attachment 3404054
Put some boat deck clear enamel on it. Looks great, is water proof and easy whipe off and easy fixable. I have it with my birch floor in the back of my BJ73.
Cheers Ralf

Plywood systems are great - infinitely variable.

Yeah, 80/20 is cool and all but I think the best way is just draw what you want, make models with cardboard or door skin plywood, then get 1" angle iron and weld your frame up. It can't work loose, takes up a lot less design space, and you can unscrew it and remove it easily if you want to. Plus you can drill into it and use its magnetic properties as needed. Cheap too.

More or less the final design.

Left side: 17"
Aisle: 14"
Right side: 25"
Total length (front to back): 76"

Design notes
  • Added a table (16" x 48") under the kitchen drawer. 2 front runner chairs go under the bench
  • Sink: I have decided not to have a sink inside on the counter space. one can always be added to the design.
  • Water tank will go under the bed. In the future, it may be moved underneath
  • Electrical system will be located be in the last cabinet on the left side
  • It will be build out 1/2" plywood. Does anyone have a recommendations on a specific type? birch? marine grade?
Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 9.06.31 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 9.06.52 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 9.11.10 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 9.03.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-20 at 9.05.14 PM.png

Last edited:
More or less the final design.

Left side: 17"
Aisle: 14"
Right side: 25"
Total length (front to back): 76"

Design notes
  • Added a table (16" x 48") under the kitchen drawer. 2 front runner chairs go under the bench
  • Sink: I have decided not to have a sink inside on the counter space. one can always be added to the design.
  • Water tank will go under the bed. In the future, it may be moved underneath
  • Electrical system will be located be in the last cabinet on the left side
  • It will be build out 1/2" plywood. Does anyone have a recommendations on a specific type? birch? marine grade?
Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

View attachment 3406650View attachment 3406651View attachment 3406652View attachment 3406653View attachment 3406655
Love this design!

Have you designed your kitchen slide? How are you going to wash dishes?

Birch plywood is what I used, very happy with the results.
I wouldn’t necessarily put in a “jack access” panel, but maybe it could be used for an air-down kit or similar. You’ll be using that way more often than a jack.
I wouldn’t necessarily install a table below the kitchen (not sure how useful that would be?) but would get a drop-down FrontRunner table instead. Honestly you don’t even necessarily need a slide-out kitchen if you have one of those…
If you’re alone, the bumper can serve as a fantastic mini-table for meals.
Agree on the lack of sink - if you’re wild-camping or camping in North America you generally don’t need indoor plumbing, gray water, etc. Unnecessary weight and complications. My favourite way of doing dishes when possible - paper plates and into the campfire when done. Otherwise, eat everything that’s on the plate and wash outside as normal.
Front Runner chairs are amazing, you won’t be disappointed.

Love this design!

Have you designed your kitchen slide? How are you going to wash dishes?
Thank you!

No, I haven't it yet. I will have a kitchen sink spray hose at the back so I may have a small "sink in the drawer. I travelled for a year out of Jeep and used 2 spray bottles (soapy water and clean water).

Birch plywood is what I used, very happy with the results.
I wouldn’t necessarily put in a “jack access” panel, but maybe it could be used for an air-down kit or similar. You’ll be using that way more often than a jack.
I wouldn’t necessarily install a table below the kitchen (not sure how useful that would be?) but would get a drop-down FrontRunner table instead. Honestly you don’t even necessarily need a slide-out kitchen if you have one of those…
If you’re alone, the bumper can serve as a fantastic mini-table for meals.
Agree on the lack of sink - if you’re wild-camping or camping in North America you generally don’t need indoor plumbing, gray water, etc. Unnecessary weight and complications. My favourite way of doing dishes when possible - paper plates and into the campfire when done. Otherwise, eat everything that’s on the plate and wash outside as normal.
Front Runner chairs are amazing, you won’t be disappointed.
Thank you for the feedback! Air-down kit will definitely be going in the jack access space. Regarding the table, it will pull out 100% camp table. I want the ability to sit and enjoy meals or even prep meals.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom