Builds "Lucy" the Troopy 2016 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you planning to build this yourself? What kind of shop do you have? I'd love to do a buildout like this, but don't have the tools or patience to do it.

Are you planning to build this yourself? What kind of shop do you have? I'd love to do a buildout like this, but don't have the tools or patience to do it.
Yes, I plan to build it myself. I have access to a shop. I will have mine built in a month or two. if you like it, I would be happy to build another.

Yes, I plan to build it myself. I have access to a shop. I will have mine built in a month or two. if you like it, I would be happy to build another.
I'll certainly let you know!

This past weekend, I sanded some surface rust in the gutter rails and also in the rear compartment in preparation for the Alu-Cab Pop Top installation. In 2 weeks, the roof is coming off.

IMG_0172.jpeg

IMG_0173.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

IMG_0331.jpeg

Last edited:
Rear Compartment of the Troopy

I am debating if I should raptor line or lizard skin the back or both. Driving the Troopy is very loud. Also, I will probably Lizard the inside of the side panels.

Any recommendations?

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0362.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely do it all, while it's apart. Pick a technology that works - adhesive mat, paint on, spray on, whatever. I think some kind of paint would be immensely easier on the floor with all those hills and valleys.

I am looking to replace my the side panels of my Troopy and the of the forum members here was awesome enough to send me the DXF file. I am debating if I should do ABS Plastic Sheet 48" X 96" X 1/16" or 1/4" Plywood. I am leaning towards the ABS Plastic but I'm suggestions or feedback.
Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 6.11.48 PM.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't use 1/16" plastic. Too flimsy. Even 1/4" would cost less than $200 and be much more substantial. Not sure what a sheet of cabinet grade plywood costs now, but I don't think it's that much. And personally I think 1/4" plywood is too flimsy, I'd go with 3/8". I wouldn't want it to bow in and stress the fasteners every time I leaned against it.

I wouldn't use 1/16" plastic. Too flimsy. Even 1/4" would cost less than $200 and be much more substantial. Not sure what a sheet of cabinet grade plywood costs now, but I don't think it's that much. And personally I think 1/4" plywood is too flimsy, I'd go with 3/8". I wouldn't want it to bow in and stress the fasteners every time I leaned against it.
The panels would be completely hidden, which is why I was thinking of using the thin 1/16” plastic. It’s lightweight and doesn’t need to be painted or stained. It would really be there just to prevent stuff from falling down into the side panels. What do you think?

The panels would be completely hidden, which is why I was thinking of using the thin 1/16” plastic. It’s lightweight and doesn’t need to be painted or stained. It would really be there just to prevent stuff from falling down into the side panels. What do you think?
I ordered mine from here:

Hercules Poptop was installed this past week and I couldn't be happier. It was installed by OK4WD, which is about an hour from my house in NJ. Their show room is a dangerous place if you are trying not to spend money. They have all the best gear.

I spent a year traveling the US, MX, and GT with a Jeep XJ that I modified and lived off out. This things feels like a mansion compared to it. Hopefully, in 2 weeks, I will take it on a test trip.

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

Last edited:
Got the Troopy all back together. I went for a quick drive and it sounds better even with the rear vinyl.
IMG_0675.jpeg

Last edited:
So the paint on sound deadener is a success?
Yes, it made a noticeable difference. I'm happy with end result. Spraying would have been quicker, but it was very easy to apply with a 3" roller and a brush for tighter areas. I still need to do the inside of doors, so I am looking forward to see more of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom