Builds "Lucy" the Troopy 2016 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got the plywood on order and all the CNC designs are ready. The plywood will take 2 weeks to be delivered, but I am very excited to see this become a reality.

If anyone wants a CNC interior build out designed and cut let me know. I have really enjoyed this process and I would like to make other designs.
Final View.png

Last edited:
I got the plywood on order and all the CNC designs are ready. The plywood will take 2 weeks to be delivered, but I am very excited to see this become a reality.

If anyone wants a CNC interior build out designed and cut let me know. I have really enjoyed this process and I would like to make other designs.
View attachment 3440991
Let me know how you like your build after implementation. Need to build mine out in 2024

View attachment 3440991

The car looks amazing and love your design.

No idea if its too late, but some feedback & idea's - feel free to ignore ;)

• Agree that switching the bench to the other sides makes sense with getting in and out with only one door open.
  • To open the long drawer you need to open a door. Can be a hassle when its night/dark/raining and you want access.
  • The long drawer opens across your large rear door - bit of a pain if you also intend to install a flip down table there (which I would highly recommend) - would be solved by moving the bench over to the other side.
  • A bed for bad weather / safety. Love your design. I went through the hassle om making a (admittedly much less sophisticated) way of achieving the same with insert boards - in the end, we never used them in over a 1,5 years of travel, we always slept in the flip up roof even in nasty weather.
  • Fridge location is a bit double. Now in a perfect location for access during camping & outside cooking. But it occupies one of the most valuable places in the interior when you're sitting inside cooking / reading a book / chilling / watching a movie.
  • The area behind the interior panels is huge and can store massive amounts of stuff you don't need regular access to (winter clothes in summer, maintenance spares, snorkelling gear, heavy tools etc). Its a hassle to access as you'll need to remove the furniture, but worth it if you need the space. And as you know, you have plenty of time during a long trip to remove the furniture if you're planning some major maintenance or moving to a different climate. Something to consider when deciding on how to fix the furniture to the car and designing the new panels.

Our design, feel free to steal any layout ideas ;)

Beautiful build! Love the 1HZ

I would recommend swapping the interior fit-out sides if its not too late.

It's easier to enter the vehicle if the bench is on the LHS.

You will need to open both doors to get out with the way it's set now.

Exciting times ahead!
After looking at my designs, I could swap the sides out. I will think about it.

Thank you!

The car looks amazing and love your design.

No idea if its too late, but some feedback & idea's - feel free to ignore ;)

• Agree that switching the bench to the other sides makes sense with getting in and out with only one door open.
  • To open the long drawer you need to open a door. Can be a hassle when its night/dark/raining and you want access.
  • The long drawer opens across your large rear door - bit of a pain if you also intend to install a flip down table there (which I would highly recommend) - would be solved by moving the bench over to the other side.
  • A bed for bad weather / safety. Love your design. I went through the hassle om making a (admittedly much less sophisticated) way of achieving the same with insert boards - in the end, we never used them in over a 1,5 years of travel, we always slept in the flip up roof even in nasty weather.
  • Fridge location is a bit double. Now in a perfect location for access during camping & outside cooking. But it occupies one of the most valuable places in the interior when you're sitting inside cooking / reading a book / chilling / watching a movie.
  • The area behind the interior panels is huge and can store massive amounts of stuff you don't need regular access to (winter clothes in summer, maintenance spares, snorkelling gear, heavy tools etc). Its a hassle to access as you'll need to remove the furniture, but worth it if you need the space. And as you know, you have plenty of time during a long trip to remove the furniture if you're planning some major maintenance or moving to a different climate. Something to consider when deciding on how to fix the furniture to the car and designing the new panels.

Our design, feel free to steal any layout ideas ;)

I appreciate the response. Your designs look great and probably very light. Never used the downstairs bed is ironic, because it was the most complicate part of my design.

I had a long drawer out the back of my Jeep, which I always liked. I guess the one big difference was the trunk opened up so I alway had a bit of cover. I was toying with the idea of cutting access holes in the space under the bed if it becomes an issue. In rainy and cold weather going outside will suck. You got me thinking about it.

It's tough designing a build out because there are always so many options and tradeoffs. For me, I kept the aisle open from front to back, width of the aisle a bit wider than needed, and the cabinet behind the driver seat relatively low to keep an open feeling. The slide out counters should come to an appropriate height for a desk to work on a laptop. This was a big priority for me; comfortable use of a laptop. The top drawers under the slide out counters will be for laptops.

I appreciate the response. Your designs look great and probably very light. Never used the downstairs bed is ironic, because it was the most complicate part of my design.

I had a long drawer out the back of my Jeep, which I always liked. I guess the one big difference was the trunk opened up so I alway had a bit of cover. I was toying with the idea of cutting access holes in the space under the bed if it becomes an issue. In rainy and cold weather going outside will suck. You got me thinking about it.

It's tough designing a build out because there are always so many options and tradeoffs. For me, I kept the aisle open from front to back, width of the aisle a bit wider than needed, and the cabinet behind the driver seat relatively low to keep an open feeling. The slide out counters should come to an appropriate height for a desk to work on a laptop. This was a big priority for me; comfortable use of a laptop. The top drawers under the slide out counters will be for laptops.

My considerations for sleeping downstairs:
The downstairs sleeping is very cramped with two people (no idea if you're travelling alone or together) if you have a high cabinet to one side like you've designed. This leaves about 80-90cm for the sleeping platform for two, so you're probably not going to get much sleeping done. An alternative for those exceptional nights is to 'sleep' in the drivers and passenger seat, you're going to have a s***ty night anyway.
But in my experience when you overland, you get to travel at your own pace and rarely get caught out and being forced to sleep somewhere you don't want to. As an example we only drove in the dark once. We had a no-night-driving-rule and stuck to it even if it meant sometimes not reaching a planned destination that day - so what, you'll reach it a day later. Therefor if you expect to end up in a 'unsafe'/cold/windy/rainy place, you can usually plan for a hotel for the night. But admittedly it can give peace of mind to have it as a back-up.

Understand your thinking with the aisle, nice to have it free. Also nice to have a desk/coutertop. If I would redesign ours, I'd make a slide out in the tall cabinet so you can sit on the bench and have a comfortable desk.

Another one you might consider (I'm convinced it should be possible, just didnt have the time to explore it) is to make either the passenger- or drivers seat swivel backwards. Not the full 180deg, but maybe 140-150deg. This will allow you to sit in a super comfortable seat, have your legs stretched in the aisle and be part of the living quarters. Not all evenings are tropical instagramable campfire/stargazing settings :oops:. You'll probably spend a surprising number of evenings parked on some depressing parking lot, trying to get away from crowds and chilling inside the cabin: might as well get comfortable!

I assembled most the cabinets and drawers and I am very happy with the results. I am impressed that I only needed to trim 1 board out of 75. Designing the buildout on 3D software and cutting on a CNC machine was a 100% worth it. I will do a longer write up about the entire process soon. I have learned a lot and have been taking a bunch of notes for the next version.
IMG_0917.JPG

Last edited:
I'm getting closer to finishing the initial build. It has been a bit more challenging than expected, but I'm happy with the result so far. I have learned so much during this process and I'm looking to forward to build another one to utilize all the lessons I learned from this 1st build into the next one.
IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

Last edited:
I am looking to replace my the side panels of my Troopy and the of the forum members here was awesome enough to send me the DXF file. I am debating if I should do ABS Plastic Sheet 48" X 96" X 1/16" or 1/4" Plywood. I am leaning towards the ABS Plastic but I'm suggestions or feedback.
View attachment 3409355

Hi troopyoverlander,

sorry out of topic... I'm currently rebuilding rear side panel. I've been trying to create one myself, but I'm having some difficulties.

Would you mind sharing your DXF file?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!!

Hi troopyoverlander,

sorry out of topic... I'm currently rebuilding rear side panel. I've been trying to create one myself, but I'm having some difficulties.

Would you mind sharing your DXF file?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!!
Yes, no problem. When I get home later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom