So I want an FJ 40 but... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm sorry I haven't gotten more done, but this damn Pokemon Go!!!!

(Kidding)

Last edited:
fantastic work.... I'd love more details on some of the stuff that seems so natural for you. on those side aprons I was right with you up until "and after some hammer and dolly work" as it went from a tape template to a beautifully replicated panel....I'll just try saying that next time maybe.... ;p

Seriously inspiring stuff. Its nice to know this stuff is possible as it seems so intimidating from afar.

fantastic work.... I'd love more details on some of the stuff that seems so natural for you. on those side aprons I was right with you up until "and after some hammer and dolly work" as it went from a tape template to a beautifully replicated panel....I'll just try saying that next time maybe.... ;p

Seriously inspiring stuff. Its nice to know this stuff is possible as it seems so intimidating from afar.

Basically all I did was hammer the edges of the steel over the edge of the wood. I didn't really do anything special for that.

I find this very interesting! I've never tried making a tape/flexible template before. But, I can easily see how that would be very helpful.

Arnott1t, experience is the key here. I know from my own experience with wood that I can show somebody how to do something, and tell them "it's easy". But, when they try the same thing they won't necessarily be proficient for a while. If I tried doing what metalshaper is showing us how to do, the first attempt would definitely not come out like his example. It may take me a while to come even close to replicating his example. That's called experience, and knowing what kind of hammer/tool to use at any specific point.

Metalshaper, I wish we didn't live so far apart. I would love to be able to spend some time with somebody of your talent, learning some of these tricks. I'm old enough now that I would never be any competition, but I sure would have fun learning for my own projects.

Don

Sorry for the delay, we have been very busy at the shop.

To answer some of your questions:
I had to do the other side so I took more pictures. Maybe this will fill in the blanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I want come and apprentice in your shop, your skills give me mad jealousy.

I want come and apprentice in your shop, your skills give me mad jealousy.

it's funny, I did sheet metal work since birth, fell off a roof, and got retrained 15 years ago.... I hated it then, love doing it now. However, had you said that to me 15 years ago, I'd have called you a bad word or three - now, it is fun to make metal do what I want it to do. That said, it still makes my wrists hurt to see him using his Pexto.

@catskinner - this is the build I was telling you about.

I'm really really sorry for the delay guys, yes I'm still working on it, actually two now. And on top of that a 18" stretch for the FJ40 as well. I had a customer come I. With a project that had to be done so I had to make sure I had the ok from my other customers as they were in line first. They were all cool with it but it caused me to be 2 months behind hehe. I'm playing the catch up game now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom